Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceramic pots & drainage question

Posted by MamaFlo none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 21:54

Hi all,
I've been seeing all these really cute pics of various succulents growing in tea cups and all kinds of ceramic bowls, urns etc. These do not appear to have any kind of drainage holes.
How do they keep the plants alive with no drainage??
do they have a layer of rocks or something to allow for no holes?

Love the look but don't want to drown anything!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceramic pots & drainage question

It is possible to keep succulents alive in containers with no drainage, just much more difficult. They could be fine for 2 years and then one time you over water and they end up dead (coming from experience). One other thing I've learned is that the material the container is made of can sometimes compensate for no holes. I have been successful using unglazed terracotta pots with no holes because the pots allow water out and air in.

o

I agree. One thing you can do is to use a diamond tipped drill bit and drill holes while using water at the same time. There are some good videos on You Tube showing how to do it. Plants always do better with some type of drainage. Sometimes it's just boring to use the same clay pots over and over again. There are lots of creative ideas out there. At least, that's my opinion.

o

That they appear to have no holes

or

They have no holes?

I would be very leery of growing plants with no drainage. As is mentioned, terra cotta does dry out faster, but that's no substitute for a drainage hole, particularly since TC is so easy to drill, with just about any drill bit (glass.tile, masonry, even high-speed steel if you have to). The plants will live, but they don't do well in the long-term, so eschew holeless plants is my advice.

o

That's what I thought! Thanks for the tips--i may have to try and drill a few holes in some thrift store cups to see if I can do it with out breaking the cups.

o

If you try that, perhaps place some masking tape where you're going to drill first, I hear it helps prevent the cup from breaking or chipping at the drilling point. I don't do any drilling myself, but have seen this tip in numerous places. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here