Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_termine

Should I 'panic'?

TT, zone 5b MA
11 years ago

Just kidding...and wondering what my T. paniculatus is doing...has anyone had theirs do this?

Mine is a very slow grower. In my clime, it really just puts out a set of leaves every winter, not much more. This year, it is doing this:

{{gwi:515618}}

{{gwi:515621}}

{{gwi:515624}}

{{gwi:515625}}

Branch extending? Etoliating? Flowering (don't really think this, just thought I would throw it in there..)?

Thanks!

Tom

Comments (14)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

A new pup or baby plant coming out of the center ? Just kidding too.
    Don't have this one but understands what you mean by Sloooooowwwwwwwwww

Welcome back from ... Aruba ? Cooler yes but brighter sun wasn't here very much it could use some too, supporting your thoughts on etoliating.

I tend to think you know what to do, yes you have permission but liability lays on someone else.
    While you have then in your hands I'm almost sure if to suggest the smallest nubs at underside be removed sooner or if wait to see. Would that branch thicken out a little more if you did ?

Is a very nice peel on the main trunk

• hanzrobo
    11 years ago

Tom, don't panic... and definitely don't ulatus - nobody wants to see that.

Your plant doesn't look to be etiolating. I doubt that sort of thing is happening to someone like you. I don't have any Tylecodons but that looks like a flower to me. It looks like what an Echeveria or Sedum does when it's about to bloom.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

Would be nice if it were a flower - in four years of co-habitating with mine, it has never flowered before so I am not familiar with how this looks at the start. Maybe you are right....

Next time I 'panic', I will simply take two tyle-codeines and call you in the morning...

Ugh - sorry.

Thanks!

Tom

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Tom, don't you mean "Tylo-codone", a combination of Tylenol and Hydrocodone...., then cal the Doc in the morning... LOL

Sorry, just couldn't resist!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

I don't condone this display of peeling, nothing more than peeling, plants.

My first thought too was a flower spike, Tom. Then it got me thinking which Tyles are flower-first, leaf-later and which were the converse.

Really sweet plant. You should know that Ryan, if he had one, could grow it in the ground there. Maybe I should give him mine.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Jeff. I am very jealous of this in the ground growing thing you refer to!

Here in the northeast (much like by you, I'd imagine) I can't even see my ground...

T

• noki
    11 years ago

From what I read the plant does flower in late "spring"... after the leaves fall off, or the leaves turn yellow? So this might be early for flowers, assuming the plant gets enough light to actually grow flowers.

So, the plant in the Northern Hemisphere should get leaves in November? Or whenever in winter that the tree gets watered?

When does it grow new permanent growth/branches? Early on in the awake winter period from stored energy? Or late winter if the tree had a good winter? Or just whenever the tree feels good out of dormancy?

What do you do with the plant in the summer? Put out in the sun so the bare branches can soak in the sun? But avoid rain?

These are so confusing. Winter and summer reversed. Northern and Southern Hemisphere. Water in winter. Challenging set of opposites.

11 years ago

Noki, these plants are actually very easy if you live in a winter-rainfall-area. Otherwise, you adjust accordingly. Grows in winter, doesn't in summer, yet is a sculptural leafless beauty in the height of summer. There are shrubs of it in San Diego County that would envelope small families.
    You do nothing in the summer - leave it alone, with the barest of sips (perhaps) once a month. I had mine both PIGed and in pots and the treatment was the same, pretty much, except I didn't water the PIGed plants (they were in the same bed as the Dudleyas, another excellent SouCal plant).

Plants adapt - if they leaf out in spring there, they'll leaf out in spring here. Same-same with winter-growing plants - if they're leafing in September, there's nothing to dismember. Wait, if they're leafing in fall there, they're leafing in fall here, but like your favourite box of cereal, some settling will occur with them modifying their growing time to what's programmed in their DNA. Yet that too can be modified, so what I'm telling you is for general purposes only - your mileage will vary, but yes, by and large this is how they do it.

It's not confusing unless you make it confusing - feel the force of the Othonna, Luke.

11 years ago

Tom,

I'd also find out if those leaves along the bract are viable, too - I think they'd be just like jade, just much more toxic!

• noki
    11 years ago

I understand the basics of how in grows in nature, but I guess what I'm asking... how does this grow for Tom, for example. What should someone expect growing the plant in a pot in the Northern Hemisphere? In a cold winter area. How can one actually get it to grow? Must be kept inside during winter, and watering and cloudy grey winter days are not a great mix. You could put it outside during summer, but then rain storms might be an additional problem. Just how challenging is this? Not that a challange is bad, can be intriguing.

11 years ago

Tom and I both grow in less-than-optimum conditions in your referenced northern climes. His does, as pictured, fine and flowering (what could be better). Mine plugs along. They stop growing in April and resume in September. Give them warmth, light/sun and water in fall/winter and you'll eventually be rewarded with what Tom has. What I have is fine - it's not flowering, but it's growing as it should be (plant in forefront of pic). It will give up the ghost for six months or so most directly, but these grow the same way north of the Mason-Dixon Line as they do south of it, just not in the ground. Admittedly they don't grow as well as they do down below, but that's no reason to not grow one.

{{gwi:515626}}

Sometime I was awfully confused myself about These Plants of Ours. When I found myself in times of trouble, I listened to this and it showed me the way, or at least which way to water.

{{gwi:515627}}

This post was edited by cactusmcharris on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 3:23

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Winter growers as there are many genius is in sense a topic of it's own most winters are slower to grow any where they grow. In our cold frosty north additional lighting is often required and inside protection from frost is a must.

After reading more follow ups there is no doubt Tom had set his timers before his trip.

Difficult to express for some winters but even if dormant there is something happening in the roots.

Winters depending on what it is by genre, the pot size and other factors they could need in smaller amounts some water during outside summers but should be kept under cover protection from rains.
    Noki take the challenge Try a couple of the winters, grow them to grow em let the flowers be the plus.No challenge is left unrewarded if you learn something along the way.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi -

My approach with these plants is as these fellas describe. It starts to leaf out for me in the fall, indoors under metal halide lights in a room with skylights. Cool nights, warm ish days (sometimes).

I did upgrade the lighting over this plant this season. Digital ballast and 1000watt bulb that really cranks! Maybe that is contributing to its new found virility?

If the snow ever melts here, I will move it outside. When it drops its leaves and goes dormant...which it may do soon, because it really starts to heat up in the sunroom in spring ...well, usually...I will put it in a small greenhouse out back and keep it dry.

Tom

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Small protest I still desire a certain summer grower to grow as well as this winter grower