Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Succulent 2

greendale
11 years ago

Echeveria ? It was very tall and grows a lot of air roots, so I cut the top with some air roots and put it into the soil, you can see the left 'trunk' at the right bottom, will I get too plant from this. Will the left 'trunk' grow another 'top' as there is no leaves left.

Comments (32)

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had these succulents a couple months and it bothers me that I do not know what they are. Well I do not need to know the exact name(that include some " or ' - pf course if possible it will be helpful). Even just tell me if it is Aeonium or Echeveira or Haworthia I will be happy to record it in my spreadsheet.

And I have quite a few NOID, so please be patient with me.

This I think is Aeonium arboreum atropurpureum 'Zwartkop'
    ?

Thanks a lot

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Somehow I submit second message before the first one?
    Anyway this the 3rd one
    I do not know what it is.

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close shot of the 3rd one

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Echeveria?

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kalanchoe?

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

what is it?

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

NO idea of this one either

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is it?
    Close shot will follow

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close shot of succulent 8. And what is the one on the top left side on above post's picture- some sedum?

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And what is succulent number 9?

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close shot will follow

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close shot of succulent 10. Sorry about the flush light

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And this?

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close shot of the leaves.

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this the variegated version of succulent 11? the leaf shape and the stem are all alike, the stem is smaller and the leaves are variegated.

Thanks a lot and sorry for this picture heavy post.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

I'll have a go at it!

Might be better in the future to limit your ID requests to 3 or so plants per post. My eyes glaze over...even though I love to ID plants!

1. (that was 2nd) It is an Aeonium, but I don't believe either of the 2 names you have combined in one. Looks like a Catlin hybrid, but would need to see it at other times of the year, in diffferent growth habit. A. 'Zwartkop' is in the mix. =)

2. (that was 1st) yes, an Echeveria sp., but hard to say which. Flowers might help to ID it.

3. looks like Sedum clavatum from here.

4. Echeveria runyonii

5. Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi 'Marginata'

6. an Echeveria sp.

7. Echeveria pulidonis

8. looks like a Dudleya sp.

9. an Echeveria sp.

1. looks like xGraptoveria 'Royal Flush'

2. hard to say, but looks most like Crassula perforata

3. might be Crassula marginalis, but can't see the leaf edges clearly. (if the leaves were perforated by the stem, I might've thought it was the variegated form of #11)

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. Yes, I totally agree with you about "too many ID request in one post". After post it I find myself have to scroll up and down to get an idea what is what, and GW does not allow me to delete the post. ;(. Again, thank you very much for the IDs even though it is tough to scroll up and down and try to remember the numbers. I know sometime I am quite stupid for such a simple thing (make the post hard to read).:(

Now, I am going to record the names and do a google search for pictures for some comparison.

for the echeveria, do you think the stem that we cut the top from will grow another top out?

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

No, I do not believe that stem will grow any more out the top. :(

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

9 might be a dudleya, Like D. lanceolata. I am insecure about the species since I don't grow ythem , I have only seen lots of pictures of them and this one looks like a Dudleya. There are so many and they are as varied as echeverias.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Another suggestion when loading a number of pictures is to use Photobucket or Flickr. As Rosemarie so aptly showed me, if you delete the "center" ques at the beginning and end all of your pictures will look great!

{{gwi:515502}}

{{gwi:515504}}

{{gwi:515506}}

{{gwi:515508}}

{{gwi:515510}}

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rosemariero:

Really? I should ask before I cut it. Hope the top will "root" for me. I saw some pictures on the internet that some have multiple branch - how did they do that? Is it because Echeveria does not grow like that or did I do it wrong( like I should leave some leaves on the stem?)

After some research I am not too sure about 11 and 12, I think the picture and no object to compare the leaf is a problem.

wantonamara:
    I have to admit that this is the first time (oh, no 2nd time, 1st is in rosemariero's post for succulent number 8) I heard about dudleya. ;P

bikerdoc5968:
    So tell me from what planet you got those alien plants? Is the E. for Echeveria? They are so different from the regular Echeveria - actually they are so different from the regular plants I have seen- so alien looking.

I used photobucket before, but since GW has this picture upload function, I stop using photobucket - too many steps involved. But it really nice to align all the pictures in one post.

Thanks

This post was edited by greendale on Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 10:18

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, E. must for Euphorbia.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

oops, I meant Dudleya for #8. Sorry. I am browsing to fast. I use Flicker as as my photo site.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

The first picture, of an echeveria, the one you lopped, looks like Perle von Nuremberg, and if so, the base may well sprout again.
    The next pic., you are right about Aeonium 'Zwartkop'.
    Succulent 4 looks like Echeveria lilacina.
    Succulent 5 could be Crassula sarmentosa variegata.
    Succulents 6 and 8 are Aeoniums imo.
    Succulent 7 could be Echeveria pulidonis.
    Succulent 10 is either Echeveria 'Black Knight' or 'Black Prince' (I have never really sorted which is which, in common with a lot of labellers).

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Rosemarie.... is that California sun doing something to your brain?????? And, NO, the "E" is NOT for Echeveria; it is for Euphorbia, but you knew that and you're just playing with me, aren't you!!!??? You told me how to use Photobucket and manipulate the pics to look nice. Now the problem is Photobucket has changed their format and it has become extremely difficult to post multiple pics at one time.... bummer!!! And I was just using the pictures to demonstrate for greendale how to post multiple pictures in a single post.

Marguerite, this might help with the difference btw Echeveria affinis v 'Black Knight' and E. affinis v 'Black Prince. Think of "The Knight of the Roundtable".... Sword in hand.... The leaves are narrower and more pointed, while "The Prince" is wider. The leaves in greendale's picture look too "chunky" and more like they have some Graptophytum in its parentage, but then what do I know!

Next, just to set the record straight. The issue with the first picture is that this is a cutting that was rooted leaving behind the stem which I am going to assume is still planted. If this is the case, then there is an excellent chance that new plants will grow from the younger leaf scars. It is a slow process and requires some good sunlight and warmth, but I do it all the time when they get tall and start to fall over! What you will get are small leaves growing from the leaf scars; maybe two or three. With time, they will develop their own stems and can be removed to root on their own.

• rosemariero
    11 years ago

LOL, no, my CA sun brain is fine, Howard...but I'm worrying about you with that MI white stuff!! I didn't say anything about your 'E' plants!! Hee hee hee! Greendale figured it out, though.

You did a fine job of posting multiple pix for example. I, too, had some trouble with Photobucket's new format. BUT...I have figured it out (for multiple pix posting...and hope to post a mini-tutorial soon. (Tax returns come 1st!) Gasp! I had to go look for DIRECTIONS!

You are correct, Howard...#10 has some Graptopetalum in it...making it xGraptoveria 'Royal Flush'.

There may be some Echeveria whose stems will grow new leaves after being cut off, but I think likely not for most. Aeonium, on the other hand, are more likely to do that.

Have to jump...on to other things...

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

bikerdoc, thanks for that helpful way to remember which is Black Knight and which Black Prince. So it seems that the latter is also shorter and stouter, possibly caused by too many princely meals and a lack of knightly exercise :) I'll remember now!

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Greendale you have a pretty healthy collection

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Pretty echeverias

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks teen
    Just an update on the chopped echiveria, there is some new growth on the trunk, yay!
    P

• teengardener1888
    11 years ago

Sounds neat!!!!!!!! can you give me cuttings.............kidding myself

• greendale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd love to send you cuttings if I have any - but for the postage you'd get a better one in any big box store :)