Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Decarya madagascariensis,hanging plant.

It put out a growth spurt late in summer and added some branches. This is it after I took it outside, hosed off dust and a few mealys. It's posing before it goes back to the windowsill...

{{gwi:516441}}

Comments (13)

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

One day (in some years) it will develop a stem and learn how to grow upright.

Jordi

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Stan and CJ,

Isn't there another one, too? Decarya (sometimes spelled Decaryia, too, it seems) decaryii? Maybe I'm thinking of the Didierias?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think Cactusmac thats the Triangle palm Dypsis decaryi. And so many plants end with madagascar,etc.
    I'm not sure why it hasnt sent out a leader, Jordi. It was more shrub and up right at first-then a right angle took over.
    I wouldnt mind another-maybe I could rest a branch or two on another pot and hope it roots a stem or two.

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Cactusmcharris..I've seen it spelled decaryii..Toni

• stephania
    14 years ago

I found this remarkable xeric plant prefer a lot of sunlight.

My friend, Gift, grows a nice specimen in a big pot outside.

{{gwi:516443}}

A smaller one that he brought to our local plant show win the best of show in xeric plant section.

{{gwi:516445}}

{{gwi:516447}}

{{gwi:516449}}

• caudex1
    14 years ago

Stan,
    I think it's light thing, it needs more. Although it does look pretty good they way you have it.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I dont know,Stephania's friends plant is also a weeper. There just are no photos of plants in habitat on the net. And nobody has anything approaching tree sized they are supposed to reach.
    It's on that table just for a photo. It spends it's time right up against a large hot southwest facing old window-the kind that lets in UV light galore in summer. Adeniums and Pachypodiums are some of its window mates.

• stephania
    14 years ago

Hi Stanofh, some years ago I visited Madagascar two times, first to the northern and western
    second to the western and southern that I enjoyed in the spine forests.

As your mentioned, I guess that most member in Didiereaceae seem to start
    with small bush when young, then become a huge spiny tree by shooting
    a major upright stem, bigger year after year.

Actually, I've not seen Decarya madagascariensis in the habitat,
    but I saw other close relatives : Didierea trollii, D.madagascariensis, Alluaudia spp.

Couldn't find the pics now, but would like to show you a nice specimen of Operculicarya
    with me along the way to Ampanihy town, South Madagascar.

{{gwi:516451}}

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

Here you can see that this taxon can grow upright if it is old enough. I have two seedling plants of 10++ years which now grow like this one:
    {{gwi:507059}}

{{gwi:516453}}

and several younger rooted cuttings growing more horizontally like this:
    {{gwi:516457}}

Jordi

Original Author
    14 years ago

Jordi's photos show a peculiar trait to this plant I dont think I have run across with any other-this plant can and does grow well without leafing out. Maybe it grows faster in the few months it has those tiny leafs. Now,I know Euphorbia cactids and Alluaudia's can do that,but this is the first shrubby,twiggy, plant I've run across that also grows on stems alone. Not a big deal-but more to make this plant loveable-lol.
    I mean-just look how Jordi's(mine too) refuses to leaf When Adenium arabicum and Pachypodium namaquanam is happily leafing!

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

I think I never noticed now growth without leaves (but my memory might be wrong!)

{{gwi:516461}}

BTW, in August '08 it opened its impressive flowers for the first time:
    {{gwi:516464}}

Jordi

• cactusjordi
    14 years ago

I meant 'new' growth, of course.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Its so slow growing and out of leaf so much,its sneaky. Or so it seems.
    Like a plant out of a Hollywood science fiction movie.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH