Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemariero6

Have Cactus Shades, Will Travel!!

rosemariero6
12 years ago

Like Have Guns, Will Travel??!! (it's an old western TV show-I barely remember)

As bantered about in some previous posts, we thought it'd be fun to have the cactus sunglasses (shades) that I wore for a recent C&S show sent to other people on the forum, to snap your pic & post here! Have some fun!!

Some basic guidelines:

Each person who receives them is expected to snap a photo of ther own mug with the shades on...at a location of your choice...but preferrably with some succulents in the pic! Then you come back to THIS post...put your mugshot with the shades & see who else has commented on this thread that wants them sent their way! It's up to you to get that person's snail mail addy (via their GW page).

There is a small booklet sent with the cactus sunglasses...like a guest book. Please add your name, date, general area (whatever detail you're comfortable sharing) before you send the package on its way! This way, we'll see how far it's traveled!

Congrats to Ryan/hanzrobo, who will be the 1st recipient! (pkg went out today) We already know the 2nd will be Jessica/chaparralgirl.

I'm starting it off with my mugshots:

{{gwi:512668}}{{gwi:512669}}

So who would like to be next?

Comments (139)

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Shades on the way to Zech! Here's another with a small wavy jade...not hiding behind the glasses.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    10 years ago

Yes! The shades resurface!

Great pics, Laura! Very nice plants...what do you plan to do with all those babies with a freeze warning in the forecast?!?!

I can't believe it either.

...I am really tired of this spring...sigh

Tom

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I take them in and then bring them back out at 7 am. It's supposed to get down to 38 tonight. I would leave them out (with a couple of exceptions), but it rained like crazy yesterday. Cold and wet not a good combo!

• chadec
    10 years ago

Very nice plants you have there. Glad to see the shades made it I was starting to worry.

Hanzrobo, LMAO! Not sure how I missed your post.

Stush, she actually took very good pics even when she wasnt drooling.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Nice to SEE you, Laura! Good with & without the shades. Great collection you have going there (so neat/tidy, too). Can I have that wire chair behind you? Cute!

Glad to know the travellin' shades are on their way again! I think Linda or Greta is up next after Zeck. Must go find my list! :D

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

Here I am with the shades guys! Gotta have a pic with your tongue out of coarse.

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

Now a good old' regular smiling one. Gotta love those opuntia monocantha variegata Montrose. I'll have the shades moving on to the next person as soon as I have an address!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Looking good, Zeck! That's a better 'stache than I can grow.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Good to see you with the shades, Zeck! Nice succulents you have there! =)

• hijole
    10 years ago

Zeck, I see you finally got the glasses kid I'm glad for you. I didn't realize that was your tongue at first glance I thought it was a crested cactus in your garden Lol... just kidding.

They look nice on you zeck.

Laura, For just starting you have a nice collection already and they multiply quick tpoo so get ready.

Chadec, You guys are looking good also and like part of the garden I might add, very nice.l

Greg

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

MIA Cactus Shades! I've been trying to contact the person next in line (via email) to see if they received the shades or find out what's the hold-up on getting these cactus shades a-travellin' along...again. =)

While I'm at it...are there others who'd like to be next in line?

• Microthrix
    10 years ago

sorry about the wait guys! i put them somewhere safe so i wouldnt forget them, and guess what? i forgot them. they are currently in the mail actively being sent to the address rosiemarie sent me!

• wiley1983
    10 years ago

I would love to have the glasses sent up to me in canada, we have cacti too you know??? lol

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Thanks for checking in, Zeck! =) Glad to hear they are on their way!

Wiley, I'll message you if I'm able (through your profile page). If not, or you don't hear from me, please message me through My Page. We will put you down!

bryannaarmstrong, if you're still around, you need to send me your snail mail addy via My Page as well!

This post was edited by rosemariero on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 20:54

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Have the glasses been received by
    the addressee?

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 15:12

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

The person last sent to did acknowledge receipt. I'm pretty sure I sent reminders as well. Forgot to check again. Will do now! =)

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

L O L

I am new to the forums and just went through all the pics. This cracked me up!!

• rosemariero6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yorkimiki, glad you cracked up about this! Nice to have some levity on the forum! :)

Unfortunately, I'm sad to say (after repeated attempts) I have not heard back from the latest recipient of the cactus shades. :( I hope they have not been taken ill (or worse) or that they might have computer troubles (like I'm having now w/my laptop).

IF I am able to make it to the store where I bought the other 2 pair & IF they still have them available~ I'll get another pair & send off to Wiley. (I may have to contact you again for address if I can't access my address bk on laptop by then).

Sigh ~ best laid plans & all that, you know?!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Still no reply from last person. Not sure I will continue this trek of the cactus shades, unless enough interest is shown...people wanting to participate. Wiley in Canada is the only person I have left on the list right now.

If more comment here, I'll go out & see if I can get another pair to send off. Just LMK.

• caligrown
    10 years ago

I love this idea. Its a shame they continue to go mia. I think it would be fun to keep it going. I would be willing to be a recipient if there is enough interest.

Patrick

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Send them my way I hope more people jump in

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Rosemariero,
    I have a great idea. Why not tell where you can purchase the glasses and let any or all show or reshow their pictures. We can have a cactus club. Like when we go to the nurseries or shows we ware our glasses.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Well, not to put too fine a point on it folks, but to the future participants, if you sign on to this project, we DO expect you to follow up. A lot of us to cared to do this, keeping it fun, interesting & prompt!

