Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spapa_gw

Help! Birds eating succulents

spapa
10 years ago

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you solve it? First they ate my sedums, then started on my Graptoveria 'Debbi,' which I have now brought inside. I see about 6 birds on each planter at a time. They are small, like finches, brown with a reddish under side -- unfortunately I don't have a photo. I could use chicken wire as a physical barrier, but it would be quite unappealing to look at. A little bit of research turned up Deer Off as a possibility, has anyone used it and had success?

Comments (5)

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

It was probably a wren. I had a breeding pair in my yard last year and they developed a 'special' taste for one spineless cactus in particular. I surrounded it with cacti WITH spines, making it very difficult for them to find a good perching spot to continue the attack. Keep in mind, though, that I'm in Wisconsin, so I'm pretty sure that our house wrens aren't as cactus savvy as cactus wrens. :)
    Can't say if the Deer Off will work, hopefully others will chime in.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrens

• hijole
    10 years ago

Spapa, well I can only suggest the oldest trix in the book & it has a proven track récord too, are you ready for this one? I wish I could put a drum roll sound on here, ok... "A ScareCrow!!!" & get a real wild one that will scare them really good.

Well its the best one yet and I'll be checking back on this post also. I cant say that Ive ever had this problem before but it makes perfect sense, hope it works and let us know plz.

Or maybe just place a bird feeder in the yard, HEY! Im just trying to HELP.

Greg

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Ha! Good luck. I've had these little ****s terrorizing me for years. They run as soon as they see humans and are not dumb enough to fall for any sort of traps. Can't even get close enough for a good BB gun. They like to borrow into my venus fly trap pots and mess with my seedlings. They take chunks out of small succulents, etc. My guess is that they are after water- but I refuse to put any out for them cause there is a pond nearby!

• spapa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone! Unfortunately I have to keep my plants inside for a while because we have a nasty weather forecast. I was hoping the 80 degree weather would stick around, but no such luck -- 6" of snow predicted for tomorrow!

As soon as I can keep them out for good I'll start implementing some of your ideas.

And yes, they take chunks right out! I also read somewhere that it could be they're looking for water. I might break down and try putting some out for them. No pond nearby for me :P

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I put a decorative wire basket over my agave seedlings. It looks reasonably attractive while still protecting the plants.