Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this be saved?

Posted by alkh86 none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 20:49

So I'm moving into a new house and look what was waiting for me in the back yard! Any ideas on an ID? And can this be saved? It seems like all the tops are red and a bit dry from the sun, but underneath its all green.
Posting with my iPad, so one pic at a time. Srry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this be saved?

Pic 2

o

Pic 3

o

That for me is stapelia I have a few of those beautiful flowers when they bloom I've never seen it like that I would cut back the dead and water it there very hard to kill

o

From the pics, the limbs look good.
I'd just water it and see what it does.

Josh

o

Water it and move it to a shade location that can provide bright indirect sun. A good example of improper indoor to outdoor transfer. The cement walkway reflects enough heat to stem any inside moisture to a boil or heat cook many types of cacti root.

o

I think it is a Huernia schneideriana. It has small red flowers . A relative of the stapelias. I think it is having winter tan . As temps warm up and it get a bit more moisture, it will green up. I would wait before doing any cutting back. I would not water it much if it is still cold. It looks great. What an amazing specimen! It likes some protection from full hot summer sun. I have mine in partial shade.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 0:16

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 7:39

It doesn't look that bad at all. Tan and dry is not the same as rot. Tan and dry is temporary. It is rot (black, mushy) that is fatal. As wantonamara says, with warmer weather it will green up with watering, but don't overdo it on the water.

o

Magnificent old specimen! I agree, it looks like a Huernia to me. Flowers will cinch the ID for you.

o

thanks all! my thought was a Huernia of some sort, guess I'll have to get it back to healthy and wait for some flowers. I moved it out of direct sun the other day, I'll go ahead and water it tonight and cross my fingers!
thanks again

-A

o

Some member of the stapelia family -- Huernia was the first thing that came to mind to me too.

As others have mentioned -- the plant doesn't look bad at all. "Saving" it should not be an problem as it doesn't look to be in any great distress. (D***ed nice specimen plant there!.) The tanned stems can be remedied by moving it to a bit shadier local as Hoov mentioned. As both Hoov and Wanton said, go easy on the water until it enters active growth,

o

I find that watering as they go through the change from winter to summer must be gentle change. Usually they are happy on light once a month watering in winter. I would water once every two weeks lightly at first. and when up it to once a week in heat of summer and it is actively growing. We don't want to water if they are not growing and it is cold. I am just going through that transition now. My Huernia zebrina is especially sensitive to too much and too early water at this time. The one that I named is much less sensitive. Florida is a good place for stapeliads. I have seen some amazing examples of them in Florida.

o

I will definitely give it a little bit of water, it's gotten quite warm here the last few days and the house was vacant for quite a while and the poor plant has not been looked after at all. When I went to look at the house I asked the landlord to let me have it- even if I didn't get the house. They were going to throw it away, but I think my interest in the plant helped us get the house.. so Yay new house with bonus plant. I've been looking all over for any stapeliads and I've not been able to find any in stores. I was so happy to find this one :)
thanks for all the advice I will post updates on this guys progress for sure!! :)

o

oops- tech dificulties

This post was edited by alkh86 on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 16:25

o

Bob Smoley's Gardenworld has a lot of them. He is in Florida. One can order off the net or , I do not know how far you are, but a visit might be in order. I have never ordered from him but I have heard good things BUT he is a one man business, I think I remember hearing, so he can be a little slow. You will find stapeliads under Asclepiad listing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Smoley's Gardenworld

o

Bob Smoley's Gardenworld has a lot of them. He is in Florida. One can order off the net or , I do not know how far you are, but a visit might be in order. I have never ordered from him but I have heard good things BUT he is a one man business, I think I remember hearing, so he can be a little slow. You will find stapeliads under Asclepiad listing.

o
RE:Yes it can be saved

o

Ooh. Dunellon's a bit far for this city mouse. But, I will call and see if he'll be at the annual green thumb fest here in town this month. Thanks for pointing me in his direction wantonamara :)

o

FYI: there was a post at Hoya Forum in early March about Bob Smoley who is apparently ailing & in the hospital. Sorry I don't know how to post a link, but the info. had been provided by his daughter (I believe it said it was posted on his Facebook page).

So likely his business has slowed for the moment.

o

According to his FB page he'll be at the Green Thumb Festival a few blocks fom my house on April 27th & 28th! Yay! I emailed him to see if he's still coming.

o

I got a response almost immediately! They plan on being there! Yay!

o

It can be saved! I moved to the screened porch after some heavy rain and it is going back to green! I also noticed around 6-8 flower buds! I'm so excited! These will be my first stapeliad blooms!

o

Some bud pics:

o

Here's another:

o

Yay!

o

Possibly huernia schneideriana?

o

Excellent specimen plant...it looked great in the first photo also, in my estimation.

Christopher

o

Yay, looking good! My personal preference is colored up (the 1st pic). Happy to see it bud for you! Yes, looks like it could be Huernia schneideriana. Please come back & show us the blooms when they open! =)

o

Gotta find one of those! Gorgeous plant, alkh! Glad you rescued it!

o

Here they are!

o

A few days later

o

Close up

o

They're everywhere!

o

I've counted at least 18 buds

o

And now the waiting game for this guy

o

They look great!! Wow-what a lot of buds! ID is Huernia schneideriana, as we thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here