Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boston3381

home depot is at it again..

boston3381
10 years ago

was at home depot today getting wood for the greenhouse and found this...new to me? maybe not you guys here but I figured I would post a pic.. didn't like the fact the rocks were glued to the soil and they were $ 14.98 each...coral cactus "cristata" euphorbia lacteal ??? I will say they did look nice For now but like all home depots they will find away to kill them...

Comments (25)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

I don't see the point either. (glue rocks)

Marie

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

The crests are naturally those colors (just in case you didn't know). They also have these at Lowes. I saw some on clearance for $5 there the other day.

If Stush sees this post, I'm sure he'll share some pictures of his. As much as I don't like these particular Euphorbias, his are beautiful.

But, the glued rocks idea is overrated, for sure.

I saw some cacti at HD the other day, all painted various colors of the rainbow. Boy.

And... Some succulents at Wal-Mart that were painted gold.

Planto

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Planto,
    That's what I though this post was going to be about. Painted plants. They are doing it again. The few people who fell for this is going to be mad at them but they don't care, they have thier money already.
    The crest plants look great but I like it grafted on it's own plant base, E. lactea. I have had luck only with that grafted stock. Those are on E. neriifolia. I am looking for one white crest with yellow highlights.
    Mine are getting old and needs replanted. I am looking for some nice pots to put them in.
    Stush

• boston3381
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just find it funny that they sell this stuff up here...im not a big cactus guy but I do like succulents that are perennials for my zone mostly "hens and chick's" ..im sure people buy this stuff and 90% of is killed buy the owner or Walmart and other big box stores..

to know some one is growing this only to have it end up in a box-store is just really disapointing ...sry all just venting ...

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Boston,
    No need to apologize.

Planto

• boston3381
    Original Author
    10 years ago

with out getting to deep, they are graffed on to E. neriifolia

euphorbia lacteal is what the plant should be and not graffed on too E. neriifolia ?

I know a little about grafting with tomatoes..so I think I know what your saying?

P.S. I am a novice with succulents and cacti. when I have time witch is in the past 2 years I have been growing succulents outside kind of doing a test and trial of what works around here in the winter...

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

boston,
    I believe what Stush was saying is that he prefers to have the "crest" which is a "crested" version of Euphorbia lactea grafted to a non-crested form of Euphorbia lactea (itself essentially).

The ones you pictured appear to be grafted to Euphorbia neriifolia (a different kind of Euphorbia.

The actual "plant" on top is an abnormal growth form of Euphorbia lactea (I don't know what causes it to grow abnormally). I believe sometimes it's referred to as "Cristate." Some plants have "Cristate" in their "name" I think, which is to signify it's a crested form of that particular plant.

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Hi, Boston! These "coral cacti" may be rare in your area, but they are always available here in SW Florida. And I think you are right - they die after going home because people think they look nice and tidy in those pots with the glued rocks. When the snowbirds are down, the price runs $14.95. Other times they are 5 bucks.

I rarely see the Sempervivums, hens and chicks. I know why. I was excited to find some, but they didn't make it through the summer. Bummer - because I really like those.

I yelled at the guy watering the succulents at HD yesterday. I told him when the plants are turning black and the soil is soupy, they don't need water! He actually told me he had to keep them wet or they would die in the sun. Nope - don't buy my succulents there!

• danbonsai
    10 years ago

Hi folks,
    Sorry to hijack this post...
    I have several E. lactea ''cristata''s with green & white variegation grown from rooted cuttings-6''-8'', taken from mother plant which is 4'+, & easily 400lbs + . I also have two of the Home Depot grafted plants -scions pink/ purple colouration and rootstock typical for such grafts. My question is: Will a 6'' tall rootstock support the weight of the scion decades down the road? Anyone with experience?
    Thanks ,Dan

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Dan,
    Uh... I cannot answer your question, but I'd like to ask you, could you show us a picture of this 6' Euphorbia? I think my jaw dropped when I read your post.

Planto

• danbonsai
    10 years ago

Hi Planto,

The root stock is 6'', not 6'- that's inches, not feet. Thanks for quick quick response. Sorry about your glasses. Ha!

