Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

Alphabets: Letter D

hanzrobo
12 years ago

I guess it's my turn to introduce the letter D, as in Denise.

Ladies and gentlemen, with no further ado.... D!

Dinteranthus wilmotianus

{{gwi:519376}}

Diplosoma retroversum

{{gwi:519378}}

Dracophilus proximus

{{gwi:519380}}

Dudleyas

{{gwi:519382}}

Comments (32)

• Beachplants
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh you start of with my "unicorn" genus! I have been trying to get Dinteranthus seeds going for 2 years now and after some consultation with Steve, he said fresh seeds and they damp off easily...I will keep trying until I get them going. Just sowed some Diplosoma and Dracophilus, today 1 week ago. Thanks for the nice pics.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rian,

Tell me about it! I started 5 different pots of various Dinteranthus and only one tiny seedling made it through. I've purchased 3 plants in the last few years and this is the only one left. I'm also determined to sow them successfully, waiting til September to try again. Good luck with yours!

• caudex1
    12 years ago

Dudleya virens ssp. hassei
    {{gwi:519383}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Dudleya delight. Gosh, love those plants.

Only have a Dyckia (probably 'Cherry Coke') to share, sadly!

{{gwi:519385}} {{gwi:519387}}

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Almost forgot about Delosperma lehmanni!
    {{gwi:519389}}

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Glad you got the 'D's up & running, Ryan! What a great variety of plants you have! More to learn about!

I believe one of my plants was (now gone) the same as yours, Keith. Nice!

Pretty Dyckia, Colleen. I have one similar, but can't find pix of it at the moment. I did find this hybrid, though: {{gwi:519392}}From Cart jumpers SDCSS Jun 09

Don't have time at the moment to track down the names on each of the following Dudleya, so I'll just "photobomb" you with them (thanks for the term, Ryan).

Ryan, isn't that Delosperma going by the name Corpuscularia? Or is that old now?

Click for larger view:

{{gwi:519394}} {{gwi:519395}} {{gwi:519396}} {{gwi:519397}}

{{gwi:519398}} {{gwi:519399}} {{gwi:519400}} {{gwi:519401}}

{{gwi:519402}} {{gwi:519403}} {{gwi:519404}} {{gwi:519405}}

{{gwi:519406}} {{gwi:519407}} {{gwi:519408}} {{gwi:519409}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Oh, that hybrid is STUNNING, Rosemarie. I assume that's the beauty we briefly discussed via e-mail awhile ago?

I adore the Dudleya. Love the shades of blue and those pink-red edges.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Yes, that's the one, Colleen! Close enough to a D. l-m? =D I love the colors of those Dudleya too.

Link below -NOT my plants- to the Dudleya that we found off the side of the road when my friend, Al (RIP), came to visit from DE. Thought you'd enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Dudleya

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Totally close enough to pine for! :D And that side-of-the-road Dudleya is gorgeous. Most definitely enjoy.

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

I forget what the rules are, and somehow missed a-c... but here are some D level photos of plants I own.. . (have lots of better photos of other people's plants... oh well). I will stick to genera that start with D, or I could post over 100 photos. As it is, i still have to leave a bunch of stuff out (which is good, since I don't seem to take good pics of my own plants).

Dudleya virens var hassei
    {{gwi:519410}}

Dudleya lanceolata
    {{gwi:519411}}

Dudleya traskiae
    {{gwi:519412}}

Dudleya unknown species
    {{gwi:519413}}

Dudleya pulverulenta
    {{gwi:519414}}

Dudleya edulis
    {{gwi:519415}}

Dudleya gnoma
    {{gwi:519416}}

dudleya caespitosa
    {{gwi:519418}}

Dudleya brittonii green form
    {{gwi:519419}}

dudleya brittonii white form
    {{gwi:519420}}

Dracaena draco (Dragon Tree)- get credit for 3 'd's there!
    {{gwi:519421}}

Dasylirion wheeleri
    {{gwi:519422}}

Dasylirion longissima
    {{gwi:519423}}

Delosperma sp.
    {{gwi:519424}}

Dyckia red leaf
    {{gwi:519425}}

Dyckia brevifolia
    {{gwi:519426}}

dyckia bronze leaf
    {{gwi:519427}}

Disocactus
    {{gwi:519428}}

Deuterocohnia brevifolia
    {{gwi:519429}}

Deuterocohnia lorentziana
    {{gwi:519430}}

Deuterocohnia lottae
    {{gwi:519431}}

Drimia media
    {{gwi:519432}}

Dendrosicyos soccotrana
    {{gwi:519433}}

didieria trollii
    {{gwi:519434}}

Dioscorea hemicrypta
    {{gwi:519435}}

Dioscorea elephantipes
    {{gwi:519436}}

Dioon califanoi
    {{gwi:519437}}

I think that's plenty for now.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Woo hoo hoo, your collection plants are plenty nice eye candy, Geoff! Love the "foot" on your Dioscorea elephantipes! Since you've been so kind to include names with your Dudleya, I might actually go get names put on some of my pix! Thanks! Your Dyckia red leaf is especially nice-looking!! TFS!!

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Gorgeous collection! I want to dig into that Deuterocohnia brevifolia and see what's inside there. And while leaf extensions sort of scare me, I have to say I found Dyckia red leaf amazing. And the blue color and shape of the Dudleya pulverulenta is always one of my favorites. I have to say I have to learn how to learn how to distinguish the differences between the Dudleyas and Echeverias. I am sad to say I have no "D" plants, so this is a good excuse to
    buy a Dudleya.

There isn't any rule that says you can't go back and post on a prior letter!

Penny

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Wow! Apparently, there are a lot of 'D' plants that I like! Damn this game!

