{{gwi:518439}}

Comments (20)

• gargaile
    15 years ago

Very impressive!

What kind Jade is this?

• joscience
    15 years ago

What is your plan for the canopy? Will you keep everything tight next to the stem, or will you encourage horizontal development?

• caudex1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to reduce the hieght 1st, then some encourage some lateral growth and see what it looks like.
    {{gwi:518440}}

gargaile,
    It's the variegated variety of the common jade. Oh, and for size reference the bonsai pot is 18in wide

• dragonstone
    15 years ago

I'm jealous! My variegated jade has remained dinky and small ever since I bought it back in 2007.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Great step-by-step!
    This ought to encourage folks to make confident cuts when pruning their Jades!

Josh

• caudex1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you like it Josh! Major pruning like this takes some fortitude the 1st couple of times, most think about it too much. If I did that I'd never get anything done.

dragon,
    Mine was small once too. What made it take off was when the roots escaped the pot about 10yrs ago, and I never moved it. About 2yrs ago I decided to move it, took a pick axe to get it free from the ground.

• baptistkitty
    15 years ago

Cutting off all the roots like that don't bother it?

• caudex1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

baptistkitty,
    I do this regularly, usually every few years and have never had a problem. Although this is the 1st time I've removed such a large amount of root, should recover quickly as long as I don't over water it.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the step by step instructions!! Very helpful...you did a superb job as usual. That's a very nice variegated jade. Can't wait to see it in a year(maybe less)!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I had to bump this up because that is such an amazing plant and a job well done. I just bought a variegated Jade so I hope some day mine comes halfway close to this one.

If the poster is still around, I'd love to see what the plant looks like now.

• valyn
    14 years ago

I agree, Keith.
    PLEASE send us an updated photo of this verigated Jade.

Val

• caudex1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:518441}}

As you can see I haven't done anything like I said above, had another thought. I'm make a 14" x 1.5" oval that should be done next week. I'll transplant it then shorten the height accordingly

• valyn
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the pic.
    I can't argue with your plans because I always love the results. PLEASE keep us updated with photos.
    By the way, I LOVE YOUR POTS!!!!

Val

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

I didnt even know there is a cream variegated Jade. I have that other type and it never grows planted in a tub with a big Euphorbia ammak.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    14 years ago

What a fantastic plant and well done for being so brave. I was wondering how on earth it was stabilised in your lovely Bonsai pot.... then in the last pic I noticed what looks like wiring around the root ball...am I correct?

I have a couple of large Jades myself, but their trunks are entirely different from yours in appearance, mine are shiny and smooth, yours look really aged. Last year I trimmed my 2 as suggested on here, they look good now, but not as good as this one!

I have never seen a variegated Jade here in the UK, I will have to look out for one of those, they look really interesting.

• deburn
    12 years ago

Hope it's ok to bump an old thread, but hopefully others will find it useful too.

Caudex, do you prune the roots first or the leaves? I'm assuming you don't do both together because that would be too much of a shock to the plant?

If that's the case, what interval do you recommend between pruning the roots and the leaves? Assuming the plant is healthy etc

thanks!
    db

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

I'm bumping this up again, hoping Caudex will post current pictures.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Indeed! I'd love to see the progress on this grouping!

Josh

• Crassula2013
    10 years ago

I just pruned, (chopped), my 22" jade back to the main trunk to 6". I've done this with several jades over the years to get a thicker trunk.

• hanzrobo
    10 years ago

Yes, let's get an update, Keith.