Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming Aeonium? or Echeveria? ID Help Please.

Posted by alex_i 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 19:00

Hi everyone.
Fairly new to the succulent world and not sure if these are aeoniums or echeveria. I am sure our experts here can help i.d. these for me. I have had them for over 2 years now and this is the 1st time they have bloomed. I feel bad that even though I have not paid much attention to caring for this plant (as much as I do with my other plants), it still rewarded me with gorgeous flowers. I have even left it outdoors during winter freezes and hot summers (over 105 degrees) here in Las Vegas. Pics below.

Thanks very much in advance,
Alex.

Buds started showing Valentine's Day.

Full Bloom around March 20 and still in bloom as of today

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming Aeonium? or Echeveria? ID Help Please.

Why feel badly when they're doing so beautifully? Lovely blooms, but it's neither an Aeonium nor an Echeveria, rather some kind of Crassula (they are related all being Crassulacae).

Something like Crassula rupestris or perforata, I'll leave it to others to say for sure. Very nice, enjoy!

o

BEAUTIFUL! Love the series...leading up to the gorgeous macro of the blooms! It is Crassula remota, often mistaken for C. rupestris (similar looks).

o

Lovely basket! I started out small and ignoring what I had too. But eventually, one thing led to another and here I am.

Penny

o

Yes, that last photo is the loveliest nosegay of Crassulaceae I've seen all day!

o

• Posted by alex_i 8b Las Vegas,NV (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 16:51

Thank you all for your i.d. help and compliments. It is just this season that I have realized how hardy this plant is and given the bare minimal care I have given it, still manages to give a good show. I am giving it more attention this time around so it'll stay healthy.

Alex.

o

Well wait a minute Alex, I thought the lesson here was what a rugged, sturdy plant you've got there, & to keep doing (or not doing) exactly what you've done thus far. I wouldn't give it TOO much attention now.

Thanks for posting it, it's divine to look at!

o

• Posted by alex_i 8b Las Vegas, NV (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 18:47

Pirate_girl, Hehe, yeah I originally thought about saying what you said about "not giving it TOO much attention." But this time, I just won't leave it unprotected on freezing nights and 110 degree days, just so it does not feel ignored. Many years ago, not having the benefit of forums like ours, too much attention to my jades ended up over-watering some of them. Lesson learned :-)

Thanks again. Cheers.
Alex.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here