Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Now that we got the money part over, show me what you bought!

Ok, I start this out with some of what I purchased so far. This is no ordinary Echeveria. It is built more like an Agave. And is larger growing than most. And was cheap at Home Depot. What more can you ask for?

Comments (66)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Stan, that's what I tell myself when I order or see something at the store..."I can't get this or that because I don't know where to put it", but I move things and squeeze and somehow they fit. So are you sending the above two to me for safe keeping?

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 11:28

• tneomi
    9 years ago

Hi Stush
    all of my succulents are outside (under a roof during the winter) and most of them did well this winter (it was a quite hot and dry winter this year)
    Now they out of cover again
    I have a lot of pictures but I dont know how to put more than one in a single post so here are some of them

• tneomi
    9 years ago

more

• tneomi
    9 years ago

some more

• tneomi
    9 years ago

and

• tneomi
    9 years ago

also

• tneomi
    9 years ago

and

• tneomi
    9 years ago

And I do not have time for all the rest ........

This post was edited by Tneomi on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 13:07

• bob61
    9 years ago

Looks like everybody is digging into their wallets and parting with their hard earned money.

Stush To cold and wet here for anything to go in the ground. Got down to 15 F this winter. Not much would live here after that. I'v got more plants than room for them. glad I'v got all summer to figure out where to put them for the winter.

Tneomi nice collection. Some of your pots are interesting.

Wantonamara I bet you have several plant lists waiting to be ordered.
    Bob

• spapa
    9 years ago

Went to the Colorado Cactus & Succulent Society Show and Sale over the weekend, brought another 12 plants home with me. Besides the windowsills and bookshelf, here is my dining room table:

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

This is my "score" for today. While I was at HD, I got to talking to an employee and apparently burst her bubble. She had recently purchased six painted cacti and thought that was their natural color. I also pointed out that the "straw flowers" weren't really flowers. Despite bursting her bubble, she did seem to appreciate the information, as those were the first cacti she'd ever purchased and didn't know about the "straw flowers."

Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubrispinus 'Rainbow Cactus,' Aloe hybrid 'Pink Blush', Kalanchoe blossfeldiana, Mammillaria elongata 'Lady Fingers' (just look at all those children!), Unknown Agave

Thanks for looking,
    Planto

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I am no longer in the market for house succulents. House all filled up. But my outdoors have suffered terribly this year so I did find this absolutely gorgeous silver Agave striata to poke me while I weed. It is so much paler and bluer than my other A. striatas, seen behind it . OH, I am trying not to buy stuff this spring. We will see how that goes.

{{gwi:518265}}

This post was edited by wantonamara on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 12:30

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

I am glad I found this post. Last Friday I bought 6 cut-rated schlumbergera. I have no idea what colour are they going to be, but they looked miserable at the shop, I couldn't leave them there. Since some parts had rotted already, I replanted all of them. Unfortunately the rot had a hold on 5 out of 6, so I had to start from the scratch. Keeping my fingers crossed they will live. I will post the photo when I am going to be sure they survived (a wee bit superstitious, will brag when I am sure lol).

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Here's some of my Echies.

Recently rooted Perle von Nurnberg cutting.
    {{gwi:518266}}
    Princess Blue
    {{gwi:518267}}

X Gibbiflora Hybrid {{gwi:518268}}
    {{gwi:518269}}
    Neon Breakers. I have two small ones as well that have more defined edge waves and better coloration I need to get on my album.
    {{gwi:518270}}
    Dondo
    {{gwi:518271}}

This post was edited by Sundewd on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 14:30

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was at my loco Wal-Marts. Very suprised to find a whole display of colorful Sedums, Echeverias, Aeonium and lots of barrow cactus with straw flowers pasted on them. Most was under $3. I was over whelmed and only purchase one Aeonium Kiwi. Also at my Lowes another no ID Echeveria. Hope it not 'Neon Breakers' I just got that one week before. Really nice if it turns out to be Gibbiflora Hybrid. Tell me what you think.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Stan, maybe E.shaviana??????

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Either Shaviana or one of the ruffles varieties that's been through a hard life. Walmart needs better plant care skills.

Original Author
    9 years ago

That larger one I'll call ruffles for now is from Lowes. Wal-Mart didn't have a chance yet to do any harm. I should have taken my cell phone so I could have captured all the colorful succulents on display. It was over whelming. Only reason I didn't buy any more, even if free, I just got no more room.
    Stush

• reggie
    9 years ago

I have no idea why I bought these plants but I guess the call of Spring got to me....as well as the first show and sale of the year.

