Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Haworthia flower and seed

Posted by JAndrews none (jacobandrews@sbcglobal.net) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 19:09

I bought a little 2 inch haworthia (Midori No Sono) back in mid January. At the time it was flowering. In the beginning of March, the flowers developed into two seed pods. It must have been pollinated by another plant in the nursery. One of them broke open before I could get all the seeds but I managed to collect 7 or 8 seeds from the plant altogether. I potted up the seeds two weeks ago and then went out of town for a week and a half. When I came back, three had germinated.

I set them up pretty much the same way I did my cactus seedlings. Sterilized the potting soil and perlite 50/50 mix, put it in a styrofoam cup and soaked in water, sprinkled the seeds over (this time I sprinkled perlite fines over them because the cactuses keep falling over), and put it in a zip loc bag.

I recently bought several more Haworthia that are either flowering or are about to. I love growing things from seed so I'm going to try to pollinate them (can Haworthia self-pollinate?).

Is there anything else I should know about germinating Haworthia seed? I didn't really find a lot online that wasn't what I already expected, but I wanted to make sure.

Also how common is it for Haworthia to flower indoors?

Thanks,
Jacob

(P.S. My earlier attempt at Echeveria pollination didn't work. They were all clones of the same plant so I doubted it would, but I hoped I'd get lucky. Oh well! Thanks yall for your help!)

This post was edited by JAndrews on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 0:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Haworthia flower and seed

Most haworthias are self-sterile but a few will set seed by themselves. You can use a hair to pollinate them or if you want more control you can carefully remove the petals and take an anther from the "male" parent and put the pollen on the stigma of the "female" parent.

Here's a photo I took of the parts involved:

o

Also, choose the parents wisely! Don't cross plants just because they happen to be blooming at the same time; go for characteristics you want the offspring to have. Otherwise you'll end up with generic looking green blobby cabbages. Well, they'll be your babies so they'll still be special! :) Make sure you record who the parents are. Try using an extra plant label, and stick the label behind the seed ("female") parent's label. That way you won't have to deal with color coded strings or tying lilliputian tags to the flower stems.

Once the seed pod starts swelling, slip a section of clear drinking straw around the pod so if it cracks open you don't lose all the seeds.

o

Great, that's just the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks!

o

Does anyone know if Haworthia flower inside, or under what circumstances they flower best?

o

• Posted by teatree zone 8b/Oregon (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 13:59

I have my Haws flower in the house just fine. In my experience, they haven't been too picky about doing it.

o

Cool, thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here