If you don't think you can keep track of them long enough to mail & pass them on to the next person, then pls. do not sign up for this. Thanks.

Our friend RoRo has worked quite hard to keep this up & running, so thanks again RoRo, for some good fun & nice laughs!

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Bummer! I just got back from the store where I purchased the others. They don't have them anymore.

I would've been sending them to you, Frank...and you could send to Patrick...BUT...the party supply store isn't carrying them (maybe it's a summer item?). But good idea, Stush...for others to find in their area. I doubt these glasses would be in stock anywhere regularly, though. I believe it started as part of a western-themed party supply. They still have the chili pepper glasses.

Thanks for the support, Karen!

So, we'll have to put the travels of the cactus shades on hold for now.

I'll write a snail-mail letter to the person who had them last & see if maybe their life is in an uproar~ preventing them from sending them along. It would be a shame to lose the travel journal that was with them. Well, we lost the 1st one already.

It WAS fun while it lasted!

I got them at Party City, if any of you have such a store in your area (or try any party supply store-maybe Halloween costume shop?).

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Found them. Now we can do Stush's idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus Club Uniform

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi everyone.....the Party City near me has three pairs, $7.99.....you want them I can get them and send them to you....cost of the glasses plus postage....I would like to know tonight on this, I will be going shopping tomorrow, my day off...I could get them and send them tomorrow....linda

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yay, you found them, Ryan! Steeper price than I paid.

Oh, I see Linda found them too! That price is closer-think I paid $7. I think I'll wait to see if they get them in stock here again. Thanks for the offer, Linda!

10 years ago

I'm going to stop by mine to see if the have any left. Don't know when I'm going. Too crazy now. Maybe next week.

• hijole
    9 years ago

Now that the weather is warming up (for some) how about someone busting out the Cactus Shades, "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" & Lets start this up again.

Greg

• chadec
    9 years ago

I'm with Greg, don't make go rogue up in here.....

• chadec
    9 years ago

I'm with Greg, don't make go rogue up in here.....

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Chad's right - it's a rogue state that has got them.

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

The person to whom the shades were sent last has not been seen on this forum since that time (last July). I think they will not be back. :(

I have too many things on my plate to start another go-round. Anyone else want to...be my guest. :)

• chicagardens
    9 years ago

Rosemariero- what does it entail? Maybe I can do it. Seems like it was a fun run.

• TheHippie
    9 years ago

Chicagardens- all you need to do is buy a pair, take your pic and send to me :) I'll gladly send on to the next person...dunno who's screwin' this up, but it seems pretty simple. I officially want in line for this- if anyone starts it back up....

• hijole
    9 years ago

DO IT, DO IT! :)

Greg

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Just seeing this for the first time! I love it! Great shades and nice seeing everyone! :-)

JoJo

• hijole
    9 years ago

Ok, So apparrently some think posting pics of plants & self is funny, hey it's just a way of placing a face to a handle and then a little fun too but it's not a way to pic up anyone OMG if that was the case there are people ALL... around why pic off a blog, SHEESH!

Greg

9 years ago

Hay Greg,
    Why do you think we had our wives in our pictures. Happy wife happy life, or some thing like that. Besides young people think of all ways to meet each other.
    Rosemariero,
    Thank you again for all you put out there for us. (in both groups) Great idea. I hate pictures of myself but I enjoyed this.
    Stush

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Stush! If I could buy more cactus shades, I would. It was a FUN Round Robin of sorts. We got to "meet" (see) 12 forum members...bringing some out of shyness for a bit...and their wives/family members too! Bonus!

I'm just one who likes to visualize with whom I am speaking. Nice to put a face with a moniker! Especially if it was non-gender & you're not sure if a he or a she. LOL

Thanks to all who participated (or wanted to participate)! I'm sorry the glasses went AWOL! It was great to see all the plants as well!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

I think it is nice seeing a face too. But I myself do not like taking photos.. never have, so you'll all just have to keep guessing about me. LOL!

9 years ago

You know you can use some one else's picture. I was going to put my dog in. She has the most beautiful Blue eyes.

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

Awww... she is beautiful!

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am reviving this three year old post because it's hilarious! That pair of cactus shades travelled all over the GardenWeb community! Love it. Such a nice way for everyone to get to know one another. Do it again, please!

• Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b
    6 years ago

I'm in!!!

Only just saw this. I love games! Lol.

So how do you mannage snail mail addresses, email however you communicate about next address etc.

Is this all on Photo bucket? If yes, I'm out. But honestly no hard feelings. Quick fun visit ;-D.

Meanwhile I might see if I can find a pair here lol

6 years ago

Hi Stush. Yeah I knew it was old, I thought the last 5 / 6 posts were more recent than were. Never mind, I had a good giggle :-D

Thanks

6 years ago

If I come across a pair of glasses, I think I'll restart this thread.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    6 years ago

Love that idea! I was new to Gardenweb at the time but it was so much fun reading this thread and watching you guys send those glasses around. This time, I want in for sure. I think Rosemary and Josh are still around, too.

Maria Elena

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sounding good ;-D

When I get back to Adelaide I'll be looking around party shops instead of food shops lol