Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

MAJOR cut back of unruly jade! Thoughts?

cfox248
10 years ago

So, a long time ago I bought a jade. A little, one stemmed thing with about a dozen leaves. It was doing well in my bedroom - this is in my high school days, so it got really no light. Cut to me going to camp for a month. Mom went in to care for them, bumped it - and ALL the leaves fell off!

Since then, it stays outside in the summer and in a windowsill in the winter. It's the happiest jade in the house (we have several). However, I've been unhappy with it, since the branches grow every direction except up. Some dipped down to the table, then started growing up like a big U-pipe. Some grew sideways, making the plant seriously lean. It was wild.

So, I chopped it. Most of it. It's mostly just a trunk now. I used a sterile X-Acto knife and made as few open wounds as possible. Here's some before pics and some after pics. I'm seriously concerned that I chopped to much and it will die but Jades are extremely hardy plants. If it can survive after all of its leaves fell off I think it'll be okay. As it is it's a very healthy plant, shooting out new growth year round.

Please don't mind the spider plant in the Jade pot. My spider grew a baby, but it was too little to support a baby and still grow (I wanted it to get bigger, so off came baby). And because I have too much empathy for plants and couldn't throw it away, I just stuck it in the dirt in the jade pot, expecting it to die a few months back. Well, it flourished. It'll get its own pot in the mass spring replanting we do. Neither plant seems upset to be sharing soil so I figure it can wait until then.

Planning on taking the biggest gorgeous branches I cut and turn them into Jade bonsais. I plan to do maintenance pruning as it grows to keep it growing how I want instead of letting it grow wild and do its own thing again.

What do you think? Top three are before, last two is after.

{{gwi:510921}}

{{gwi:510924}}

{{gwi:510925}}

{{gwi:510926}}

{{gwi:510927}}

Comments (7)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It looks much better...but it's going to need significantly more light for good development of the new growth. Low-light is the cause for the growth in the before pics. I would also recommend a Summer re-potting into a more porous mix.

You did not chop too much....although perhaps a bit prematurely. New growth comes in more compact and upright if the plant is pruned closer to Summer.

Josh

• cfox248
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

It is not on that table permanently. I moved it there to chop and get pictures. Otherwise it sits in a nice sunny windowsill for the winter (can't exactly leave the poor thing outside). In the summer it's put outside as soon as it's warm enough and then it absolutely explodes in new growth.

I think that to prevent the leggy growing in the future, I'll pinch off anything that starts to sprout or grow inside. It does get good light, in a SE facing window - but I suppose not enough for the new growth to be thick and compact.

I really debated waiting to trim, but in the spring it needs new dirt/repotting (like you said), and I've read that repotting and pruning at the same time is a no-no. And I didn't want to wait to prune till mid summer when it's madly growing, since I want the whole growing season to go towards helping it bush back up. I'm crossing my fingers that (somehow) spring comes early this year!

This post was edited by cfox248 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 16:17

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It's best to wait until it is madly growing to do your pruning.
    I would prune, then re-pot two weeks after - sometime around June.

Judging from the old growth alone, one can see that the light has been insufficient for several seasons. The habit of the branches and the angle of the leaves - as well as the deep green color - shows the affects of low light.

Josh

• cfox248
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree with you, after looking at some pics of really happy healthy jades. I think the pinching of new growth inside can remedy that (and a grow light!). I've got one grow light, I'll have to look into getting a second one for the winter. Summer won't be an issue but sadly in Minnesota we have more winter than summer.

Determined to do right this time. Guess I should have waited to chop, but ah well. Next time I know for the next Jade that needs trimming. I've got a good soil in mind, too, for it to be potted to come spring.

• sradleye
    10 years ago

Those spider plants grow lots of roots. I feel like if you leave the two together, the spider plant will win sooner or later.

• cfox248
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spider plant is being evicted soon to its very own pot, and then given to my roommate. It's definitely not a permanent home. I've dug around it with a spoon a few times to cut any extra long roots that might threaten the jade, which will make it easier to pull out anyways so it's got a pretty small root ball.

Jade will be getting some new soil too. Didn't really expect it to live in the first place in there, but boy was I proven wrong.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Follow Josh's advice, and you will do no wrong. Sufficient light is crucial for proper growth on Jades. If you don't remedy the low light situation, whacking your Jade will serve no purpose. I grow mine mainly right against south facing windows over winter with good results, and no need for supplemental lighting. I also use a clay pot for better drainage.

Click on this link for a view of one of my Jades doing well lately...

Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: My Jade...

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!