Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to transplant sedlings and how?

Posted by sqftgarden_in_wnc 6b/7a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 22:01

VERY new to cacti and succulents. I, as an experiment, sowed some Cacti mix seedlings indoors just using Schultz Cacti and Succulent Mix. Doing fine so far, About 14 have sprouted so far- from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch tall. No problems with damp off, mold etc. They are in sanitized yogurt containers in Ziploc bags and in sanitized 1/2 liter plastic soda bottles. 2 of the sprouts are in a sanitized plastic egg carton with ventilation. The best growth so far is the ziploc bags. They are all in a sunny window during the day, not full sun and I try to keep the soil moist and a little condensation going.
So, what's next? When do I transplant and how? What soil? What environment? I guess I am so new to Cacti and Succulents that, heck, I may not even know the right questions to ask! Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to transplant sedlings and how?

You can happily leave them until they are all touching. Beyond that most will be OK, but they won't grow as quickly as they might with more space, so that's when I transplant.

It sounds like yours are only a few weeks old, maybe a couple of months, too early to be transplanting yet. Keep the bags on until you start to get moss or algae growing, unless you have extremely sensitive species.

Keep them out of the sun, especially the ones in bags. Baby cactus don't like direct sun. Some of the tougher ones you can start to introduce to the sun at maybe three or four months old. Even then you'll probably want to hide them under a layer or two of newspaper.

o
RE: When to transplant seedlings and how?

They are about a month old.
The list on the seed packet said it contained the following:
Sagauro
Hedgehog
Fishhook Barrel
Dollar Prickly Pear
Desert Prickly Pear
Christmas Cholla
Cane Cholla
Santa Rita Prickly Pear
Cardo'n

Special instructions for any of these? Any that take a really long time to germinate? Is there a way to ID my cacti seedlings?

o
RE: When to transplant sedlings and how?

sqftgarden_in_wnc

How are yours doing? Do you have any pictures? Have you had any luck with ID? I also recently purchased a cactus seed mixture and am in the same predicament. Please share if you have anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here