Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Large Jade #2 whack

Hi Jeff and thanks for responding. I've not worked up enough courage today to deal with this one, it was bad enough doing #1....I'm a 6ft wimp! I need to decide where to cut that big side trunk off first. I quite like the idea of leaving a short trunk at the side and letting it bush out tightly low down...maybe a crazy idea! If I don't like it, it could be sliced off later on. I'd also have a go at rooting the remaining trunk which should in itself make a good plant as you say.

I'm considering cutting the right hand trunk down to the 3inch mark on the ruler, it would then callous over and I often find a portion dries up and pops off back to the last 'node ring' under the cut. It would also need re-potting to straighten it up slightly.

Jeff, when you said in my other thread about slicing off 'minor growth', how far back do you suggest? I'm going to do the same with this one maybe tomorrow if I have time...I'll cut off all the leaf growth by cutting the leafy portions off as in #1 jade. It will be a start and let me see what I need to do next

What have I started? Hope you will come back on this one too, thanks in advance.
Gill UK
{{gwi:517223}}

Comments (17)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

This big Jade looks great, and I, too, think it could benefit from the removal of the side-trunk. I would take it to the last node, but leave a good segment of the internode to allow for shrinkage and callusing. I've marked with a red line where I would make a clean, *sterile* cut.

Once the limb is gone, more light will strike the main trunk, and that may stimulate new growth lower down....which you can develop over time.

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Gill,

I like your idea of cutting it halfway, but I also like its complete removal.....so the degree of slice is, of course up to you, but like a woodworking project, measure twice and cut once. Perhaps it is better to cut off just a portion - you can always go back and cut it all off, as Josh suggests (but I would have it completely sliced off, with no nubbin - for that, you'd have to depot it).

As to the minor branches, I meant the little, thinner ones. Get rid of those, as you did on your 'Crosby's Compact', and the space you derive from that will give you a better idea as to whether to remove more or not. You can't really go wrong with removing as much or as little, but being a minimalist myself, I'd go hard on the plant and make it thinned out in a grand fashion.

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

The second pic from Josh has a real good point of refferance for suggested hard pruning. If hesitant you can also remove more later.

The pic is a hard cut from last year on a Port Afra can show possible results for your base for hard prune at the soil line A second hard cut can also be seen a little higher.

{{gwi:517228}}

New green growth does continue on both of these cuts, if new isn't what you want it's easy to remove untill hardened off.

Note* Use 2mm wire for size refferance but holds lowest branch in a downward level position

Side view:
    {{gwi:517232}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks To the 3 of you for taking time to reply....I always look forward to seeing what ideas/opinions any of you can offer.
    Work got in the way today, and will on Sat and Sun so #2 plant can breath a brief sigh of relief...till Monday! I'm currently favouring the not so brutal total removal of the 2nd trunk at the moment and see what results I get from it. The trunks are continually pushing out new growths from those knobbly areas even low down, which I just rub off when tiny, so I have confidence that the short one will sprout forth. Thanks everyone.
    Gill UK

• nomen_nudum
    10 years ago

I have to take more pics but when ready I'd be glad to add them with a suggested long term crassula nub removal.
    Helpfull to ask. Do you over winter storage/ grow yours inside ?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nomen, thanks for the reply. My crassulas are all confined to either the house or the g/h. Occasionally during the best of our so called 'summer' months they have a brief respite in the great outdoors, especially in times of light rain when they get a good wash down.
    I've heard of the knobbly nubs being sliced off and they callous over after time, I will be interested to see what you have done.
    Gill UK

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Took the plunge and sliced off the secondary trunk on Jade #2, it will dry for a while and then I'll try to root it, but I've never had a go with such a large cutting so fingers crossed. I'm glad I did it as it's already looking better with that single trunk. No doubt the stump will dry and a section should pop-off, so it will then have 6 knobbly bits that should begin to sprout.

When the flowers have died off, I'm going to pinch back each of the growth points to help it break again. Also, both plants have those knobbly node areas on the main branches and trunk that keep pushing growths out...can I slice them off flush with the trunk instead of rubbing out the tiny sprouts? I think that letting them sprout on the actual trunk is not a good look, but I may let a few form some new growths on the branches to fill it in more. Wonder if that was what Nomen was meaning in the post above?
    Here's some pics from the operating table!

Gill UK

{{gwi:517235}}
    {{gwi:517238}}
    {{gwi:517242}}

10 years ago

Good work!
    I, personally, would have removed more of the stub, but that can be done in the future if you should please. Also, I would have left the leaves on the cutting, to help with the rooting process.

Josh

• sam268
    9 years ago

Any new update pictures of this jade?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello again. Sam, yes, give me a few moments and there should be some updated pics but the light is fading here in the UK as it's 9.20pm so I'll see what I can do as I am at work till late over the w/end. I had only thought yesterday (a day off, woo-hoo!) that I need to post again on both of my jade whacking episodes as I have some questions to ask. See you shortly....
    Gill UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I've done the deed, my first pics were all blurred when downloaded, forgot to switch over to auto focus, drat!
    Here's #2, I admit I've not whacked the head of the plant as you can see as I couldn't make my mind up what to do with it and thought I'd wait to see what happened with #1 first.
    {{gwi:517245}}
    The whacked side trunk was left as a 3 inch stub, it dried back and popped off two intermodal sections before settling down to this...the last section as some of you had suggested I cut it too in the first place! Glad I didn't go back this hard as it may have dried back even further. It now has 4 sprouts which I plan to keep small and compact with no length to it...hopefully. I think it does look better than with the twin trunks so I'm glad you encouraged me to do it.
    {{gwi:517247}}
    As you can see, #1 has sprouted forth and I'll do a separate post on #1 shortly. I would welcome thoughts on whether to cut back the head of #2, if so, where?
    {{gwi:517249}}

Gill UK

• Cmoores1
    9 years ago

Just wondering if you've had positive results rooting the trunk that you cut? If so what process did you follow?

9 years ago

Nice, Gill!
    That side trunk did dry back to just the right spot, indeed. I think it looks very good as a single trunk. Good balance.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cm, the side trunk did root to my great surprise as I've never tried one that big before. After letting the cut end dry for a few days I put it in the same mix as the large ones...a very gritty one with bark/grit/perlite and minimal cactus mix. I used a terra-cotta pot and watered sparingly just to settle it in. I wrongly pulled off most of the leaves as my thinking was that this would be best, anyhow, it started to put out new growths but lost a couple of branches that were on the soft side, it would have been far better to whack it I think, but I didn't do so at the time....my second mistake!! Confession time now...I ditched it only the other day as I have rather a lot of Jades these days! Plus it was a very one dimensional specimen.

Josh, hi there. Yes I think you must have had some secret influence on where it decided to dry back to, LoL! I'll try to keep it compact and low. Now to the main question again...what do I do with the main top growth? Would any of you prune back again like #1?

Please take a look at my other thread linked below if you have time anyone...thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

Gill UK

Here is a link that might be useful: large jade #1 whack

9 years ago

Hello!
    I think I'd leave this one alone (top growth) for a while, just to see how much the canopy increases. I'll check the other Thread now :-)

Josh

• sam268
    9 years ago

Hi Gill

Both jades turned out better before it waa wacked.
    If you do prune number 2
    I might suggest to cut all the leggy branches closer to the trunk.
    I will post some pics of mine which I went through similar phases in a new thread.

• sam268
    9 years ago

Hi Gill

Both jades turned out better than before it was wacked.
    If you do prune number 2
    I might suggest to cut all the leggy branches back closer to the trunk.
    I will post some pics of mine which I went through similar phases in a new thread.