Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

"Can We See Your Garden Art & idea's"

hijole
10 years ago

Here's one I enjoying grouping to together, right about to plant all these in the ground and then make a bunch of um.

Greg

Comments (12)

• teengardener1888
    10 years ago

You always have gorgeous succulents, nice combo:)

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Here's one idea. I was running out of room so I built a tower. It was more work than I anticipated because of the angles. Had to really secure the plants in the dirt and figure out which ones looked well together that would stay in tight so they would not fall out. I stuck with greens and purples. They've all potted nicely but now, the squirrels keep messing with it. Ugh!

However, they are always worth it and provide me with many hours of pleasure!

Lorrie

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lorrie, thats quite a balancing act there, heres the only thing I could come close too a tower and its my old ladder with succulents on the rungs :) How did u secure them or is it one piece?

Greg

• cactus_cowboy
    10 years ago

Rocks and cacti, perfect together. Here's Echinocereus triglochidiatus in bloom last year.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Holy crap Greg, That picture is some thing. What colors! That should win some kind of award.
    BTW What happened to that sans in the back ground. Used it for a ladder.
    cactus_cowboy, Nice use of land. Makes us northern's jealous.
    Stush

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

As always, great groupings, Greg!
    (Just a curious thing, when I view your post responses in email, it seems using the quotes for your post titles makes them all come listed as: Response from Gardenweb.)

Terrific balancing act, Lorrie! Like the tower!

Is that you, Dave?!? Fabulous plants you have there in WY! Also wish I had some of your rocks!

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cactus_ cowboy, what a great rock garden you put together and those ruby red flowers are nice gems to go with it that would put a smile on anone passing by.

Stush, Sometimes when we don't have our Cactus glasses on we step on things that we don't mean too.
    (What happpened to them anyway, The cactus glasses. They seemed to have been Hyjacked again.?)
    Thanks also Stush.

Rosemarie, thanks girl. I learn alot from you all on here, I'm serious about that too. I'm sorry to say I have No idea how that happens with what you mentioned about the email posts, Lol... i'm sure if I was trying to do that it would'nt work out either :/ What exactly happens?

Come on and share some of your guy's projects so we can all see & get some ideas.

Greg

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Greg: I love your ladder! What combos. Aren't you in Corona, CA? Since I'm only a hop, skip or jump away, I'd love to come over some weekend and drool over your plants. Can we set something up?

For others interested in my tower, i was running out of space so I had the idea to go up. I have a small backyard with dogs so I don't have many plants in the back. I used a 4 foot piece of rebar picked up at the local Home Depot for under $4, & pounded it an inch or so in the dirt in the path next to my walkway. Used a big clay pot on the bottom, ( they are all clay pots) as the base, just pushed the pot down to the bottom of the rebar. The next pot, and all subsequent ones, I pushed the pot down the rebar and then leaned it to the right on top of the bottom pot, resting it on the edge. The next pot, pushed it through the hole down the pole so to speak and rested it on the left edge and so on until the top pot which ended up on the right. The tip of the rebar is barely visible to the left of the top pot.

The biggest challenge was trying to figure out which succulents to use. I wanted to use two colors, purple and green. I tried to use some that were trailing, some that are short and squat and some that grow higher upright. I had to really pack the soil down hard so the plants would not fall out until they are really established. Finally covered the soil with shells and sea glass. They obviously need to be watered from the top down, sort of slowly so as to not lose any soil. I've included a picture of the whole tower.

We have a lot of walkers on my street and when people stop to comment, they think the rebar is bent. For some, it's hard to convince otherwise. My next one will not be tilted pots. I'm going to just stack them and use succulents around the outside of each ring. If anyone else has done this, I'd like to see what plants you have used. Enjoy!

• cactus_cowboy
    10 years ago

That's a very clever idea with the stacked pots on rebar.

Yes, Rosemarie, it's me, Dave. :)

• Vladimir Todt
    8 years ago

cactus_cowboy(z4 WY):

Which species of Pediocactus and Sclerocactus (+localities) you have in your rock garden?

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    8 years ago

Lcandena, on your next attempt, run a little 1/4" poly tubing along the rebar to the top. Then attach a microspray on top of it. The water will cascade down all the pots. You can just use a hose connection on the other end.