Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawks1282

Fallen Aloe Vera

hawks1282
14 years ago

Hello,

I have an aloe vera plant which I've had in my office for the past 2-3 years. Up till now it's been doing fairly well, with new leaves growing out every month or two. Over this past winter it began growing towards the window, and now it has turned completely sideways. Please see the pic here http://tinypic.com/r/10die6h/5

does anyone have any idea how I can get it growing in the right direction? I can't bring it home because we have cats, and I'm concerned about leaving it outside as I live in Southern NY (Rockland County) and we may still have frost before the summer gets into full swing.

Thank you in advance

Comments (7)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

We've got seven cats, Hawks, and they'll rub against and scent up a leaf tip, but they don't chew on it more than once - it's not to their taste.

It sounds as if it didn't get rotated in the winter - this is something you need to do for succulent plants if you want them to keep a balanced profile, particularly for those plants, like Aloes, that continue to grow in the winter.

You shouldn't have it outside until it's warm all the time (at least above 55F or so). I move my Aloes outside in late May.

Personally, after looking at your pic, I'd cut it and reroot it, the instructions for which can be found at the Aloe FAQ (see the link). The reason I suggest this is that the plant will never grow properly after its directional tilt - there's too much plant now to retrain.

LMK if you've any more questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's Chat Up Some Aloes

• jonaskragebaer
    14 years ago

have you watered it alot during this winter? it could look like its rotten at the bottom, also if a plant starts growing towards to light just turn it once in a while

• hawks1282
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info,

I had originally moved it because I was noticing teeth marks on most of the leaves and assumed it was the cats. Once I moved it the marks never appeared on new leaves. I would love to bring it back as it would get much more light there. I don't think the stem is rotted because it still feels solid (I would expect a rotted one to be soft). I only watered it once every 2-3 months.

I'll try looking at the re-rooting directions and see what can be done. Thanks

• hawks1282
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry but I didn't quite follow the re-rooting directions on the link you provided. Should I simply re-pot the plant with the top in the proper direction, or do I need to remove the existing roots and the stem below the curve.

I don't have any real experience re-rooting plants. This aloe is the only plant I've ever been able to keep alive and all I've ever done is re-pot it as it grew.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Hawks,

Yes, not the best information found there for your situation, is it?

You might get two plants out of this. What I would do is cut the plant at the point where it starts to curve, i.e. get as much of the plant with a straight stalk as you can. Set it aside for a week or so until the cut end heals. Then pot it up in a small amount of soil (small!) and support the stock/plant with rocks/wadded paper as the cut end rests slightly into the soil. Mist the plant only every several days, and ensure that the environment is well-lit and warm. In a month or two you'll have the cutting rooted and can repot into a regular pot.

The other piece (with the roots) might be able to be repotted and a new plant grown from the stem, but if you're going to choose btw the two, go with the cutting.

• hawks1282
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info cactusmcharris. I'd love to get two plants out of the deal if it's possible. I've been waiting for it to begin propagating for a long time now. I'll bring it home and give your suggestion a try over the weekend and try to post pics as it develops. Thanks again.

• magnetico
    11 years ago

Your aloe was leaning toward the window in an attempt to get more light. Aloe vera will do this, I've had it happen with my plants.

I repotted them in a brighter location outside (they were indoors) and put the root/stalk in whatever position I needed to in order to get the plant growing upright again. Some needed to be propped up with a rock to help support them. It seems to have worked, but I haven't repotted them since I did this and examined the growth of the roots. If you can't put them in a brighter location than you will definitely want to rotate the plant every few days, but that's probably a good idea even for plants that do get adequate sunlight, especially if their exposure is only on one side of the plant.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH