Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angt29

New Jade

Hi. I've searched around the internet to try and answer my question, but I have been most successful at finding information regarding more established jade plants. I'm sure this is a basic question, so I thank anyone in advance who can answer it for me.

Last spring my daughter brought home a small jade cutting from school. At the time it was in a very tiny container, probably an inch or so high and with just one or two leaf sets. It grew rapidly and in the fall I transplanted it into a slightly larger container. It has continued to grow rapidly and is now a single trunk 3.5 inches tall and has ten leaf sets (the widest measuring 2 3/4 inches). The lowest set is just above the soil level. When I transplanted I put it at the same soil level it was at in its original container.

I can attach a picture if anyone needs it, but there isn't much to the plant. :) My question regards its single trunk status, and how and when it will branch out. All the leaf sets grow off of a single stem, and of course I see pictures of jade plants with several branches coming off of a main trunk. From what I have read (though the information could be wrong), they are strongest off of a single trunk. But how do I get it to branch out? Should I just leave it alone for awhile longer since it is still relatively small? Do I pinch it at a certain point to encourage multiple branches? It seems to be thriving, but I'm unsure of how to help it take shape.

Thanks so much for your time!

Comments (10)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

So you have a plant with a single stem at 3.5". This isn't very tall. You determine what you want for its height and cut the top off or if you want it at its current height, simply pluck off the very distal top of the plant. This will remove the meristem and new branches will grow from the trimmed tip; usually two will grow out. As these get longer, repeat the process. If you allow the branches to get too long, they will droop down with time.

This picture is a very small branch of a larger jade, but it serves the purpose of demonstrating what I have said. If you remove the end leave, branches will grow from that end point. The same thing happens when jades flower. After the flowers die, new growth will develops as branching.

• angt29 (Minnesota, zone 4b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I almost pinched off the top leaves, and then thought better of it and decided to post here first. :)

I know it's silly, but this plant has sentimental value to me since my daughter worked on it at school. I don't want to kill it! Anyhow, I also considered cutting it about the fourth leaf set, which hits the stem at two inches. It seemed like multiplying branches would be more stable lower down on the stem. There are six leaf sets in that last 1.5 inches, so they are definitely gathered more toward the top. If I do pinch right at the top, just removing that last leaf set, will the bottom grow stable enough to support multiple branches at that point? I'm guessing the trunk gets thicker as it grows. Does a jade grow from the bottom up at all, or just from the tips as new growth (I'm asking in terms of height, not new leaves)?

In short, am I better off cutting it about two thirds off, or will it be just fine if I pinch it right at the top?

I know I'm probably over-thinking this. I'm sorry to bother and I do really appreciate your help. This is my last question. :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

It would be helpful if you post a photo.
    Howard is giving you excellent advice, seeing your plant would make it easier to make suggestions appropriate for your plant.
    Rina

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture to help. Sorry about the orientation of the picture. I took a vertical picture, and it shows up vertically on my computer, but will only appear horizontally here. I think it's gives the idea, though. Thanks.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

Your plant is young & small. You asked for help & got some experienced growers here to make suggestions; I see you're still hesitant.

Since you suggested as much, yes, it seems you are overthinking this. But I can understand your sentimental reasons, as you said.

You've been given good cousel by folks who know their stuff, of course, you're welcome to follow it or not.

I have no dog in this race, just wish to assure you that folks here would never give advice which might hurt your plant. With such a small plant & a single stem you got plenty of time to consider your options.

For further reading, pls. Search here for Wacking Jades or anything like that; there's a great deal to read around here about these plants & their care. You'll be able to see how severely folks sometimes cut back their plants & some of their great results for having done so.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Yes, good advice given :-)

I would only add that it appears your Jade is a small-leafed variety, perhaps 'Crosby's Compact,' and if pinched/pruned it will certainly branch.

I recently pruned two small Jades (to shorten them for room in a pot of other Jades), and they leafed out quickly. And, yes, the Jade's trunk will thicken to accommodate the upper branches as they grow.

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much. It didn't seem like the trunk could handle much more upper growth. It seems like it's going to flop over, but I will try pinching off the top set of leaves and trust that it will continue growing. Thanks again!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

It is true that this type of Jade especially will flop over when it grows too tall. I've had that happen :-)

Josh

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Kind of like this, Josh? LOL I need to get to work on a few compact jades that are drooping. There is a nice branching top on this one. (that's a 4 inch pot)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of what I've recently done to my Crosby's Compact jade to give you some idea of what can be done. The mother plant is on the right in the green pot and 3 pots of cuttings off it are to it's left...not sure if the cuttings will make suitable plants, but given time and further pruning, who knows. The mother plant is shaping up nicely though as the trunk is much sturdier........sorry for pic quality as it's been heavily cropped. Jades are really tough and will withstand severe 'whacking'.
    Gill UK

{{gwi:511974}}

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio