Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best winter succulent care?

Posted by elizabethaw zone 5 SE WI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 14:30

I've got a small group of succulents (various echeveria, kalanchoe thyrsiflora, aeoniums, and a few more I haven't been able to identify!). During the summer they go outside and seem very happy. In the winter, the best I can do is a west-facing window. I try not to overwater, but I still managed to kill a lithops (a totally cool one that had just bloomed...). The sunlight just isn't that strong here in the winter.

Soon they'll be able to go outside again and be happy! Any tips for keeping them healthy over the winter?

Thanks!
Elizabeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best winter succulent care?

I don't know about the others but the Lithops is easy. If it had flowered then it needed no water at all until at least now and possibly still another couple of months.

o

lithops are very sensitive to water, non in the winter, little in the summer. South facing window anywhere in your house? Make sure your mix drains very well, allow to dry between watering, no or very little fert in winter.

if your cacti get too fussy, stick them outside for a couple hours, that'll make them appreciate what they have inside. (just kidding)

good luck,
-Ethan

o

If you can find a place that is cold but not freezing, you can keep many succulents in a state of suspended animation, especially those that are active during the summer months (NOT Lithops!). Light is not required if the plants are dormant.

Echeverias will definitely survive nicely, they can be treated like cactus in that regard; aeoniums might be trickier since they are mediterranean plants, and kalanchoe depends on the species, K. thyrsifolia will be OK, I've been successful with 2 of mine. The keys are not to water, use a dense soil mix that doesn't become bone dry, and fresh air.

In my opinion, the plants will suffer much more while struggling with low light and warm temperatures, which will result in weak plants more prone to disease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here