Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianashh

Haworthia about to bloom

dianashh
10 years ago

I've had this plant for 4-5 months now and today I was very surprised to see that it's about to bloom� I wonder what the flower is gonna be like� I'm expecting a white flower :)

Comments (10)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That looks great! Well done.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Nice Haworthia...Unfortunately the flowers are nothing spectacular, they are small, and green and white.

Christopher

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

As Christopher has said, sadly, Haworthia flowers aren't as spectacular as one might want and not to disappoint you, but you've got a few weeks before your spike has open flowers. That spike will extend more than 6" before flowers will open. Having said this, certainly, it may open sooner and not extend as long.

• dianashh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you guys for replying!!! I went to Carrefour today and ended up buying an another plant. It's a bit bigger than the one that I have so still not sure if it's exactly the same or not. Happy about it :) it's the one on the right
    I also have a zebra plant and its flowers are exactly the same as the picture that bikerdoc posted in the comment above :)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

When you say, "Zebra plant", are you making reference to Aphelandra squarrosa or to Haworthia fasciata and/or other Haworthia that look somewhat like H. fasciata?

Both of your new Haws look to be the same and may be Haworthia cuspidata??????

• dianashh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was referring to Haworthia fasciata! :)

I don't think that it's Haworthia cuspidata as the leaves on my Haw are a bit too plain compared to Haworthia cuspidata, but I don't know⦠could be! thanks :D

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

What's commonly called Zebra plant isn't a Haworthia & doesn't look like them either.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Karen, before you judge so quickly, please take into consideration, honestly I think it depends on the country you come from...My friend in the Philippines talks of a Zebra plant, and and she is indeed talking about Haworthia fasciata.

And honestly, Howard, do you really think Diana would be referring to a totally different genus, the non-succulent Aphelandra?

Christopher

This post was edited by kaktuskris on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 22:52

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

OK let's chill for a moment and take a deep breath... Christopher makes some good points. And not in defense of Karen or myself, and considering this is a C&S forum and I should have understood diana was referencing the Hawothia and not the Aphelandra but I believe it is more common, maybe not, that the Aphelandra is more know to most as a "Zebra Plant". So let's put this to rest. Diana clarified in her note what she meant and let's all move on.

• dianashh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was referring to the succulent of course since this is a C&S forum :) In Jordan, we refer to it as Zebra plant :)