Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Gollum getting bigger by the day

Gollum escaped a whacking for the time being as I have no idea where to start! Forgot to put anything there for scale but the tiles are 4inch square. Do you think it needs thinning out please?
Gill UK

{{gwi:517280}}

{{gwi:517282}}

Comments (15)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Sharpen your secateurs, there's a real need for them. Same as your large(st) plant, thin from above/below for desired shape.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Excellent specimen! Prune as you wish, as Jeff says.
    My 'Gollum' has put on some nice growth, but still not bushy enough yet for pruning.

Josh

• Calzoner
    10 years ago

Shape looks great to me. I'd leave as is for the time being if it were mine. Good growing =)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Great looking Gollum Gill!! Nice and bushy and healthy looking :o)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I need to do some forum searching for examples of Gollum pruning to help me with this one even though I like it's overall shape. It hardly ever loses any leaves. Thanks for the replies/encouragement.
    Gill UK

10 years ago

If you want to make a first cut, I could see nipping a little off the left-hand side (the furthest extension) in the first image. Then, I'd look down on the Jade and just balance it out from a bird's eye view.

Josh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again Josh, I'm sure things will look slightly different come Monday when I'll transform into Edward Secateurhands again.
    Gill UK

• nikki702
    10 years ago

ohh I love it... looks amazing :-)

• hijole
    10 years ago

Wow! this can get interesting come monday, it's kind of like getting a hair cut over the phone or 2 Lol...

Josh, good sugestions though I can see it a little off the left then move to the right snip here, snip there snip, snip snip..

greenclaws, i will add this Josh does know his plants not that he needs an advocate or anything just saying.

puglvr, I agree, Nice an bushy & healthy looking ;)

Jeff, Yup! snip here, snip there clip clip clip... and she's looking good.

Can't wait till Monday and if it's to much I remember what one of my barbers used to say " It'l grow back :/

Greg

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

I am usually all for whacking, but I personally like it the way it is...

Christopher

• hijole
    10 years ago

greenclaws, Heres one of mine that might give you an idea, theres so many things that can be done with them.

Greg

10 years ago

Greg, that one's lookin' downright gorgeous!

Josh

• hijole
    10 years ago

Well thanks Josh, mine had been off in a córner somewhere and it grew & grew so when I got to it, I gave him a trim.

Greg

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great looking Gollum you have there Greg, it has a very natural tree-like appearance.
    I will have to take a very close look at mine before I attempt to alter it. I must say I do like the way it looks currently, but there is always room for improvement, but I can't promise at the moment there will be that many Gollum cuttings on the g/h floor come Monday evening.
    Gill UK

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    10 years ago

If it was my plant, I'd let it have another summer outside before I trimmed it. The plant has lots of potential.
    One of the things I like to do is look at trees outside. This time of year, you can see the branches, and I try to mimic the trees I see when I trim my Jades.