Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reptilegrrl

Pencil Cactus, poisonous?

reptilegrrl
18 years ago

I was recently offered a cutting of Euphorbia tirucallii, and while researching ofr care info I found a page that indicated that this plant is VERY dagerous to have around the house/yard: http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epoisons.htm

What do you think? Obviously, I am not planning to eat this plant, but is there really a risk of being squirted with sap? I do have sensitive skin and eyes.

Comments (25)

• Denise
    18 years ago

Yes, when you're pruning Euphorbias (and espcially this one...), be cautious of the white sap. It is caustic and can "burn" your skin if you're sensitive (I'm not, so have never had a problem...) Use gloves and protective eyeware and wash up after handling the plant. Keep children and pets away from it. It's not harmful to grow as long as you know how to handle it properly. I grow lots of Euphorbias (they're all toxic to some extent) and I'm just very careful with the hand-washing.

Denise in Omaha

• biwako_of_abi
    18 years ago

I had a tirucalli. It seemed to me that it "bled" much worse that my other euphorbias when I cut them. It didn't "squirt," but it dripped and dripped. The trouble is that if you aren't wearing protective gloves, you can think you have washed the sap off, but enough might still be there to cause a lot of pain if you rubbed an eye.
    If I could have been sure that no one would come into the yard and break off a piece and be harmed by the sap, I might have kept my tirucalli, but I decided to give it away. (Didn't want to keep it indoors, either, because I have two cats that might take it into their heads to chew on it or break a piece off.) I have a number of other euphorbias that I don't think people would be so likely to break a piece off of, so those are right out there in my succulent garden, and I don't worry.

• reptilegrrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was asking because I have read these accounts of the plant "squirting" sap to a distance when being pruned, and that sounds pretty nasty.

I will definitely be sure to wear gloves and sunglasses when pruning. I also don't want to let this plant get too big- I don't like the way they look when they get really branchy.

thanks, y'all!

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

RG,

Squirting toxic sap - that's a new one, but it goes along with the legendary Saguaro opening up and unleashing torrents of creepy-crawly tarantulas....

A few things I would suggest:

1) It's not a good plant to have around if you have small children and you're not able to prevent any contact with the plant and the children. That said, if you're reasonably careful you won't have a problem.

2) If you're going to grow lots of Euphorbias, you should also grow Aeonium lindleyii - its crushed leaves are a palliative for Euphorbia sap.

3) If pruning lots of Euphorbias (especially the large or very branchy ones), I wouldn't depend on just sunglasses - I'd have goggles. Also spray the areas to cut with a mist of water, and have a bucket of water standing by to staunch the flow.

• buckhem
    18 years ago

I have pruned literally hundreds of pounds from this plant. As long as you are careful and remember NOT to rub your eyes, you won;t have any trouble. It never once has done anything like squirt.

Buck Hemenway

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:518985}}

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Like the picture! - which one is the pencil cactus?

• jadegarden
    18 years ago

I'd say the E. tirucalli is the big one in the middle of the photo with the sort of reddish looking ends. It's fabulous - makes me want to get mine in the ground right away so it can really achieve its potential.

• mindgardener_comcast_net
    17 years ago

What I thought was my pencil cactus doesn't look like this photo. I got mine in New Orleans, brought a piece back in my suitcase. Now it's huge (for a house plant--4' tall and very branchy.
    The plant is like very thin green sticks or rods, thinn as a #2 pencil. I love it, but must give it away if it is poisonous. Recently my 6 year old mini macaw died mysteriously--necropsy did not show anything toxic in its system but I want to be sure my African Gray parrot does not eat it. Can you tell me if this is also a pencil cactus?

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi MG,

I think you should provide a picture if you'd like to get it IDed. When you snap a branch, does it bleed white sap? Why don't you just give it away to be sure.

Do you cook w/ Teflon or non-stick pans, I've heard those can be dangerous to pet birds as well.

• jim2007
    17 years ago

Ok poisonous or not what do you do after it got hit with winter frost - yes in AZ during Dec

• ines_99
    16 years ago

The one in the picture is I think called "Firesticks"...I have the all green version, and this is a very cool plant! Mine was less than a foot tall when I got it and taller than me now. It does drip, but I have never had it squirt me, and I prune it every year so it doesn't get out of hand. I'd love to get my hands on the red one, been on the lookout for a while, no luck yet..

• mokikat
    16 years ago

I warned my husband to be very careful if he pruned this plant but he ended up breaking out in a rash on his arms and
    he had to go to the doctor. Be careful with all plants in the Euphorbia family.

• xmasgirl43
    16 years ago

Message to Ines 99....here is a link to purchase Firesticks (the red one)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus Collection

• Gwaeraurond_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Nope. Not poisonous at all. Not even the slightest bit of irritation... but I guess that depends on you. It's more a matter of allergy than poison. Some people even find grass irritating to the skin. Poison Ivy is the same way. Not actually Poisonous, just irritating to those allergic. I say allergic, because not everyone actually is allergic. There are many people who don't get a reaction from Poison Ivy. The same can really be said of anything. You name it and someone is allergic and someone is probably immune.

