Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've been whacking my crassulas....

Posted by greenclaws UKzone8a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 19:36

and here's what I've done to the Crosby's Compact for starters...please comment as I need more suggestions to help me make them look better!! The original plant had quite a tall rootball as it had been previously growing in a regular shaped pot but I was afraid to shock it even more by giving it a more severe root whack to fit an smaller one than this. It had stretched a little as you can see from the cuttings so I'll try and keep it more compact this time it already looks promising, but I'm not sure if the cuttings will improve given time...what do you think? Thanks for looking in.
Gill UK

Crosbys Compact photo P1010216Medium.jpg

Crosbys Compact photo P1010218Medium.jpg

Crosbys Compact photo P1010219Medium.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've been whacking my crassulas....

Very nicely done!
During the Summer just keep pinching away. 'Crosby's compact' responds so well to tip-pruning that those cuttings will be bushy in a season's time.

Josh

o

Looks great! Love that middle picture...nice and short, filling in very nicely :o)

o

Hi there Josh and Nancy, thanks for stopping by!
I am amazed at how quickly this one has sprung back into life as it was completely leafless once I'd done the deed. I pinched out all the growing points on the cuttings so fingers crossed they will begin to fatten up. Trouble is with all this whacking, you end up with so many more plants!
Gill UK

o

...yes, tossing cuttings into the compost pile is difficult, but has to be done eventually. I have no more room for cuttings, either. Interestingly, I whacked one of my 'Crosby's Compact' Jades at the beginning of Winter (eventhough I know it doesn't encourage the best growth). That Jade is coming along slowly. Last Summer, I took it upon me to pinch the growth on one of my sister's 'Crosby' Jades and that one is looking lush and full! I will post a pic.

Josh

o

A shot of my sister's 'Crosby's Compact' that I pinched last Summer....not the best picture, but I'll get another at the earliest opportunity. I find that this variety colors up very well for us in cool northern California.

Josh

o

I couldn't see what you've got in that pot due to the beauty in the background! What a gorgeous view you have!!

o

Josh, that's looking good! Your sis' is indeed very lucky too have you around....I wish someone here grew the things I do, maybe that's telling me something? My Crosby's stayed rather dark in colour, showing deep greens/burgundy/red colouration especially in the colder months. So, you can imagine how pleased I am to see that the newly pruned mother plant shows those fresh bright leaves.
Azpedsm, thank you for your comment, we like it too! Please check out my other recent Jade posts to see more of the views...and some more jades also.
Gill UK

o

Thanks, Gill! I took a few more shots yesterday afternoon at my sister's. We've had some heavy rains and the plant is leaning hard....but it'll pull itself around. Now we need to fill in the backside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here