Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie1234_gw

My jade plant is completely limp- got frozen

stephanie1234
14 years ago

Help!

This jade plant has been in several generations of my boyfriends family and I think I could have killed in in 3 days. It looked great on Wednesday, but it got really cold for a few nights and on Saturday it was completly limp and now hangs over the 4 gallon pot. Can I save it? I watered it (looks like I shouldn't have) and brought it inside.... what else? My boyfriend is traumatized... he's been growing it for 10 years!

Please and Thank you!

Comments (16)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

That's terrible...!
    Watering is just about the worst thing for it. Cold is okay, but cold and wet spells rot.

Remove it from the pot and leave the root-ball wrapped in newspaper to dry out some.

Hopefully it'll just shrivel back to healthy tissue, and then resprout.

Two of my Jades were frozen December 5th, and both are slowly recovering....

Good luck!

Josh

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I certainly hope you can save it. I left mine outside as well after the rain, but the temps, have not dipped that low all winter, so I hope they make it through March, then I'm pretty sure they will be okay.
    I would also remove all soil from the root ball, replant if not rotted in dry soil, and let sit until you see new growth. Remove all rotted stems and roots. Wrap in news paper, or put in a dark place no newspaper, you need air to get to it. Norma

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry about your Jade plant. I hope the great advise you were given will save your plant. I think we've all had something similar happen(rot or frozen) to our plants so we know how it feels. Good luck!

• stephanie_e_hatcher_gmail_com
    13 years ago

THANK YOU!!! I have been canvasing the internet for 2 hrs trying to figure out why my young jade plant was going limp outside in the low temps (30s) and immediately began to weep fluid and turn even limper after moving indoors. Finally I found this thread with great help from Josh and Norma. I will do my best to dry out the roots and move to a pot with better drainage. My plant has LOTS of leaves and I'm guessing I should also brave pruning it... Should I wait until it dries out a bit and returns to a pot and new soil? It was so healthy and gorgeous until this past week. Having such bad luck in the past with houseplants, I was so proud! Hope my little guy will recover!

13 years ago

Hey, Steph!
    Jades are remarkably tough...they'll often pull through.
    Check the Thread I linked below to see the saga of my frozen Jade. She's still alive.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Frozen Jade - back from the dead....

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Stephanie:

Any chance of a photo of the Jade in question? It may help with a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Christopher

• pasimachus
    13 years ago

If you're already digging it up, you might even let it sit bare root for a while if you think there is rot/squishiness underground. It won't be trying to grow this time of year anyways. On the optimistic side, my sister in law had a nice jade which was frozen in the fall a few years ago and completely died back to the ground, but eventually recovered.

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Stepanie, I sure hope you can save it.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Steph nothing is dead until it is really dead. Cut off the rot and do what was suggested. I'm so sorry about the plant. It just may fool you can come back. Malcolm Hollaway England, that that happen to him one year, and in the Spring it came back from the roots, so don't give up on it. Put it in a warm room in the house and just wait and sees what happens. Do what was suggested above, that is a great suggestion. Norma

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

'It's not dead until we say it's dead.'

Lots of luck on your plant.

Pasimachus,

Actually, given heat and light, as well as some water, they are in growth here, and I'm guessing it's not an isolated incident. See my thread about what's in growth. But your suggestion is a good one about digging it up and letting it sit.

13 years ago

Ditto to what Cactus said, above:
    Jades are growing right now.

Josh

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Stephanie do you have a picture of it when it was healthy. I may be able to ID it and replace the plant. My guess that it would be a obliqua that was the first species to come into this country at least 30 years ago. We have them planted all over this valley of mine my neighbors will give me a piece. Big teaspoon shaped leaves? Norma

• pasimachus
    13 years ago

I can imagine that if you are in the far south your outdoor jades might be growing. If you are in the north, they must be indoors now. Mine are dormant, but I keep my house cool (daily range 60-68F) and the bigger ones just get window light. Do you keep your house warmer and/or use supplimentary lights?

13 years ago

Pasimachus,

I'm north of the 49th parallel and my Crassula are in growth and inside - they'd have to be or they'd be mush. We maintain the rooms they're in at at least 60F. I don't have super-large Crassula but even if I did, they'd be in growth too. It's in their genes. Water yours a little and sit them near windows - as long as the temps are as you mentioned yours will be growing, too. No supplemental lights - just limited sunshine in the lee of a hill.

13 years ago

I'm at the 39th parallel, and mine are on windowsills, as well, growing happily.
    My house thermostat is set at 64ðF.

Josh

13 years ago

Yup, not very far at all from our airport, relatively speaking (not that that has any bearing on growing Crassula ovata, aside from the fact that it's the facility I landed at with the initial cuttings).

50� 42' 9" N / 120� 26' 54" W