Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Call me baffled...

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 17:30

I picked this up at a big box store incorrectly labeled as Aloe humilis. It charmed me, and, despite the aggravation of not knowing its true identity, I bought it, because I knew SOMEBODY here would be able to offer a name.
What can I say? The only thing I'm certain of is that it is a succulent. It grows in a rosette and is starfish-shaped...or, after a couple of cold ones, it starts to look like an octopus. The leaves are very flat and pliable, kind of like a piece of Juicy Fruit gum, if you will. The top of the leaves are striated and small white harmless spines are present. The spines on the underside form a "wave" pattern. The plant is in a 4" pot.
So, what do you guys think? Is this an aloe? Dyckia? Puya? Orthophytum? Or some other type of bromeliad? Looking forward to your comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who Can It Be Now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Call me baffled...

I was thinking Dyckia, but I could be wrong...

Christopher

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 19:51

Looks like an Aloe to me, but certainly not humilis. Maybe arborescens, maybe cameronii, or a hybrid of some sort. The white dots, maybe a bit of Gasteria in the mix?

This post was edited by hoovb on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 19:57

o

Nothing spiked is harmless on dyckias that I know of
Aloe cameronii × maculata ?

o

Hmmm. Looks like a Cryptanthus, especially when you write that the leaves are very flat but rippled. Maybe something with C. acaulis as a parent.

o

I was thinking Cryptanthus as well, just the particular manner of this rosette & those spiky leaves; looks so starfish-like to me!

Handsome find you've got there, whatever it is.

o

I'v seen this plant at Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. I think it is a Aloe but which one I can't guess. It looks nothing like my Aloe humilis.It's been grown in heavy shade and is very soft leaved. I'll have to grow one out in good light and see what happens.I do like a good mystery.

Bob

o

Everyone!
Thanks for your comments.

Bob! Do you own this? It is so intriguing--at present, it looks like an intergeneric cross of Cryptanthus and Aloe. Mysterious indeed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here