Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very sad (dying?) succulent in great need of some help!

Posted by vviola none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 15:19

i bought this succulent (not even sure what kind it is) at a gallery back in january. i think the problem started with me accidentally over watering it, and it not getting enough sun. the leaves became visibly unhealthy, even a few black spots appeared, until i moved it in a place with a lot more sun. although doing this made it lose all it's green (now the leaves look almost purple), the top appears to be doing okay but the rest of the leaves are drooping? there is no fullness to the leaves at all, and i'm scared to water it again... also, there seems to be a indent in most of the leaves, as seen in the picture. it's also gotten craaazy taller than it was when i first bought it.

i have no idea where to start to get this little guy better! i imagine i'll have to propagate the healthy leaves on the top because the roots are damaged, but i'm not quite sure. i'm a first time succulent owner, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very sad (dying?) succulent in great need of some help!

It is tall due to not enouph sun. Those crystals look like salt chystals. they hurt the plant. try removing that mix and giving it a cactus mixture

o
RE: very sad (dying?) succulent in great need of some help!

Personally, I'd whack it just where the dying leaves are. allow it ot callous and plant it in good mix. Then remove all the dying leaves and you might get some pups growing from the remaining stem. The stuff that looks like salt is more probably a course sand as a top dressing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here