Bought at the Orange County Cactus and Succulent Society Spring Show and Sale, March 2014

Top Right to Left
    Haworthia koelmaniorum, Faucaria tuberculosa - Japanese line, Carruanthus peersii
    Bottom Right to Left
    Cynanchum marnierianum, Haworthia 'White Ghost' (? unmarked), Faucaria candida

{{gwi:518272}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cart Jumpers

Original Author
    9 years ago

Reggieee,
    Not to be found at any big box stores for sure. Nice hual. Hope you didn't bust the bank. Still, very nice.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Yes, spring is in the air, even here in Michigan! These came in the mail today... just hope I don't kill them!!!!!! Haworthia have become my new weakness.... "My name is Howard and I am a Hoarder!"

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 12:16

• cactus_cowboy
    9 years ago

I recovered my 18 year old greenhouse with twin-wall polycarbonate last fall. That was the major expense in recent years. At this point, I'm sowing lots of seed and working on rebuilding my C&S collection.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Howard,
    What are you going to do now? I think we multiply our addition here and no help in site. I know I have way too many plants yet I look and want more. I am out of control. If all the seedlings that germinated for me continue to grow, I am out of house completely come winter. Yet I still look and almost go on a buying spree. Stop it guys, your making me go crazy.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Stan, both of us should be attending some kind of help group, like I'll help pick out some for you and you can assist me.... sound like a great plan????

Cowboy, nice pic and great greenhouse... good for you.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Beautiful sunset and greenhouse . I know how you feel Stush. I sat on my hands for a week and a half trying really hard to be good and all it did was make me burst out of control harder and spend more when the gates opened â¦at the C&S show at Austin.

Back;Echinocereus rigidissimus 'Coahuila', White Sands Claret Cup, Echinocereus coccineus,
    Front;Gymnocalyceum Schickenpantzii delatii, E. fendleri v kuentzleri, E. fendleri

{{gwi:518273}}

Front; Echinops hybrids, Mamillarria plumosa, Hoodia jutae.
    Back; Agave striata 'Live Wires'

{{gwi:518274}}

• notolover
    9 years ago

Some lovely plants and supplies everyone!

Here are my new babies; and that is it for the year money and space wise (except I plan on visiting 2 nurseries this spring).

Mine are either Ebay or mail order since the BBS don't carry Paramount or Schick hybrids. Looking forward to some gorgeous flowers this summer.

Yes--there are a few non E hybrids in the picture :-)

• hijole
    9 years ago

Wow! glad to see So many addicts on one post, everyone seems to be past the excessive stage & into being fully out of control. Now can someone explain just how we all got hooked?

I started out by a friend simply giving me a couple for FREE ! then I'd run into some up town while shopping and BAM!! I was hooked! just like that, I said to myself I could control it and STOP buying anymore when ever I wanted too ( NOT ) And here I am still finding myself starting to ShAkE all over when I see somemore... I can't take it anymore .. Lol...

Then I ran into this Garden forum that had these really cool people that just had a innocent desire to talk about htere cacti & succulents and even offer to trade and sometimes even give you a plant or two, and so many people who just seemed NORMAL at 1st but then after talking to them a few times you realized ALL they wanted to talk ABOUT WERE CACTI & SUCCULENTS OMG...

But I still love it, Greg

• notolover
    9 years ago

I got hooked as a child when my Grandma had a white flowering Echinopsis of some kind. I collected all kinds of cactus for a while, then concentrated mostly on Notocactus.

Now it's full circle back to Echinopsis--love the flowers. Probably will never have grandchildren to pass the joy on to, though.

I don't have too many other succulents; although I enjoy the pictures that everyone posts. I just don't have the room.

• notolover
    9 years ago

Cactus Cowboy,

Just noticed the amazing colors on your picture. Glorious. The green house ain't bad either :-)

I live near the Sierras and I love the sunrises/sunsets in the winter. The prettiest shades of pink I've ever seen.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Greg,
    My interest actually started when I got interested in growing houseplants years ago. I'm not sure how it stemmed over to C&S, as they don't have them in the same area at most of the BBSs I go to.

Planto

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

It all started when I was in the ninth grade and brought home my first Spring cactus clippings. Then for a few years I was too busy studying, but got few new cacti (Schlumbergera) since I have birthday in December and then they are the top flowers in the pot to gift somebody else. But the real obsession started 4 years ago when browsing the net I discovered many colours of Schlumbergera. I have many NOIDs since nobody here is interested in giving names for Schlumbergera (at least I am glad they don't get called Christmas cactus anymore as it was few years back), my collection is growing (36 at the moment).

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, we could have started a new post. "How I got addicted to plants".
    Greg,
    Sounds like drugs. Got the first for free, felt good and now I can't get enough.
    Myself,
    I think it was when the Agave plants injected me with their needles and now it's in my blood. I go hog wild on one type of plant like Sansevieria then into Euphorbias then Asclepiads, now into Aloes. Both regular and hybrid.
    BTW cactus_cowboy, That picture of your greenhouse is just overwhelming. You got all the colors just right.
    Oh, I forgot my Agaves also.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Just got this mail order today so I thought I'd get things back on track.... hope this doesn't offend anyone.

