Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dstefan

Potted Columnar cactus for hot Phoenix wall?

dstefan
10 years ago

Hey guys, I have a west facing block wall where I want to put a 2' tall 20" diameter thick glazed mexican pot with a tall, sculptural cactus. I have a chihuahuan sage, ocotillo, and yucca whippilii growing happily in the ground on that same wall. It's sunny from about 9am to about 4:00 in the summer when it goes into some shade from the house. I have a 2 1/2 y.o. rapidly growing hybrid paloverde about 10 feet due west that's already casting shade on that spot starting mid afternoon, but the cactus will get some reflected heat in the summer until maybe 1ish.

My first thought was a Mexican fence post or two, but have been told by AZ cactus sales they'll fry, and indeed, a couple I have in the ground further along that wall have to have shade cloth, but they don't get the tree and house shade.

Have considered the Mexican Pipe organ, San Pedro, Argentine toothpick, and others. I know a totem pole would work, but I don't love their look that much. We walk near there, so killer cactus like the toothpick are not a great idea.

Anybody got some experience or ideas with columnar or bigger cacti in hot spots in pots? There is no height limit in this spot, but don't want too much spread out of the pot. I may just try the Fenceposts, but don't want to do that if they're just going to fail.

Thanks,
David in Phoenix

Comments (7)