Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Misplaced Succulent or Evil Life Sucking Weed?

Posted by bellpepperguy California Livin (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 15:32

Since I brought my Kalanchoe home this growth has been with the plant. While it's obviously not the same plant the texture of the leafs feel similar to the kalanchoe (just not as fuzzy) and the leafs have that succulent feel. I dont know I'd describe it as almost a leaf encasing a soft jelly?

Anyway I left this thing alone because I thought it wasnt an issue. As I look closer at it (and as it becomes bigger and bigger) I am questioning whether it's a weed that must be punished or if it's some succulent that spawned by accident at the nursery. Anyone able to help?

P.S. reading this back I rambled....sorry

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Misplaced Succulent or Evil Life Sucking Weed?

I believe it is a desirable plant. I think it is Kalanchoe bracteata, Silver Teaspoons (might be the common name). The flowers are a bit different than most Kalanchoe.

o

Many thanks from me (and the Kalanchoe bracteata) for the ID!

o

First picture is of Kalanchoe bracteata aka Silver Teaspoons; second picture shows Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang'--both very desirable plants. Congrats!

o

And to further elaborate / belabour, it's K. bracteata v. bracteata.

o

Good grief! It does look a little scary! Let me try out my growing vocabulary. Would these evil life sucking fangs properly be called leaf extenstions?

Penny

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 22:59

I love both. The Kalanchoe bracteata is especially up my alley--on the wish list!

o

Colleen,

Save your money - I can send you some cuttings along with your crest.

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 11:40

!! :)

So noted, Jeff.

o

The main plant is the 'Fang' but I was never sure if the silver teaspoon plant was a weed that needed to be removed or a true succulent.

Here is the whole 'Fang', the Silverspoon is hiding in the back ;)

Photobucket

o

Who dat shadow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here