Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelberry6

Epiphyllum oxypetalum (sickly plant?)

angelberry6
10 years ago

Hi there, I am new to these forums and I didn't know what category this came under...anyways, I purchased a cutting of this plant about 5 years ago when I hadn't done enough research into this plant, and decided to let my dad look after it for me, (bad idea since he had no idea either).

Well to keep a long story short, he pretty much drowned the poor plant in water, thinking it might be similar to his cacti (it was also in poor soil, and infected with blackfly). The plant was only just a stem and a few leaves, and has only recently made such a growth since last year when I re-potted it.

What surprised me the most was when I was re-potting it, the roots were so small, smaller than just the stem and weren't looking so good, I thought it had root rot. I was devastated, but I still believed giving it better soil with added nutrients might just help it.
Every leaf it would grow would turn brown and shrivel up, and as you can see from the picture it was in a pretty bad condition before.

I'm just a bit worried now, because the growth of the plant has slowed down - and I don't water it as much as I used to, do you think I should either take cuttings from the plant, re pot it again (I hear they prefer smaller pots) or just give it fertilizer?

I know that story seemed a little unnecessary, it just baffles me how I have had this plant for quite some time and not much has happened to it (growth wise, though I know it is to do with it's previous condition)

Thanks

Comments (3)