Great stuff, all...love all the dudleya...and that Dendrosicyos soccotrana...yeow!

Even snuck in a cycad...nice!

Tom

• landruc
    12 years ago

Lzrddr, I think the Dudleya in your fourth picture might be a Dudleya ingens.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Some dull when dormant dorstenias...;-(

{{gwi:519439}}

{{gwi:519441}}

Much more exciting when they are popping those otherworldly flowers in the summertime...

Tom

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Geoff, thanks for blowing the top off this thing! I didn't realize there would be so many D's!

Nice alliteration, Tom.

Delightful depictions, dudes and dudettes!
    Dag! That's Dutch. It means adieu.

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Ryan, fantastic plants I turn things like that to mush! you have the touch.

Colleen, great dyckia i love the burgandy color wish I could find such plants down here.

Rosemarie, wowow that is such an impressive collection of dudleyas, the color and texture are so great you really have some nice plants and I am in love with the dykia it is so perfect.

Lzrddr, your plants are beautiful it looks like you live in a botanical garden!

Tom really nice dorstenias, mine get to a certain age and then rot on me but I agree the flowers are really unique.

I don't have any 'D" plants other than this neglected dyckia it is labled marnier-lapostollei.
    I would like to ask if any one knows how to grow these plants without the ends of the leaves withering up, I just cant , maybe I keep them to dry?
    well thanks for any advice and thanks for sharing it is so nice to see such great plants. Ronda
    {{gwi:519442}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

^ love of my life plant there, that D. marnier-lapostollei! Gorgeous, Ronda.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Ronda,

Great plant - maybe a little more water (or a larger pot to grow in - that soil might be used up and chock full of root), but that's how they grow. I'd bet that that pot has all roots in it, though. It is a nice plant.

Colleen,

Another reason to drink Gran Marnier - doing so supports a succulent garden on the French Riviera (I think it is), as the family which runs the distillery donated the land and cash, I think, to fund a garden that looks down, quite steeply in some places, onto the Mediterranean.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

And talk about an exposition on Dudleya (the standoffish genus in the New World Crassulaceae) and Ryan's fleshy nubs, if I may...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

I don't know if these will qualify, since I just got them, but I wanted to jump and these are the only "D" rated plants I have.... I think??????? Just hope I don't kill them before I have the opportunity to enjoy them; they are a first for me!

{{gwi:509205}}

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Doc, I'm trying to figure out what they are named. Maybe "Dreadful" or "Dead Almost" or "Down in the Dumps?" I'm hoping they have a more scientific name you can share so if I ever get one, I'll know what to expect.

That first plant on the left, in the very front at the base there looks to be a spikey kind of short growth sprouting at the base. Is that a pup? Sort of looks out of place.

Penny

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Oh, Penny, Doth you make witticism of my recent acquisition! Dare I say young maiden, they are neither Dreadful nor Dead Almost nor Down in the Dumps... perhaps a tad weary from their long journey from lands far to the west. To quiesce your query, my lovely, they are from left to right:

Dorstenia foetida, D. foetida FKH 25470, D. sp L&V 10341, D. crispa, and D. crispa v lancifolia

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, funny you should mention... I had that plant tagged as Corpuscularia but upon some further research I found it has been lumped in with Delosperma. You know how this he-says-she-says thing goes. I'm going with Delosperma for now.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Doc, no insult meant to your darlings. My untrained eye and lack of experience definitely displayed itself. I took some time and searched around to see what they are going to grow up to look like and develope my knowledge base. I'd say you have some pretty unique plants there and decidedly not for a newbie like me who thought they were dead on sight! I hope you post some photos as they recover from their somewhat denuded state. I'm especially interested in seeing the flowers whenever that happens!

Penny

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Oh, Penny, I was just playing with you. Your knowledge is great because you aren't afraid to ask... none of us are that smart... well, maybe Rosemarie or CactusMcHarris....

Picture are what you want... pictures are what you get. I think, and maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself will know, one of the flowers is pregnant. And since the seed explode like Euphorbia, I have covered it in hopes that their trip and getting them re-established won't cause them to blast... die. The flowers are about 1/4" (1cm) across.

{{gwi:519444}}

{{gwi:519446}}

{{gwi:519448}}

• katluvr
    12 years ago

Super looking Dorstenias Howard the flowers look like so strange!

Hi colleen, thank you, I need to give this plant some TLC!

Jeff, yes I believe you are right it needs more water, I pulled it out of the pot and yep no dirt it is all roots, and it has 5 pups!
    SO as soon as I can move them all out side this spring it will get a nice new home. Thanks, Ronda

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Oh, I wasn't insulted! I guess one has to be careful for what they wish for. Now I'll probably have nightmares about tiny little monsters spewing forth across the planet from those pregnant flowers. Seriously, those look like tough little plants. Those fine little hairs that seem to completely cover the plant probably deter all the insects except those with the biggest mouths. But the tiny flower seem so inconspicuous one wonders how they attract insects to pollinate them, that is if they need insects. It's good to know that they will grow into something incredibly interesting!

These D plants sure are an unique bunch.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Holy moly...had to revisit to see the great bunch of plants everyone posted! Thanks for them all! I'm loving seeing new plants~learning all the time!

A few more Dudleya here (sorry I can't say which they are):
    {{gwi:519450}} {{gwi:519452}} {{gwi:519454}} {{gwi:519456}}

• Colleen E
    12 years ago

Rosemarie, LOVE those guys! So beautiful.

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Thanks, Colleen!

Found another one! :) I thought this one might be 'Cherry Coke',but don't think I ever got a positive ID on it.

Click for larger:
    {{gwi:519458}}

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

An absolutely stunning plant and perfect photo, Rosemarie! One of the joys of collecting plants to be sure!

Penny

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting