Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's in that big pot

Posted by pennyhal 11Sunset23 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 15:04

I see photos in books and on this forum of huge pots, but not really huge plants in them. Like in a book there was this photo of a Graptoveria Fred Ives succulent in this huge fat pot that was at least a couple of feet tall. Or there was a photo of Sedum Jelly Bean in a really tall pot. And there was one with several Echerveria After Glow in this huge pot. It doesn't seem to me that these plants would have such deep roots or need such deep pots.

When these plant are put in these pots, is the entire pot filled with soil? Or do they put some sort of fillers in the bottom of the pots first?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's in that big pot

Good question, Penny!

When I use a large/tall pot (when I know the plant's roots don't need the room): I put some screening at the bottom, use a lot of styrofoam peanuts (helps so pot isn't too heavy), then another large piece of screen (like that used on windows) or landscape fabric, then soil & the plant (top dressing optional).

o

Rosemarie and Penny I too either use peanut Styrofoam and for the same reasons , lightened weight and you don't have to use a whole lot of nice soil cuz your right , they don't need it, I like the screen idea too, if I remember correctly someone mentioned the peanuts would work there way up to the top, well they haven't yet but just incase they start skoooting up the screen could eliminate that.

Greg

o

Now that makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

Penny

o

Rosie: What a fantastic idea! None of my plants are really large enough to put into big pots yet, but now that I know this trick, I'll definitely use it when the time comes. Thanks for sharing!

*CG*

o

You just want to be sure whatever tall pot you use isn't going to tip over with the weight of the plant at the top. So you might put a few rocks at the bottom. Big/tall pots seem a waste to me, unless you're grouping together & want varying heights. (Or for other reasons, like a handicapped person needs because they can't lean over so far...or like pillars at either side of an entrance. Well, you get my drift.)

o

Another method is to use plastic pots turned upside down - it takes up volume but not weight.

o

I think the bigger pots are mainly used as a decorative statement around homes. I had wanted to get some, but decided on stone pillars with smaller pots on top instead as I didn't know how to handle the biggies. Probably a better choice for me in the long run until I have more experience in keeping plants alive for a while.

o

Penny,

I'm too lazy to get a pic right now, but it's easily visualized - put the pillar into the big pot, with smaller pots arranged at the base of the exposed portion of the pillar / soil line. Believe me, it works well. It's also added proof that one is a pillar of the community. Don't get me talking about plinths now...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here