Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

Early season for Crown of Thorns Plants (COT)

Marie Tran
10 years ago

Here we are only mid March, and the weather is crazy as ever. From cold to hot, and from hot to cold. Some of my smaller COT are blooming. I want to share them with you. Few pictures were taken in Jan.

Many big pots are forming buds. I will post them sometimes in April.

{{gwi:513439}}

{{gwi:513440}}

{{gwi:513441}}

{{gwi:513449}}

{{gwi:513453}}

{{gwi:513456}}

{{gwi:513459}}

{{gwi:513462}}

{{gwi:513465}}

{{gwi:513468}}

{{gwi:513471}}

{{gwi:513473}}

{{gwi:513475}}

{{gwi:513477}}

{{gwi:513478}}

{{gwi:513479}}

{{gwi:513480}}

{{gwi:513481}}

{{gwi:513482}}

{{gwi:513483}}

{{gwi:513486}}

{{gwi:513487}}

{{gwi:513488}}

{{gwi:513489}}

{{gwi:513490}}

{{gwi:513491}}

{{gwi:513492}}

{{gwi:513493}}

Comments (17)

• mfyss
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fantastic!!Yale

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Very nice!! Love all the colors, especially that lime green looking one.

Mark

• CAST1
    10 years ago

Wow!
    All I have ever seen are the reds, pinks, and the whites.
    A beautiful collection!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Marie

Your COT's are always so good looking.
    Great colors, thank you for cheering us up - still cold here!!!

Rina

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you every body for nice commends.

I love COT plants, easy to take care and the blooms last from 1-2 months.

Marie

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Great parade of color.

I'm curious, in your zone 9, what temp is "cold" in March?

tj

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello TJ, this winter drags on longer than most winter.
    This week is nice, but 2 weeks ago, we had few days very cold and many people included myself had lost plants because last cold front. (I took them out too early)

Marie

• TheGumbieCat
    10 years ago

those are lovely and weird flowers.

Also shout out to Houston, I went to UH

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Hi Marie,

I always drool over your pictures! I have a little collection but nothing like yours. I believe your green thumb has little thorns all over it!

I would like your advice. I have been able to easily root COT (Euphorbia milii) and have them in pots all over my yard. They add such reliable color. They are never not in bloom. How can you not love that? All of the plants in the photos below came from single red and pink plants. The problem is that some of them are getting a little leggy and top heavy. Would you prune these? If so, where along the stem would you make the cut?

I have noticed, from a few COT that got frozen back, that no matter where the freeze damage stops along the stem, new growth is almost always (but not 100%) from the roots. Most of the time (but not 100%), there is no new growth along the healthy branches. New growth comes up straight up from the soil line even though there are healthy branches. So that makes me wonder if should I cut these back off near the soil? It doesn't seem like there is any advantage to leaving 3-4" of stem because it will be left just waving there in the air with no leaves or flowers. I'm afraid it will be an eyesore sticking up in the middle of the plant. What do you think? Anyone have any good info about cutting back COT?

The Martha Stewart video linked below is just completely worthless. She hacks this poor lady's COT up to pieces, doesn't address the lady's questions and really doesn't have a clue. I swear Martha is just shooting from the hip as she goes along and she as much as says so:

================
    Martha: I'm going to trim off this dead wood...Oh look... it just breaks right off.

Martha: Don't you think it is a little tall?

Sweet lady: Definitely.

Martha: ...so maybe we can cut it down a little bit... there's nothing happening down here... so if we just sort-of cut it off here...

Sweet lady: Will it sprout down at the bottom?

Martha: I don't know if it will or not but we'll see. (You don't know? We'll see?! )

And then Martha runs off with all of the cuttings.

Of course, we never do see. There is no post-op follow-up.
    ================

So Marie and all of you experts, what would you do?

Thanks,
    Carol in Jacksonville

{{gwi:513494}}

{{gwi:513495}}

{{gwi:513497}}

{{gwi:513498}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart - Pruning and Propagating Crown of Thorns Plants

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Marie...

I am so pleased to see your beautiful trees!!

You must be so glad that this winter has passed... It was an awful winter!!

You have the touch!!

So happy to see your babies...

Take care,

Laura

9 years ago

The ones in the back yard came from cuttings too... they are also getting quite leggy:

{{gwi:513499}}

Carol

• amsten09
    9 years ago

Just curious, is it normal for a COT to bloom year round? I got it as a cutting a little over a year ago with just a couple small roots. It hasn't stopped blooming ever. Also if anyone does any trimming I would like to add a couple more cot to my collection.

• Danielle Rose
    9 years ago

Such gorgeous plants! I love when you post your pictures. My favorites are the first one, cream and red, and the one that is bright coral orange with pink speckles ... delicious!

I only have one COT, and indoors it does bloom year-round. I repotted it last month and it promptly dropped half its leaves two days later. Now it has decided it likes the new digs, and I got a huge cluster of flowers! It doesn't compare to the display above, but I'll take it.

9 years ago

Hi Amsten, yes, that is normal. My COT bloom year-round... except when a few got frost-bite... but even then, when they came back, the flowers came first... and then the leaves. They are such reliable little bloomers. You gotta love them.

Carol

• amsten09
    9 years ago

I know I love mine. It is by far the favorite in my collection! Can't wait for it to get larger. Right now its only about 6in high and just started putting off its first branch!!!!

• jojosplants
    9 years ago

They are all so beautiful! I didn't realize they came in so many colors!

9 years ago

I decided to set up an experiment. See link to the thread over in the Florida Gardening forum, below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: How to prune or cut back Crown of Thorns