Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow"

hijole
10 years ago

I just found my pot of gold! Right after the rain today this is what I found right outside my front door. There are signs of Spring everywhere again, I guess this is just for Californians.

All others hold tight! Im sending the sun your way in a few months, mean while please wear your coats & keep your heaters on.

Theres still more room in California,

Greg

Comments (26)

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone know what the trix is in separating this Snowflake, Ive tried before & lost it?

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone know what the trix is in separating this Snowflake, Ive tried before & lost it?

Greg

{{!gwi}}

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Greg, you are really getting on my nerves with your Spring nonsense, when we had below zero here last night...Beautiful plants, by the way. :)

Christopher

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Christopher, Sorry... I told my wife Im going to get in trouble posting this Lol... But I know from another movie that the Sun will come out tomorow.. I think it was "Annie"

All jokes aside when do you guys usually get Spring weather in N.H ?

Greg

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

LOVE, love, love your rainbows, Greg!! That last one is a sparkler~may have to call it fireworks instead! :P

Sorry, I don't know how to separate that Euphorb. Nice clump!

• hablu
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants I see.
    Don't split your E snowflake: it is a beauty!!
    (If you really want to do it: dig it out and see if there is a little one with a few roots. Then cut it and let it dry a bit; put a little piece of absorbing paper (could be part of your newspaper) on the wound to stop the 'bleeding'. After a day or so you can pot it up. It is not really different than make a cutting from a cactus.
    greets Harry

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Winter ends in July, to recommence in September, to paraphrase Lord Byron. Actually late March we should see things improving a lot, though we had an April Fool's Day blizzard some years back, and even snow in May one year...

I really envy you guys out in Cali, except the wildfires and mudslides, of course. :)

Christopher

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thxz Rosemarie, I really enjoy all these colores too and seriously got alot of my ideas from this web site, thxs for the love.

Harry, Thxz, I know what you mean, just leave it alone... Maybe time to get another one But if I do separate them, Now I know how thxz.

Christopher, OMG... I couldnt handle that weather. I like all the seasons but Im really glad to see fall pass by since everything seems to go to sleep, everthing seems like it turns Blahhhh...
    Been out there all your life and if yes you probably have many other great hobbies & past times. If you ever get a chance I think the Beverly Hilbillies said it right, "California is the place we aughta be" :) Well stay warm my friend.

Greg

• mushibu10
    10 years ago

oh wow I love how healthy your succulents look, I fine it hard to keep them in southwest UK indoors I love the hunting horns jade and euphorbias

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Greg, I'm red, yellow, pink, purple and green with envy. :)

We have sun, however you can send warmth this way.

Your succulents are beautiful. Love the different colors.

Can't believe how red your E. tirucalli is this time of year. Mine is green, but will color up in a few.........months. lol.
    Toni

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Gorgeous arrangement!

Actually I think the wildfires and mudslides that the media talks about (which local to only developments in hills and outskirt areas are non-existant in 99.5% of Southern california) is just to keep masses of people from moving here!!

;-)P

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Hey Greg...

Honestly can't handle the weather here anymore, looking to move to Florida this year, actually. More humid than you there in LaLa land, but no mudslides, earthquakes, or wildfires. Just sinkholes and 'gators to deal with.

Indeed your 'Firesticks' E. tirucalli is nice, I have one in my window, but not half as colourful as yours.

Christopher

• rredbbeard
    10 years ago

May we call you Dorothy? ....is the rest of the world in black and white like here in CT? j/k, and more than a little envious! Seriously, after a snow storm here, there can be a complete lack of color outdoors.

One of your plants looks a lot like my graptoveria 'Fred Ives'. Could you name some of the other plants in your pictures?

Thanks!

--Rick in (B/W) CT

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rick in (BW ) CT, NO I woul d only settle for the Lion 0r the Scarecrow lol..
    As far as nameing a few I would rather leave that to Rosemarie if she gets @ to it, she's very busy but very good at the game.

Chris, Sink holes, gators OH MY!!.. might as well add Lions in there too lol.. Let me think about this for a second, ahhh.. No! Lol...

Toni, thxz, I added this pic just for u enjoy it :)

Yorkiemiki, thxz, but no fires @ my parts of the garden but there's plenty nuff all around for some crazy reason.

Mushibu, thank you, I think I owe it to the fact that these plants thrive on Neglect, I used to claim I had a green thumb but always being away didnt help.

Greg

• spapa
    10 years ago

Greg, your plants are beautiful!

My husband and I are considering a move to California when we are finished with school, and your photo convinced me! We had -10 degrees and snow earlier this week here in Colorado, and last year I couldn't put my succulents outside until the end of May -- we had blizzards the first week of the month!

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spapa, Thank you, Your gunna love California, and so will your succulents, they thrive, not only on the weather but on neglect too just for starters lol..
    Ive been to Colorado once and that was enough and it was durring winter time and I knew my succulents wouldnt be ok alone, unlike Calif. U can go on Vacation and come back after a week or two & they'd be as happy as could be & looking as good as ever.

Greg

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Looks like the pot o' gold must at your end of the rainbow, Greg..... ;-)
    California is a big State, and we're still drizzly and cold up here in the hills.

Josh

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hang tight, Josh Mr Sunshine is on his way up North to pay you a visit & shine on your garden as he always has by the looks of your plants I've seen.

Man I just can't wait to get my clippers on my succulents to start choppin and proppin and poppin dem into the ground. I have cut and repotted some but only because I can't control myself, for the most part I'm holding off & not taking any chances with my nicer plants until the weather gets a little more settled, because the weather can be like Spring one day and the next day BAM it's cold again, Well what I mean by cold is the temp is like 48 - 50 degrees. .

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, this is a casualty of mine from last year, I got a little to excited, cut off the sunburst aeonium's head and I was antiscipating many more pups and I ended up with a hallow stock rotted out. That was one tough lesson for me which Ive never forgotton.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A day of working in the garden turning over the soil to plant more succulents.

Greg

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

...just follow the red brick road...

Thanks, Greg, for the nice shots.

tj

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tj, lol... That's it! I'm painting my bricks Yellow tomorow. That's funny Tj :)

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just get so excited about planting all my freshly cut succulents and enjoy the many colors they provide. Have a great weekend and Spring your clocks forward.

Greg

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

adding just one more color makes this container look brilliant, instead of a rainbow maybe the 4th of July would of been fitting.

Greg

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Took this as the sun was going down one evening,isn't it pretty??

{{gwi:518057}}

another shot of it the same day.
    {{gwi:518059}}

kathi

• hijole
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathi, Pretty, it's Gorgeous!!! And of course your in the beautiful Southern Cali Zone I could look at those pictures all day long (and I do) Lol... sometimes too
    Thanks for sharing your garden & please post more .

Greg