Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligrown

Suprise From The Local Home Improvement Store

caligrown
10 years ago

Hey all,

Today while I had some free time I took a trip to my local Orchard Hardware & Supply(OSH)to get ingredients for my potting mix and pots. For the past two years, knowing how hard it is for us plant enthusiasts to resist plants I have promised myself to only get the ones I cant live without. Anyways I was shocked to see they had a couple Aloe ferox and Aloe marlothii available. I quickly grabbed the rest they had in stock.

What uncommon plants have you been able to find at your local home improvement stores?

Regards, Patrick

Comments (9)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Patrick,
    I'd have to say one of my purchases from today, a Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubrispinus 'Rainbow Cactus.' I've only found one other in town in the last six years. I've never see a Aloe marlothii here, but I've seen a couple Aloe ferox before (a couple as in... two lol; those seem to be a rarity here too).

Planto

• caligrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Planto...(wish I had a first name to address you by)

I actually saw one of those today while I was at home depo getting ingredients for my soil mix and pebbles for top dressing. If I was able to grow good looking cactus species for any length of time I would have snatched it up. Instead I left with a commonly available Haworthia species. I kind of feel like an idiot now.
    Anyways we should probably add a few pictures to get the ball rolling. At the moment I have the plants bare rooted and drying out for the night due to minor root pruning. Ill add a few pictures tomorrow after my massive re-pot and propagation session tomorrow.
    Anyways I would like to see others surprises at your local home improvement stores. It doesn't have to be rare, just something you usually don't see.

Regards, Patrick

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Patrick,
    I'm Beth. *shakes hand* I'll take a picture of my 'Rainbow Cactus' tomorrow for you. You could go back and get the one you saw. :) I'm not enabling you whatsoever here.

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Patrick,
    This is the best picture I can provide of my Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubrispinus 'Rainbow Cactus.' The flash doesn't do the best "justice," but not having flash selected just washed the colors out.

Planto (Beth)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

That is AMAZING! I've never seen anything like that, I'm not a cactus/succ fan actually as I grow Jades mainly, but I do like the folks on this forum! And, if I saw one of THOSE, I would certainly nab it...thanks for posting...Beth!
    Gill UK

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Gill,
    I thought so myself, hehe. I used to have another one (I rotted it, shame on me!) that was more reddish pink all over. This one has more of the rainbow look I was hoping to find. You should see their flowers. I pulled this one from online.

Planto

• kitkeane
    10 years ago

Got this Allaudia procera (Madagascar Ocotillo) at Home Depot last year. Haven't seen it before or since.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Beautiful cacti, Plano, and quite a large Alluadia kitkeane. Cool finds.

I think my marlothii was from OSH. Unfortunately the OSH near my home closed. :( Still got a nice plant, though.

{{gwi:465136}}

I did get Beschorneria 'Flamingo Glow' from that OSH as well, and an Acer palmatum 'Ryusen'.

• caligrown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey all sorry for the delayed response. I forgot to mail my cable company check this month so I was without internet for a few days anyways on to the pictures.

Aloe marlothii

{{gwi:515844}}

Aloe ferox

{{gwi:515845}}

@-Kitkeane... I also bought a Allaudia procera from Home Depo last year.

{{gwi:515847}}