Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! What recourse do I take for this?

Posted by Kurtron Alberta (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 16:54

Hey everyone,

I am a newbie green thumb and live in a climate with long harsh winters. So I have been raising some plants inside my room. I bought this succulent cactus from a greenhouse that had super duper brilliant light and was very humid, enough so that it was in artificially in bloom. I moved it into my room in my house, probably about a 70% reduction in light. It lost a lot of 'branches' but I assumed it was due to the shock of transfer. But having it for a few months now, it doesn't seem to be thriving, but it is still surviving. Never the less, it seemed to be enduring just fine, but I checked it and noticed that it had some kind of fungus growing on it! I am at a loss of what to do about it. Help please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! What recourse do I take for this?

Take a look at some carbuncled Echeveria/hybrids of Echeveria gibbiflora. I don't think that's a fungus; it looks like it's an awesome E. gibb. hybrid to me. Young plants won't develop the carbuncles until they're a bit more mature.

That said, it's not going to live indoors, or it'll barely survive and keep worsening. It needs full sun, and shock of transfer has nothing to do with the leaf loss, really. It's not going to come back from this if its conditions don't change for the better. Echeveria aren't indoors plants.

Now, long, harsh winters I understand...in that case you've gotta make do and water very little, and keep them going until you can get them outside again.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 19:47

o

I believe teatree (Colleen) has it figured out. I would look up the word carunculated (although carbuncled is close for a description) Echeveria. If it isn't that, we need a more clear pic of your leaves.

Maybe you can tell us...can this stuff be wiped off your leaf?

Good advice for your succulent from Colleen. =)

o

Well, on second look...maybe there are two circular pink-ish areas on the leaf, one toward the center and the other toward the end of the leaf. I'm not sure (the photo quality)..?

Yeaaah, should have typed "carunculated" instead. :)

o

I'm not pickin' on ya, Colleen...really! I've noticed several people use that term instead of carunculated.

I, too, did not notice those circular spots till you mentioned it. Ha looked at the photo on my phone initially. Now on laptop, it's more obvious. It's possible this plant is infected w/a virus. If so, I'm not sure there's anything you can do to help it, other than cut off infected areas & hope new leaves will grow w/o this ailment (but not positive about that). I would quarantine it from any other plants you have, just in case.

o

Thanks for your insights everyone. The carunculated growths are pretty cool, hey? (I too didn't know what they were called...) ANd yes, in fact I was referring to those circular growth spots... I did try wiping them away, but they were growing out of the plant itself. I decided to cut off the infected branches and hope for the best. I will have to wait until the spring to take it somewhere for a more permanent settlement! As of now I have it in the most sunlight available so we'll see how it fairs...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here