Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advertising in middle of list of Threads???

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 17:06

Is anyone else seeing this pls? It mentions Google Ads & is in the same blue & the same location as the threads as one goes down the page, about a third of the way down. It is currently not showing at the Houseplants Forum, only here, how strange.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advertising in middle of list of Threads???

Revenue at its best.

o

Yup, I noticed it either late last night or first thing this morning. I was thinking "What the heck is that advertising doing right in the middle of the threads". BTW, it was something I had looked up for a phone #. I'm guessing they are cookies and each one of us has different advertising showing up?

o

Annoying

o

Ohhhh...you just answered a question for me. Starting this morning, I was/am seeing a space after the 6th post. I don't see any advertising, because I use Firefox for my browser. I had gone to another forum & saw the same space. I thought GW had a glitch! Now I know!

o

I saw it too and I also use Firefox. Larry

o

Yes it's here, right after 6th post. I use Google Chrome.

o

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the confirmations, can we weigh in further? Gosh I wish I had time & energy to write GW.

That said, if there MUST be advertising, could it be on the top or down the right side where it used to appear, but not in the MIDDLE of everything.

o

I agree with you pirate girl, Now who is gonna run them off the road?

This is a job for _ _ _ _ so you know what to do, Bump umm...

If you want them off by tonight, vote here tonight by writing and voting :
Bump um tonight!!! get off our thread.

"The People's Choice"

Bump um tonight!!! get off our thread.

o

I got 'How to Relieve Joints' as a mid-Pirate-Girl post. The first thing I thought of, and I hope you'll think well of me for it, was 'For tarnation's sake, I already know quite well how to do that - show me what I don't know.'

o
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

And if you go to 'Tools' and 'Options' (on Firefox) you'll be able to activate 'Block Pop-Up Windows'.

Cheers,

The World of Adless Advertisement (pronounced 'Ad vert iz ment')

o
And this is why I'm not in IT

The previous message is grossly not correct - that is all.

o

Well, there are about 8 of us posting here and more reading. If each of us, and all of you out there who are reading this thread and find ads in the wrong place, click on the link to the advertiser, click on their "concact" link and send them 10 messages, yes, 10, that will be 800 messages minimum they'll get telling them how much we dislike their ads in the middle of the forum lists and to move it to the side, top, or bottom. You can copy/paste and send the same message over and over. We have to see their message every time we read a post, so they can see ours. Perhaps they will see how annoying it is to a forum disrupted in this matter and have GW move it.

The downside to this is that GW provides this forum free. They need the ads. If the ad people stop putting their ads here because we bomb them with emails, GW may not survive. So perphaps we should bomb GW so they get the message instead of the advertisers.

Other forum are getting this ad in the middle too. I looked today. So GW lined up this advertising campaign well in advance to spring it on everyone at once. That means, if we organize an opposition to these ads, we need to post to the other Forums too so that they join the chorus of opposition and GW won't think it's just those crazies over at that Cactus/Succulent place doing weird things again, and count on the noise settling down after a couple of days.

I checked some of the other forums and I didn't see any posts voicing how intrusive this form of advertising is yet.

So, to make this annoying advertising techinque go away will probably be more work than it is worth, take more time than anyone is willing to spend, and will likely not result in what we want. GW needs/wants the money.

So I think we should just suck it up.

Penny
(yes, I was a union organizer in a prior life)

o

I don't care about the actual ads so much....

But what you'll notice is that whenever one of these "ad changes" goes into effect,
GardenWeb becomes glitchy and the performance suffers. Sometimes, the new marketing
crashes the site, certain pages, or certain functions, at which point GardenWeb has to
spend time (and presumably money) to fix the interface.

One step forward, two steps back. It's their site, they can do as they please....

Josh

o

Well Josh,

We may have to change your handle to 'Josh the Prophetic'. Just as you suggested, technical things here seem to have gone awry after the new 'mid-thread' ads started.

I notice now that things are fixed (I see they called them the Garden Gnomes), they appear to be GONE -- whoppiieeeeeee!!

o

Thanks, Karen ;-)
I wish I were a prophet...but it just so happens that I've observed this same thing repeated times
now.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here