• cactus_cowboy
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments about the greenhouse photo. That was snapped about twenty minutes before sunrise a couple months ago.

How did I get started on C&S? That would've been a packet of mixed cacti seed I planted when I was 13 years old, in 1970. What a thrill to see them grow and finally flower a few years later. I remember going to the local library and reading books about cacti culture. I made my own potting mix as recommended in a book: well composted leaf mould with plenty of grit.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Biker not at all offended hopefully spending under $ 20.00 at an area C&S show isn't offensive either

Original Author
    9 years ago

Offensive NO, jealous YES.
    Howard,
    Four caught my eye. The ruffles on the back plants and the front middle, Euphorbia? and behind some Asclepiad?
    nomen_nudum,
    A creasted Euphorbia Mili? First I have seen one.
    Stush

• hijole
    9 years ago

bikerdoc, What a nice variety of goodies you got there, I enjoy all the colors and textures.

ME OFFENDED, NEVER!!! Put your hands up!!! AND HAND OVER ALL YOUR PLANTS LOL.... :)

Greg

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Was thinking a very bave purple cabbage lost biddings to an echeveria too.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

ECHEVERIA 'MARJORIE POGUE' on the left and ECHEVERIA DRAGONAS on the right back, I think??????

Then L ~ R EUPHORBIA MEDUSOID HYBRID, EUPHORBIA MUIRII, which is similar to E. caput-medusae, HAWORTHIA FASCIATA 'SUPERWHITE', ECHEVERIA AGAVIODES 'EBONY', EUPHORBIA PSEUDOGLOBOSA, ECHEVERIA AZULITA and ECHEVERIA 'BLUE BIRD'.

Stan, there are no Asclepiad in the picture.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    9 years ago

Howard,
    You have become a Hoarder, but in a good way.
    Great plants !!!
    Sharon

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Sharon, this could be you....just a short field trip to Charlotte....LOL

• notolover
    9 years ago

Well I must confess that I was a HD today for plants to put in my turtle pen and I found 3 Rainbow bursts that I just had to have (not for the turtle pen). They all have buds and the form of each is different so I'm hoping for different colors.

And I got one of my Ebay plants E, Paramount Aurora. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up and 5 fat buds were still hanging on--hoping for a great show.

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

I found something quite rare today while out to get a bag of garden soil. A gorgeous E. Horrida hybrid
    {{gwi:518275}}
    {{gwi:518276}}
    {{gwi:518277}}
    {{gwi:518278}}
    {{gwi:518279}}

I'm super happy. Always wanted one and this is a nice specimen cluster.

• danbonsai
    9 years ago

Sundewd,
    Beautiful plant. When I go out for a bag of soil, I'm lucky to come home with a bag of soil...c&s and associated paraphernalia are sooo slim picken's in my locale. My local Walmart has just brought in a great assortment of neon coloured cactus. Great! And my HD has a nice assortment of little guys with nice straw/paper flowers. Super!
    Not all bad though-nice greenhouse an hour and a bit away.
    Great find!
    Cheers,
    Dan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sundewd,
    I have E. Horride Snow Flake but it is not as white as yours. Very nice one you got there. Do you plan to seperate them or keep them all plied up on each other?

I just got my order in from Smoley's GardenWorld. He included many extras. Like two stem cuttings instead of just one I ordered. So I got many extras. Some of the cuttings ordered also came with tiny roots starting. Also Rootone power on the cuts.
    Stush

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Stan, so what was in your order? And which ones of the extras are you sending my way????? LoL

Howard

• Sundewd
    9 years ago

Stush, so you think it is Snow Flake? I was thinking some sort of Major due to the rib patterns and crimson growth leaves on top. Yeah, I plan to keep them piled up but do plan to at least repot them soon.

Everyone check your Home Depot and Lowes stores because the one in ny pic I found at HD. Yesterday I checked the other HD in town and struck out in finding another but across the street was a Lowes where I found another one labeled as E. Cereifornis, a variation of Horrida. It's not as big as the first but came with several good sized starter columns and a few babies. Will post pics soon.

Idk why but they have out out some expensive stuff this year. Among the Horridas I have found I have also scored several high end echeveria, variegated agaves and aloe as well as huge pots of x Crosby's Prolific aloe. Plenty of PPA plants too. All for $20 or less. Been a good year for bigger stuff.

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

Other day I went to the flower shop to buy my colleague a good bye gift since she got a different job. Well there was EC in a colour I didn't have yet so I bought one for her and one for myself.
    {{gwi:512004}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, here's my picture of Bob Smoley's order;
    Huernia hystrix, H. pillansii, Stapelia flavopurpurea, S. flavirostris, Euphorbia avasmontana, E. kibwezensis, E. trigona variegated, E. seudocactus.
    Howard, after they root and I know I will have one. Your welcome some of my doubles.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another new plant today. They look even better fully grown in the full sun.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?