Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandrews_gw

Haworthia flower and seed

JAndrews
11 years ago

I bought a little 2 inch haworthia (Midori No Sono) back in mid January. At the time it was flowering. In the beginning of March, the flowers developed into two seed pods. It must have been pollinated by another plant in the nursery. One of them broke open before I could get all the seeds but I managed to collect 7 or 8 seeds from the plant altogether. I potted up the seeds two weeks ago and then went out of town for a week and a half. When I came back, three had germinated.

I set them up pretty much the same way I did my cactus seedlings. Sterilized the potting soil and perlite 50/50 mix, put it in a styrofoam cup and soaked in water, sprinkled the seeds over (this time I sprinkled perlite fines over them because the cactuses keep falling over), and put it in a zip loc bag.

I recently bought several more Haworthia that are either flowering or are about to. I love growing things from seed so I'm going to try to pollinate them (can Haworthia self-pollinate?).

Is there anything else I should know about germinating Haworthia seed? I didn't really find a lot online that wasn't what I already expected, but I wanted to make sure.

Also how common is it for Haworthia to flower indoors?

Thanks,
Jacob

(P.S. My earlier attempt at Echeveria pollination didn't work. They were all clones of the same plant so I doubted it would, but I hoped I'd get lucky. Oh well! Thanks yall for your help!)

This post was edited by JAndrews on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 0:01

Comments (6)