Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Echeveria game!

I know the ID of this plant and I've given you a lead that it is an Echeveria. Now, can you guess the species and it is a species not a hybrid?

Comments (20)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First I thought E. topsy turvy....but stems are pink, much pinkier than my topsy turvy.
    E. secunda? just guessing...Rina

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, Rina. None of those are correct.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

My guess is Echeveria chihuahuaensis. :P

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I am out of my league here. What beautiful flowers.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

My guess would be" Pretty"
    Kathi

• hijole
    10 years ago

Excuse me, but .. I just collect them. But I will take a shot at this today, Lets go with Echeveria Afterglow 0r Echeveria Secunda
    Thats my Final answer.

Greg

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Greg neither of those.

• hijole
    10 years ago

is this the same thing? If so I have some around my garden.

Greg

• hijole
    10 years ago

Heres a shot of the plant, was just wondering if it was the one.

Greg

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No sorry Greg. Nice plant, however.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Hee hee, on your "final answer", Greg!
    I believe your plant is Echeveria elegans. Pretty!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So is it time for the FINAL ANSWER ??????? Has everyone posted???????

And the winner is..... Rosemarie

You might want to see my post regarding this plant from the last post:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0313392215694.html

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 17:07

• hijole
    10 years ago

Congratulations Rosemarie! :) Can I ask you how long youve been collecting AND learning their names or do you just have a great memory, and plz dont tell me that you dont remember.

Greg

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Howard

Great plant - as all of yours are, ditto for photos.

Rosemarie always comes thru with her ID's.

Rina

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Very nice plant, Howard...pretty blooms too! I waffle between several similar looking Echeveria. Thanks for the game! Exercises my brain.

Thanks, everyone! You are too kind. :)

Greg, you opened a can of worms. I'll try not to hijack Howard's post. Let's see if I can tell this story succinctly. Hee hee! (Nah, it didn't work, sorry.)
    (Ha! I WAS going to say I forget!)This is probably more than you want to know! Answer to your question, "how long you've been collecting AND learning their names or do you just have a great memory":

1996: frequented 2 garden forums online -the ONLY ones back then (I think one called, simply garden.com & the beginning gardenweb.com, when it had only a handful of forums~Name That Plant being one). I soaked up information, learning much. I printed out info on plants I had or wanted. Made my own binder -plant encyclopedia I still have it). I became an Obsessed Plantaholic. :P

1996, got into plants when we moved back to this home (before that, I thought I had a black thumb). Watched TV garden shows on at 5AM, taking notes to learn all I could (Victory Garden, Way to Grow +). Started planting, losing many plants ~learning about different requirements. Eventually had (approx) 900 different type plants. Bought books & built up library.

1998, introduced to succulents, given a mini van (rug rat mobile) full from another Little League mom. Had NO IDEA what they were, but was determined to find out, so I wouldn't kill them. Researched to find their names. On garden forums all day, learning, trying to ID plants, writing down info. Obsessed with this, attention to detail (used to work in quality control at rubber plant, police for defects) to remember how to distinguish one plant from another.

2000, soaked & pulled area of grass in back yard (see pix below) to make island bed for cacti & succulents. Young son cried when I said I was taking out Lemon bush, so it remained & was thus named Xeriscape Lemon Island. =)

{{gwi:513289}}
    {{gwi:513290}}
    {{gwi:513291}}
    {{gwi:513292}}

2006, or thereabouts, when leaving this forum for new, thegardenforums.org, switched focus to succulents. Enjoyed helping people identify their plants, while learning about them. If I didn't know, I researched! In the beginning online days, there weren't many photos of plants or ways to identify them. Much different now...and mis-identification is rampant. Still need to rely on books for help. Nowadays, my memory isn't as sharp, which is really perturbing to me. Use it or lose it, I say! So here I am...for now! :) Now, I have lost track of how many succulents I own. Enough of this saga!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not to worry, RoRo. You are most respectful and thoughtful and could NEVER hijack my thread or anyone else's.

And, thanks for the compliment. Coming from you, it means a lot.

• hijole
    10 years ago

Rosemarie, Thank you again, Your hard work has paid off with all the knowledge you have gained on cacti & succulents not to mention your name being mentioned on Debra Lee Baldwin's book on "Succulent container Gardens" for helping with all the naming of plant's, It's nice to have you as a friend here on the Garden web Forum with all your help , I've been inspired. :) Thxz.

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Not to steal Howards' thunder but I also am very pleased to have known you on this and another web RoRo. I am always impressed with your knowage.
    Stush

• rosemariero6
    10 years ago

I humbly thank you! (Blushing)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

I appreciate you also RoRo,without you I'd still be calling everything with spines cacti/cactus.Still havn't learned the proper use of those names,one versus the other.Unlike you I just don't have the wherewithall to go to the lengths of finding out names as you do.Guess I was just too old when I got into them,and the old memory is not as sharp as it used to be.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    kathi