Personally, I think you should just expose yourself to a drop on your skin right near a sink, with some anti inflamatory drugs handy. (some would object to that, but it's better to expose yourself intentionally in a controlled situation than accidentally in the garden.) If there is no irritation at all on your bare skin, then you should be fine, if you experience any, then wash your hands quickly and don't cultivate it.

For me, and all the people I personally know, there has not been any irritation at all. On the contrary, it feels cool to the touch. The milk also flatten moles into the skin with just a drop left on, and a few applications will remove skin tags. In my home we use it as a cureall for many different skin ailments.

But then again, mine is a bit unusual. Most will loose their leaves right after new growth. Mine retains it's leaves after new growth, and they continue to grow larger and fuller. And old growth actually seems to self prune. An end will shrivel then fall off without a mess. So maybe there are varieties among even the same kind of Euphorbia Tirucalli.

Note: The attached image link was not photoshopped. It's just that the bright green of the leaves react with the flash to create a glow.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:518987}}

• cypss522
    13 years ago

Nearly lost my eyesight from this plant.

• Casey M
    8 years ago

spent the day in the ER today after pruning this plant. I wore gloves and washed my hands carefully, but still somehow got the sap in my eye. This was the worst pain I have ever felt, including giving birth. I could not speak because the pain was so sever. I immediately began flushing the eye with clear water while a family member ran to get an eye wash. The pharmacist advised that if there was still pain after 15 minutes of washing to go to the ER. While flushing with water and with the eye wash solution, the pain got worse and we rushed to the hospital. They used topical anesthesia before inserting a cone inside the eye with an "IV bag" attached for continuous flushing for about an hour. The pain is less, but may be because of the drugs, and they said it will last for several days. I will have to go back several times to assess any long term damage to sight. My eye is swollen shut.

This plant looked unusual and there were no warnings on it. But the Drs said that the sap is a latex that is used in some countries as a replacement for poison and is used in homicides. It is also being considered as a replacement for gasoline. I had no idea! I just thought the colors and shapes were a cool contrast in the garden. But not if you won't be able to see them! Be very careful!

• kaktuskris
    8 years ago

I touched one drop of the latex of a non succulent Euphorbia that grows wild years ago, that put me in bed for three days, with both eyes almost swollen shut, and a rash all over my body. Whether wild or cultivated, we should know what we are dealing with beforehand. I was foolish to have touched it. I don't think we should put warning labels on plants, it should be a matter of the buyer doing due diligence before making a purchase.

Christopher

• lisasborn
    8 years ago

There is no red or green version. The green plant turns red if you plant it to get plenty of sun.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    8 years ago

lisa,

Nope, you're incorrect there. There are two versions, but the green one gets truly giant if put into the ground.

• Ms H.
    7 years ago

Firestick is a horrible plant. My neighbor planted it in a planter outside of my condo and my phone feel into the bush. I had a milky sap on my hand and then intense burning followed by swelling of my hand, arm and sharp pain in my spine and swelling of my joints. A few days later swelling of the back of my head- my brain! This a toxic plant.

• biwa45
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Cactus McHarris, I haven't been here for some time, but it's good to know you are still around, if far removed geographically. Are you able to grow any succulents outdoors where you are?

Someone in this thread mentioned the possibility that E. tirucalli may not be so irritating to everyone, but that an allergy may be involved. Do you know people who have had experiences with the plant? I remember hearing that someone in SDCSS had a very unpleasant one or two week experience with the sap, but their sight was not affected in the long run. Opinions seemed to vary as to which euphorbias might be the most dangerous, and that would make sense if allergies are in play.

I once had a big E. tirucalli, but had a minor scare with the sap irritating my eyes, even though I wore gloves to handle it and washed my hands. Fortunately, just flushing the eye for several minutes got rid of the unpleasant sensation. Then I got rid of the plant. The sap from other euphorbias I have grown never bothered me at all.

I can't pinpoint the neighborhoods exactly, but there seem to be a great many yards with E. tirucalli in some areas to the east of San Diego, like Lemon Grove or Spring Valley. It does look beautiful. I have seen small ones planted along the strip beside a sidewalk and even one largeish one right on a street corner. Now that we have a door to our back garden so no innocent person could
    wander in and be harmed by E.t. sap, I am thinking of growing it
    again--but not in the front succulent garden, where anyone could enter
    through the gate and might be tempted to break off a piece unprotected.
    Our next-door neighbor has several bushes of it growing on a high level
    behind their house and will give me some cuttings.

---Biwako

• Todd Schmit
    5 years ago
    Pruned mine yesterday got plenty of sap on myself and nothing happened. I just washed it off later. I think it just depends on you and whether you’re allergic.
  • Rob Blomquist
    5 years ago

I don't keep Euphoria due to the latex problem. One friend was severely injured, and I have a family with children and dogs. I don't want anyone hurt.

• biwa45
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Perhaps the thing to take away from this discussion is to be cautious and test a tiny amount on your skin to see if you are allergic. Then, even if your skin has no adverse reaction, be determined ("just in case") never to get any of it in your eyes. Of course, for the sake of others who might be allergic to it, make sure you don't keep the plant where someone that doesn't know the potential danger could come in contact with the sap.

It is certainly a spectacular and beautiful plant when it grows big and has plenty of sun to bring out the color. By the way, the sap does not "squirt" out, but when the plant is cut, does drip out rather profusely, and it would be only too easy to come in contact with it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting