Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gollum getting bigger by the day

Posted by greenclaws UKzone8a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 20:04

Gollum escaped a whacking for the time being as I have no idea where to start! Forgot to put anything there for scale but the tiles are 4inch square. Do you think it needs thinning out please?
Gill UK

photo P1010223Medium.jpg

Gollum photo P1010224Medium.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gollum getting bigger by the day

Sharpen your secateurs, there's a real need for them. Same as your large(st) plant, thin from above/below for desired shape.

o

Excellent specimen! Prune as you wish, as Jeff says.
My 'Gollum' has put on some nice growth, but still not bushy enough yet for pruning.

Josh

o

Shape looks great to me. I'd leave as is for the time being if it were mine. Good growing =)

o

Great looking Gollum Gill!! Nice and bushy and healthy looking :o)

o

I think I need to do some forum searching for examples of Gollum pruning to help me with this one even though I like it's overall shape. It hardly ever loses any leaves. Thanks for the replies/encouragement.
Gill UK

o

If you want to make a first cut, I could see nipping a little off the left-hand side (the furthest extension) in the first image. Then, I'd look down on the Jade and just balance it out from a bird's eye view.

Josh

o

Thanks again Josh, I'm sure things will look slightly different come Monday when I'll transform into Edward Secateurhands again.
Gill UK

o

ohh I love it... looks amazing :-)

o

Wow! this can get interesting come monday, it's kind of like getting a hair cut over the phone or 2 Lol...

Josh, good sugestions though I can see it a little off the left then move to the right snip here, snip there snip, snip snip..

greenclaws, i will add this Josh does know his plants not that he needs an advocate or anything just saying.

puglvr, I agree, Nice an bushy & healthy looking ;)

Jeff, Yup! snip here, snip there clip clip clip... and she's looking good.

Can't wait till Monday and if it's to much I remember what one of my barbers used to say " It'l grow back :/

Greg

o

I am usually all for whacking, but I personally like it the way it is...

Christopher

o

greenclaws, Heres one of mine that might give you an idea, theres so many things that can be done with them.

Greg

o

Greg, that one's lookin' downright gorgeous!

Josh

o

Well thanks Josh, mine had been off in a córner somewhere and it grew & grew so when I got to it, I gave him a trim.

Greg

o

Great looking Gollum you have there Greg, it has a very natural tree-like appearance.
I will have to take a very close look at mine before I attempt to alter it. I must say I do like the way it looks currently, but there is always room for improvement, but I can't promise at the moment there will be that many Gollum cuttings on the g/h floor come Monday evening.
Gill UK

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 16:02

If it was my plant, I'd let it have another summer outside before I trimmed it. The plant has lots of potential.
One of the things I like to do is look at trees outside. This time of year, you can see the branches, and I try to mimic the trees I see when I trim my Jades.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here