Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave attack

Posted by pennyhal 11Sunset23 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 19:38

I really never intended to get an agave, but they seemed to be the right plant for the spot that I needed filling. So I was tending to them and saw that some cute little weeds were starting to sprout around the base of the plants. I decided to reach in there and pull them out. That was my mistake. As it was such a close area I thought I'd be able to just grab them with my fingers. Wrong. What I got was jabbed, poked, impaled, scratched, and gave up. Wicked plants they are. So how do you get the weeds out from around those plants with sharp teeth? How do you get in between leaves or around the base to grab those weeds without getting mutilated?

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave attack

Long handled tong tweezers!!!!

o

"How do you get in between leaves or around the base to grab those weeds without getting mutilated?"

Very carefully...;-).

Gloves?

o

Gloves , long sleeved shirts, GOGGLES, long handled hemostats are the best. Go well armed, and armored

o

Hmmmm. I see some of you have some experience with this beast. I didn't wear gloves because they were too bulky to get in those tiny spaces. I'll suit up for battle and carry tweezers.

Penny

o

I have a long handle pruner. It works great for rose bushes and also hard to get places. It is 5 ft. long and I don't have to bend over to weed. Hard to find. I found them at Harbor Freight. I wish I had a picture of it. Hard to explain.

o

It's not only the terminal spines and marginal thorns that Agave use to deter molestation, simple contact with a leaf will cause contact dermatitis from ejection of calcium oxalate spicules (about a half mm long SPIKES). That's why a long sleeved shirt is essential. Goggles will save your eyes from terminal spines. Be careful!

Brad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here