Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Out of the pot & into the ground:

hijole
10 years ago

This is the best time of the year for cacti & succulent lovers a
little project I started today planting my new cuttings, I couldnt wait another day because Spring is here & day light savings is here too.

Greg

Comments (17)

• sjbaby
    10 years ago

very nice, i wish i could grow stuff like that here.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sjbaby, Thank you I could'nt imagine living in a place that was'nt compatible with Cacti & Succulents, Where are you living I dont see a zone on here for you?

However I have seen Cactus plants made out of cement and painted to look some what real but it aint the same I know, Have a wonderful weekend.

Greg

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Hi Greg,

I love your plants! If I lived out in Ca., I would be growing succulents everywhere just like you! Our spring is not quite here yet, but soon.

Barb

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks barb, here in Calif. we can grow almost everything we want were kind of spoiled like that but cacti & succulents are so easy to grow all you have to do is almost drop them on the floor and they take off like wild fire, REALLY!
    What area are you from Barb?

Greg

• barbmock
    10 years ago

We're in north Georgia, actually a really nice climate, but we do have 4 seasons, so tender plants come indoors in the winter. We can buy pretty batches of succulents for summer dish gardens and planters. I have always liked them.

You just seem to have a good way of mixing all the color and textures. I always enjoy your pictures, no matter if they are in a carton or tin can!

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

hjole what part of southern california are u in?

I'm near LA coastal. do you usually still callous your plants or just snap the cutting and pop in ground?

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yorkiemiki, S orry so late in my response, Im in Southern California Im about 30 miles from the beach in a city called Corona, not Del Mar just Corona.
    Actually with the kind of weather weve been having I just Snap & Pop um in da ground, No water for about a week unless I get to excited but I try to refrain from any, and depending on the plant I might wait a day or 2 $$$ is a factor if its a costly one he will have to wait a day or 2.

I love the beach though & wished I lived there.

Greg

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Hi, I'm in Riverside. If you ever want to trade or share, let me know. I have about 150 plants or so.

Lorrie

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lorrie, I'd love to trade some with you, where abouts in Riverside are you? as I mentioned, Im in corona and I have quite a variety of cacti & succulents. do you have & album that could be seen? I threw up another picture because I figured, HEY! I'm already here, Why not.

Trading is a good idea, I like it so lets see how we can arrange this Ive traded before with other members on here but we shipped them back & forth, of course it was like to Pennselvania, Alabama & Washington, far away places but we sound like neighbors almost.

just let me know were your at & will figure it out.

Greg

• lcadena
    10 years ago

I don't have an album as I don't quite know how to do it yet. Any suggestions will be well taken. Here's one side of my walkway. The pots across are for my little guy you can see to the left of the plants. I bring him outside every afternoon to get some natural sun. He is surprisingly fast and lives to escape. He'll be indoors for a few more years until he is a lot bigger. I can then put him outside with a new little (big) house. Thanks.

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Here's the other side.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Icadena, I love your passion & I can tell your a fanatic about these plants also, I'm actually trying to figure out where you live by the little bit of the street that I could see, I'm thinking down town towards the Brockton Arcade area or Wood St over by RCC vicenity, or around Fairmont Park OK.. I give up Lol... OH WAIT by MT. Rubidoux?

I know there are alot of houses down there with Cactus & Succulents too. I'm in the HISTORIC part of Corona and I sit above the Grand Blvd.

Anyway my schedule is a little funny but I do have week days off so some how we can do this for sure.

Greg

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Greg; you are uncanny. I live on the corner of Beechwood and Brockton, about 1/2 mile down from RCC. I teach during the week but could come over one day after school during one of your days off. I'm sure you have a lot more plants than I, but I'm willing to share what I have. I've had to stop buying due to lack of space but hope to buy a house one of these days way in the future, I'm afraid. Let me know what a good weekday for you is. The only days I can't are Mondays and every other Friday.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lorrie, Lol.. sometimes I surprise myself too, actually I've lived in Corona all my life so you kinda get a feel of all the areas around you and the streets & how they look, I've always liked that area of town and the Spanish style houses there.
    . So what do you teach at RCC by the way?

How will I know what types of Cacti & succulents you have unless you post them on here? Ok so let's see how we can arrange this with my days off. Monday's & Fridays arent good for me anyways so thats good, the days that work are Tuesdays & Weds. & sometimes Thurs. Noon time is good for me what time are you off from school and what hr is good for you?

Greg

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Greg:

I can't come over until about 3. I don't teach at RCC. I work for the county with 6 school districts and many schools. I work with students who are deaf or hard of hearing who are in these districts schools. I'm usually coming home from Banning/Beaumont or the Perris/Menifee area. However, I'm on Spring Break the week of 4/14 and can come over just about any time that week. Can I have your email address or phone? Talk to you soon.

Ps. Here's a picture of my newest project. Did you hear that Harvey is selling the Mexican Hat Nursery? I think he is having trouble getting around since he broke his hip.

• lcadena
    10 years ago

Greg:

I can't come over until about 3. I don't teach at RCC. I work for the county with 6 school districts and many schools. I work with students who are deaf or hard of hearing who are in these districts schools. I'm usually coming home from Banning/Beaumont or the Perris/Menifee area. However, I'm on Spring Break the week of 4/14 and can come over just about any time that week. Can I have your email address or phone? Talk to you soon.

Ps. Here's a picture of my newest project. Did you hear that Harvey is selling the Mexican Hat Nursery? I think he is having trouble getting around since he broke his hip.

{{!gwi}}

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lorrie, Wow! So sorry to hear about Harvey, have you ever been to his nursery? Ive been there a couple of times and really enjoyed it, he has so many stories to tell & so much info. to share with whoever asks.

Ok, so Spring break it is, you can get my email which is attached to my page NEXT TO MY HANDLE aguilerag2@aol.com just email me and I'll send you my ph.# and we can hook up, i'll be waiting on your email because neither your ph.# 0r email address is attached here.

The week of 4/14 sounds good to me and around 12:00 will work, I'll get back to you on what day exactly shortly, I just need to figure out what day Im off too. Oh, and I like your new project you started, theyre cute little guys :)

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 19:27