Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Tylecodon Culture

Well, I'm branching out into a new genus. I've never grown these and haven't a clue about them. I've seen some on GW and they interest me. To start I am getting the following: T.buchholziaus, deciphers, dinteri and nolteei(seedling). Are any of the species I've listed, more difficult than an other? Any help would be appreciated... you know what I want... soil mix, watering, etc. Remember I'm in Michigan and we could get several inches of snow!!!! LOL

Comments (21)

• Microthrix
    11 years ago

Don't know about those species, but I just treat mine (cacalioides) like any other succulent and its doing perfectly fine. I just made the soil a bit more rocky just to be safe. He's in full sun and has little red tips. Watered once a week.don't know about cold hardiness though. maybe ssomebody else will chime in on that.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Any on your list you will defiantly want them inside during winter They don't agree with temps below the forties for very long Fifty will keep em safe
    Your more than welcome to join the THE WINTER GROWING SUCCULENT CLUB where most everything is kind of reverse

Soil ( as you already know): Gritty sharp fast draining mix sifted courser sand pumice clays turface Optional I often add a small amount some super sized perlite to keep it the rocky harder substrate mix on a softer side at .50 per pot. For me it seems things get to move easier with perlite soft over pinch forming them with more pumice and other hard substrates

None of these plants are in any hurry to grow they are slow growers. Some exaggeration but it seems a snail running in molasses might win the uphill race.
    You can chase the sun as long as it's not cloudy but for you even better. Your additional lighting for them orchids in your house is to humid /wet of an area but the lighting may just work for you during winter if abut the same or warmer but a lot dryer air provided

IMO Summer dormant times is the hardest part things will look dead most cant not water when we shouldn't water and yes even then they might need a teaspoon or a drop or two
    When they break out of dormancy SLOWLY re intro them to a regular winter watering in lack of better words RESPECT they're dormancy as you would any of your Dorslenia If not they're done

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So Wes, to be sure about some things you've said. These are WINTER growers, i.e., northern hemisphere winter growers because they hail from South Africa or there about where our winter is their summer.....Yes? Having said this, one would restrict watering during our northern summer season when they drop leaves and go dormant. Even with my orchids, I have a hard time with maintaining any kind of reasonable humidity and when I do, it is always at the wrong time of the year!

As for sun? Filtered light? Lots of sun?

Thanks, Howard

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

No, Howard, I wouldn't suggest you involve the our-winter-is-their-summer thinking here. They're a simple genus, but they do grow in our winter (they grow in their winter, too) - that's when they grow (actually fall to spring). Now, if you were in San Diego, these are perfect plants for PIGing (because that's when the rains come, in winter). Since you don't, you have to give them heat and light at a time when that's in short supply from nature. Grow them as you would your succulents in growth (i.e. not dormant) and away you go. As much sun as you can give them is ideal. They can sit on a plant bench in the summer and be given just a sip monthly, looking spare and bare (because they're dormant and are denuded of leaves).

All that other winter/summer stuff is but mash and complicates things that needn't complication.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jeff. It isn't that I obsess about the summer/winter ting but there are those who get easily confused... and I am becoming one of them!!!! So during our northern hemisphere summer these guys drop leaves and go dormant to awaken in the fall and begin growing once again as long as I don't screw up somehow. Should they be in the sun during their summer dormancy? How dense am I being! Would remedial classes help me any???? Probably a lost cause.

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Yes in complete agreement with Jeff regarding fall to spring growing info
    Summer time could depend on the specific one of them on your list Generally keep them all undercover from rains with brighter sun to some dabbling shade
    Remedial classes for summer watering and heat is about all you may need.
    I don't think you'll do as "off" growing them as you think. If wrong then look at the bright side there is always a freedom of clicking to be had

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Yeah, agreed, I put mine in shade over summer and the rare dip. They are starting to grow again now - autumn. I rarely do totally dry, rather infrequent watering as Jeff said over summer.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

I'm glad you brought this up, Howard. I'm germinating a tray of various Tylecodon seeds as we speak. It only took 3 days for them to pop up. I'd like to keep them alive.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ryan, you'll have to post some pics and keep us informed as to your progress... Was this just an assortment of Tylecodon seeds or specific species?

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

Open sow and Bottom watering for these Ryan, your best chance. Good luck! Would also like to see progress!

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Hey guys! I popped in at 6am right before I left the house. Sorry to leave you hangin' all day, Doc. To be honest, I collected the seeds at a friend's nursery months ago. It was the last thing I thought of right as the sun was going down so I just grabbed seed pods from 4 or 5 different species and put them in one packet. Oh, the folly of my ways! I guess we'll find out as they grow. There might be some Adromischus in there too :/

I pretty much forgot about them until I saw the packet the other day and, worried they might be going bad, I sowed them.

Thanks for the advice, Rian. I moved them to the outdoor shade yesterday. I'll try increasing the light soon and a light feeding. Pix tomorrow!... How excited can you get about tiny green dots? Actually? pretty excited:)

10 years ago

Poisonous tiny green dots, well, I get unquestionably excited about. We're talking mambas of the plant world - farmers in the RSA pull them out of their land because they kill the cows that eat them.

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 0:04

• Beachplants
    10 years ago

...and sheep! I used to look after a farm (sheep stud) and certain camps where a no-no this time of the year! They bloat up and die.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Yikes! You mean I can't put these in my salad?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Updating this post. I received these today. I have potted them in a pretty gritty mix, I think???? I did not water them even though two of them still have leaves. I want to try to care for them because they were very costly for their size, IMHO. So do I let them stay relatively dry since we are going into spring/summer or what?????

10 years ago

I'd give them a drink into later this month, Howard, but that middle one gets only the slightest sip. Is that Buckholtz's (sp?)?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jeff. Yes, the one in the middle is T.buchholziaus. The one on the right is T. dinteri and the other is T. deciphers.

• Neats UK
    8 years ago

When planting tylecodon seeds should the soil be watered? I have planted some seeds but i think the soil might be too wet. I live in the uk so i have kept the seeds in a warm place to germinate. Hopefully the soil will dry out a little. I will provide an update when they sprout.

• Neats UK
    8 years ago

Harry did you start your plant from seed? If so, how did you prepare the soil for germination?