Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Agave I.D Needed Please:

hijole
10 years ago

I purchased this at an Estate sale a while back but never knew the name of it, does anyone recognize this type?

Thxz, Greg

Comments (27)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Agave Xylonacantha. I just threw out one due to my freeze.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aww.. wantonamara, So sorry to hear about all the Agaves you've lost this year, I have seen your post and saw that earlier this week, I can only imagine that it's not a good feeling to see your babies die due the weather (frost) I would be devasted for sure if they were mine.

Thanks for the help & maybe when mine starts sending me some pups I can send you one.

Greg

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    10 years ago

That is (IMHO) a particularly attractive form of A. lophantha, sometimes referred to in Europe as A. heteracantha. Seems there is a recent movement afoot to legitimize that name. It is not A. xylonacantha, despite the superficial resemblance. You'll find a similar offering in Post #2 by clicking the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave lophantha

• seedmoney
    10 years ago

I agree with Germanstar--I grow this in the greenhouse and mine is labeled A. lophantha...brought it with me from Florida. Attractive, but beastly thorns!

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im still looking at the pictures becuz theres such a close resemblance, But here is another one in need of an I.D

Thanks, Greg

10 years ago

A. lophantha leaves are thin and pliable, A. xylonacantha leaves are thick and extremely rigid.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GermanStar, Thank you, On that note these are very thick and extreamly rigid, almost Vicious looking.

Greg

10 years ago

Serious? They don't move at all? They look really thin in the photo. Whatever, that is the "heteracantha form" of A. lophantha, there isn't the slightest doubt.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry GS, i must be confussing myself, are we talking about the 1st picture or the 2nd agave picture, i was referring to the 1st one that was thick & ridgid, The 2nd agave pic has thin leaves and smaller thorns at the tips but it's a younger plant. Sorry if i'm mixing you up, I'm not trying too.

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I am agreeing that that is A lophantha. The teeth are much more "double" on the Zxlonocantha. I have this one also. I went out and looked at it and yes , this is A. lophantha. Things in this marginata group gets confusing. A. lophantha gets confusing all by itself because there are so many natural intergrades. Wait till you see the grey line between some A. lophantha and A. lechuguilla . It does not help when people who live where they are native (texas) can't tell the different because of all the natural intergrades.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,, So we have the final answer, it's Agave Lophantha, Well I'd like to thank Wantonamara, seedmoney & GermanStar my mind has been provoked today to search out all the different types I never knew existed before. Confussing? Yes a little bit but I came out with a clear understanding & I appreciate all your comments very much.

I almost feel bad asking this but do any of you know the Name of the 2nd pictured Agave I used to think it was a Joe Hauck but I'm just not sure.

Thanks for the comments,

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

My GUESS is an Agave desmettiana,a variegated form of itâ¦. I can't grow them here so this is theoretical knowledge from seeing it picture and a few lost souls in the nursery. I am sure someone brought it home and it is now dead as a doornail in some Austin yard.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks wantonamara, I'll look up that name & research it a little at least I now have a lead, thanks again,

And if there are any other ideas please let me know.

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

A picture from the side would be good because A. desmettiana has a very distinctive curve and shape to the leaves and the rosette.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Greg,
    4/10/12 I sent you a med-sized Agave desmetiana variegate. That's the one you thought was a Sans. I believe you left it in the perlite I shipped it in. Until I told you to change it. Did that one survive?
    Stush

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush, I remember that, And I did think it was a Sanseveria at first until it started growing like crazy busted right threw that plastic dixie cup and just keep on pushing it's way into the garden, then finally I asked you what kind of a sans is that because it was becoming my fastest growing one so far, that's when you told me it was an Agave Lol... So I placed him into the ground and Boy has he grown up, i'll have to take a picture of it and post a picture of it on here hopefully later on today if not for sure tomorow.

wantonamara, I'll take a few pictures of all directions also to give you a better angle of the agave in the picture.

Greg

This post was edited by hijole on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:45

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush, this is it, It has grown exceedingly since his trip from Penn. especially since I thought at 1st that it was a Sans. even tho I realize and kno that its an agave, Im still very surprized at its growth.

Thxz again Stush, your agave is soon coming.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I can only post 1 at a time so maybe Ill limit this to only 2. Heres a dif. view that I hope helps identify my mystery agave, again I previously thought it was " Joe Hauck" ???

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wantonamara, 2nd picture of dif view.

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Definitely a varigated A. desmettiana

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, thxz wantonamara, I really appreciate your help on I.D.ing this agave, now I can look up the growth habits and care for it better.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, omg... I just realized the name A. desmetiana is the same name that Stush sent me but only its a dif. color & shade otra it a dif type of the same? :/
    thxz Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Joe Hoak is a desmettiana.Yea, I was wondering why you needed a ID when Stush had already given it to you. I think JoeHoak has dark bits on the outside of the white margins.

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi wantonamara, Ok, Ive never known that J/H was a A. desmitiana, and as you can see I thought the one Stush sent me was a Sanseveria. Anyway Im not very good at the name game so I need to do more research on them and write notes.
    So the one Stush gave me is one of the A. desmitiana & the 2 nd one is another type of the desmitiana family right?

Well Ive had a long day Ill just have me a good nights rest and start over tomorow and google some of these types, thank you for your help.

Greg

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Greg,
    That Agave looks great. You did a great job growing it. The other one may look the same under your great care. I am glad I gave it a good home with you.

• echemaniac
    10 years ago

Agave desmetiana Joe Hoak

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stush, thank you, I must say I was very excited when I realized what you gave me, I like the fact that its not a common one such as the blue or green with yellow margins, this type is not your everyday agave, not even in my parts of the woods, thxz again Stush.

echemanic, Hey thats it! Mr. Joe Hauck, Boy now that is one nice looking agave, and thanks for sharing it too.

Greg

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!