Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant ID needed!

Posted by jez00i none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 15:22

Hi there! I purchased this plant at a succulent/cactus sale...only to realize when i got it home, it had no tag...and i dont remember what the gentleman that sold me on it called it.
anyone have a clue? would appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant ID needed!

Thats no succulent! It is a armyillis. here is some care info
http://www.amaryllis.com/pac.htm

o

yeah, i am not sure about that...they had larger specimens and they did not look like mature amaryllis plants...the leaves are lined with very fine hairs all around the edges.

This post was edited by jez00i on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 15:53

o

Hamanthus: A South African succulent bulb in the Amaryllidaceae family.

You might want to not have it in two pots like that.

o

thank you mrlike2u, i also thought it was a Haemanthus coccineus...i just purchased it 2 hours ago, so its not in its permanent pot yet. any tips on care would be appreciated! thanks!

This post was edited by jez00i on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 16:24

o

Looks like Clivia to me.

o

it does look like Clivia...ugh!

o

I agree as well. It looks like a clivia to me.

o

Jez00i, did you say YOUR plant has fine hairs around the edge of the leaves? If so, it is not Clivia. Can you take a closer shot-maybe from the side?

o

Now that i see it. It can be clivia. Please show a photo of the base. I will stick to armarllis

o

It won't let me edit my response...so,
IF your plant has fine hairs on the leaf edges, my vote goes to Haemanthus.

o

The only thing that makes me think clivia is those flattened leaves

o

Even at ten X filter close up I think it would be difficult to focus for a pic of the fine hairs on a Haemanthus
Enjoy the shaving brush shape flower will be nice to see it later if we may.
They're not difficult at all, usual 6-8 bright to full sun as any bulb just be careful.... if.... you water cant really suggest when you should or even if you should.... In the natural enviro It's the fine hairs that collect enough.

Edit working here via borrowed the correct spelling

This post was edited by mrlike2u on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 18:09

o

hello everyone! it does indeed have fine hairs...I will post a photo later today. thanks again for all your input! much appreciated :)

o

Im still thinking clivia or ar. can you please show a photo of the base too

o

Aha! Fine hairs point to Haemanthus. If/when it blooms, would love to see a pic of it...then you can figure out species!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here