Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haworthia seedling

Posted by bikerdoc5968 6 SE MI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 17:55

So how large must these be to transplant, "safely"? These are from own cross and I failed take good notes, so I don't recall the parents. I know it is too early to know what they might look like months from now, but they seem to have a distichous nature so one parent may have been H. truncata.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haworthia seedling

They all seem to start out rather distichous, but if they're going to grow into rosettes you'll probably see it soon with the bigger seedlings. Love the patterns on the leaves! As long as they're growing fine, you can probably leave them as is until they start elbowing each other for more space. But if you need to transplant, you can probably already do so at this point as long as you can easily handle them (tiny ones can be hard to replant). I've even accidentally broken the roots off and they'll re-root. Might set the seedling back a bit but it usually recovers.

o

Howard, you've kept this quiet! I didn't realize you had these beauties growing, very nice! Ken's advice is spot-on. I'm inclined to wait until the plants are begging for more space, but that's because I'm overloaded with transplanting. I've definitely learned that transplanting at the right time gives seedlings a boost and enables them to grow faster and bigger than they would if left cramped in shallow containers. Many of my plants are like teenagers that need their own rooms, unable to progress until they get more space.

o

Thanks to both of you. Yes, for now they will remain as is. Soon I will have more seed to sow...this is getting exciting!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here