Cheers!

Dan

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Dan,
    I got my numbers mixed up, haha. I saw 6" and 4', but meant to ask you if you have a picture of the 4' "Mother."

My eyesight is fine, but my brain... Not all there sometimes. ;)

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Do you mean will the crest eventually pull away from, or crush the root stock from the weight? I have wondered the same thing. The good news is we can root the crest without the root stock if that happens.

If you mean will the plant tip over, well, I've already had that happen. My ghost crest is growing evenly on both sides. This green variegated crest seems to be more prolific on one side. I've had to prop it with rocks. You are seeing about 1/2 of the size of the rock buried on the right. I've had it about 2 years.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

The picture Stush posted is way bigger than mine and looks to be holding up well. But as mentioned, that's a different root stock.

• danbonsai
    10 years ago

Planto,

no explanation necessary- my eyes and brain have been there many times.

. Sorry, I don't have a pic of the mother plant. It used to be a spectacular specimen, for us shivering, snow shovelling fools anyway. But its previous splendour is slowly disappearing due to the greenhouse owners need to slice off pieces and put a price tag on them.

Crenda,
    my concern is, if and when, the top ever reaches an appreciable size, will the 6'' tall, and structurally different appearance of the rootstock, support the top as it increases in size/weight?

Cheers!
    Dan

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Dan,
    Shucks! *snaps fingers* That must be a sight at least. :)

Planto

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Will these plants survive on their own roots without the grafting stock? They seem to have chlorophyll, right?

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Laura,
    Looks like it. I found a website that has a few pictures of some in pots by themselves (not grafted).

EDIT: okay, maybe I should read this website and not just look at the pictures. It says "The green form of Euphorbia lactea "Cristata" is propagated by cuttings or graft, while the variegated forms are difficult to grow on their own roots, and are generally grafted for convenience."

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus art website

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 11:26

10 years ago

Planto,
    Thank you for clearing up what I wanted or meant to say. I saw a E. lactea cristata when I was visiting friends at Tampa, FL. It was well over 8 ft. tall. Never been trimmed of any reversions on the crest. It was on it's own root system. And I have rerooted cuttings from my white ones all the time. Gave BikerDoc one. They grow just find on their own. I also have a white Ghost from a cutting from the same plant.
    And yes they will break off from their graft stock at some time down the road. These guys get large and big in time. Mine are very heavy and must be handled extremely carefully. One tip and it can come off its base. At some time (years from now) I can show a crest 3 ft. sq.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Stush,
    Sorry, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth or create words where there were none. I am too type happy sometimes.

Planto

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Stush - thanks for the clarification on the plant eventually getting too heavy for the root stock. I'm years from that point, but will always keep an eye out for changes.

It looks like my Ghost crest is growing a reversion. Time will tell, but it will be fun to have a plant like the one you have posted!

Dang - my son lives in Tampa. Gonna have to send him on a "plant hunt" so I can see some dandies in the area! That may be a failed quest. Bought the kid some silk plants and he told me he would probably kill them. Arghhh! LOL

10 years ago

Planto,
    I ment that is the nicest way. That was nice of you to do so.
    Crenda,
    I wish I had a picture of that monster plant. I can not tell why I didn't have my camera with me. It was in the Botanical gardens at a place called 'Sunken Gardens'. It was in with cactus of all kind and this guy was head and shoulders above all. The reversions grew several feet tall then surprised to me, they started to recrest. Didn't know they could do this? I don't think I am ever going to go there again. My friend passed away. He gave us the best vacation we have ever had. I see now why us northerns go south for retirement.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Stush,
    Oh okay, thanks. :) It is hard to "read" someone's typing sometimes. I thought maybe I had upset you (glad to know I didn't).

Sorry to hear about your friend. It would be difficult to return to a place knowing the last time you were there, you were with your friend.

Planto

10 years ago

Thanks Planto,
    His wife has yet to go back. They were so close and every morning they can they walked along the beach. It was a very close nit community. Every one was so friendly. Most were Canadians. I will miss the place.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Sure thing. I cannot imagine the loss of a friend, let alone a spouse. *hugs*

Planto

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert