Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scsva

Snake Plant

scsva
12 years ago

I'm looking for a solid dark green snake plant that I saw in a hospital office. I've never seen any but the variegated ones. This seems to be rather tall (grows like the regular ones that you see in the big box stores each year) but seems to have a little more narrow leaf. I hope I'm not being too rambly but does anyone know where I can purchase one???

Thanks so much,

Susan

Comments (26)

• elichka
    12 years ago

I would try ebay. krimsonkreek has wide variety. I had good experience.
    Inna

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

I don't think any tall Sansevieria are solid dark green. (I've seen light green, but they're not very tall.) The S. cylindrica has some cross banding, but the leaf shape is not the same as the usual plants at the box stores. Most have cross banding or different colored margins. Are you sure the plants were live & not plastic?

The only dark green one I can find is a short one, Sansevieria robusta, Futura type.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

I've seen tall ones that are "almost" all green. Rather then having yellow in them, they have a bit of a lighter colored green streaking.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's some

• mfyss
    12 years ago

Maybe S. nelsonii comes close to dark green and tall, but ... Yale

Here is a link that might be useful: S. nelsonii

• greenjay
    12 years ago

Well, if you ever find one, and it blooms, get any cuttings off that you want , because once they bloom, they're goners !
    I had a huge one ( the standard green and yellow variety ) when i lived in NC and one day i noticed something "different" , it turned out to be a bloom stem . I asked my aunt about it, and she said , get cuttings off it...or else...lol i did not heed her words . I wish i did ! within a week of the bloom dying off, the whole plant did as well...fast !

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Greenjay, my plants have bloomed many times & have not died after. Not sure if that particular stalk that bloom died, as there were others. But they live on!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Jay,

Rosemarie's experience was the same as mine - your plant's death wasn't caused by flowering, but something else. And it's somewhat unusual to see a dead one - I never have.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Susan,
    Below is the link to Bob Smoley's Gardenworld. He has one you might be looking for.
    #10008, Sansevieria T~ Black Sprot (Austrian Black), for $15.00. Tall growing and almost no crossbanding.
    http://www.bobsmoleys.com/sansev.html#

• dem_pa
    12 years ago

My plant didn't die after it bloomed.

{{gwi:509684}}

My hoya is wrapped around my plant.
    {{gwi:509686}}

Don

• greenjay
    12 years ago

hmmm interesting...when mine bloomed it looked almost exactly like a BIG , greenish, peace lily flower , and yes, it was definately a snake plant , and yes, it was the only plant in the pot . It actually rose a little over the top of the plant's stalks , and lasted approximately 4-5 days, seemed to have no discernible fragrance . Within a few days of the bloom dying back , the entire plant simply died....lol I SWEAR it's true !

• dem_pa
    12 years ago

The scent from the bloom was so strong in the evening that I could only be near for a short time.

Don

12 years ago

Greenjay,
    I believe you. Sans are related to Agaves and they die after their bloom. Same as yuccas. There are so many different species of sans out there, I bet you might have had a rare one. Wish you took pictures of it also where did you get it. Do they know any background on this.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Peace Lily flowers are characteristic of Aroid blooms. I can't imagine how a Sans. would have a bloom type from a totally different family of plants. The Sans. blooms I've seen in pix, don't look anything like that, sorry, perplexing.

• greenjay
    12 years ago

Stush ~
    I had the plant for several years, and for the life of me, I cannot remember where in the world it came from ! It was HUGE when it bloomed/died .....The flower was almost identical to Peace Lily type bloom, except much larger and very greenish in color... It grew to almost the tops of the tallest plant stalks , or leaves..it was so green in fact , that if you weren't actually looking for the bloom, you might not have seen it..it blended that well with the plant itself. Sorry , no pics were taken at the time, this was maybe 10 years ago...came as quite the surprise at the time, as until then , i had NO idea that they even bloomed haha ! Just one of those plants that you take for granted, until......
    Jay

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Stush,

Not true with Yuccas - they are not monocarpic.

12 years ago

Jeff, my yuccas die after the following year after blooming. There are more babies sprouting up all around it at it's base but the bloom stock dies. It stays green the rest of the year after blooming but no new growth and fully dead the following year. I even cut off a newly forming bloom stock and still lost the mother plant. There are tree yuccas that are not hardy here in my zone 6 that may not die. Yucca filamentosa is the kind I have in my garden.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Sorry Jay,

"The flower was almost identical to Peace Lily type bloom"

Sorry, but if above was true, then I maintain it simply CANNOT have been a Sans; something is not right in this story.

• greenjay
    12 years ago

~ pirate_girl ~
    I swear,by whatever God you believe in as my witness, I have always had a snake plant in my home since the age of 5....it was a snake plant , and it produced the type of bloom that I have described....i DO wish that I had taken a picture, but simply did not .
    Jay

12 years ago

Well Jay, Agreeing with Karen on this, I believe you have a very close looking plant to a Sansevieria. It is the flowers that the experts group plants together with. Can you look over other sites to see a similar flower and then look up all cultivars to that type.
    I am not calling you wrong. I believe just mistaken. Boy how I wish you got pictures. Got me interested in this.
    Please do not take an offence over this. We post here to learn and make some friends as well.

• greenjay
    12 years ago

haha ~ NEVER offense taken, and most certainly not at spirited discussion.....haha
    Jay

• Birgha
    12 years ago

Back to the original topic of all-green snake plants:
    I don't know whether there are unvariegated varieties that actually grow that way to begin with.
    But I DO know that if you propagate a variegated snake plant via leaf cuttings, the "offspring" will most likely be solid green. If you Google "propagating variegated snake plant," you'll get several results stating that (a) all leaf-cutting snake plant babies will be solid green or (b) it's more than likely they'll be solid green. Something to do with the cells used in propagation. I can attest to that, because I currently have solid green babies growing from variegated cuttings.
    Anyway, if you really want a solid green snake plant, you can grow one yourself if you can get someone who owns a variegated plant to give you a healthy "leaf." But -- as I can tell you from personal experience -- it doesn't happen quickly! And you have to do it correctly; for instance, if you don't put the right end of the cutting in the soil, it won't grow. The Google results will tell you how, if you want to pursue it.
    Good luck!

• Ron4310
    12 years ago

Jay I have green and variegated Sansevieria and they both bloom off and on for years and the plants never die.

11 years ago

Birgha,
    Your partly correct. I started some Sans. tri~ Laurentii leaves that broke off my plant. Two leaves that I rooted in water and planted in a pot produced 4 to 6 sprouts that were green with bands of lighter green. Reverted to Sans. trifasciata. After about two years, I gave it to my brother's wife.
    {{gwi:509688}}
    The leaves do get very dark green in time due to I have to bring inside to a darker area for 7 months out of the year. Here is a dark sans I sent to a friend.
    {{gwi:509691}}
    It is not what they are looking for. Close but this one gets wider leaves and medium growth.

• Birgha
    11 years ago

It's possible that rooting whole leaves won't have the same effect as rooting leaf cuttings, in which you actually cut the leaf into rectangular pieces and root them. At any rate, some of the sources said you'll for sure get all green babies and others said probably, so anything goes.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Sorry Susan,

I have no suggestion for you; I grow multiple (mostly no ID) Sans but no variegates except one, otherwise I love variegates & collect them in other plants but not in Sans.

I have a lot of rescue Sans & Sans I've started from leaves & they tend to have the light dark green banded w/ lighter green as Stush has shown.

May I pls digress long enough to ask

Hi Ron,

Do you do anything special to make your Sans. bloom? Or do you think perhaps it's more a function of age?

11 years ago

Karen,
    Sorry to butt in but mine didn't bloom this winter like usual. I think the use of fertilizer high in potash may help trigger it to bloom. Just guessing. I don't fertilize mine. They grow too big now. I would like to know as well.
    Stush