Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost name tag

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 17:08

I lost the tag to this one. Does anyone know the species. I'm looking at moving it to a larger pot. Any tips or suggestions?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost name tag

Didierea madagascariensis

When repotting very spiny plants I've folded sheets of newspaper into strips which I then wrap around the plant. Hanging onto the ends of that newspaper is a lot more comfortable than trying to hang onto the plant itself.

o

I believe it is Didierea madagascariensis. Sorry, I have no experience, therefore no advice, about potting up.

o

Keep your hands clean of sap some are very dangerous to handle, use milk if it starts to sting any plance on your body eyes or any other openings. Norma

o

I had one a long time ago, I think thats the correct ID.

Denise

o

Many thanks y'all.

o

Pat,

That's a sweet plant. And as I've likely bored you with before, the proper response to Didieria? is 'Did s/he ever.' This plant really likes summer - yours is looking just great. General succulent culture is what this likes.

Norma,

This plant doesn't have a sap problem. The Didieriaceae, (Didieria, Alluaudia and Alluaudiopsis) aren't harmful unless you grasp them powerfully, like when you don't think about not catching one of them as they fall while being repotted (I did it - it hurt). One must be a lemur to hold them without hurting.

o

All good info.
How about pot shape... that is, broad and shallow or deep and narrow? BTW, this winter I kept the temp up a bit more and it didn't really go dormant. I over winter it with cactus in a dry part of my greenhouse. Temps do occasionally get into the upper 30's. Humidity remains fairly high. Normal summer location at my house is next to a typical wood fence. I drive a nail in the fence then tie a string from the nail around the Didieria. Sun most of the day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here