Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best soil for jade cuttings

Posted by bassetlvr S.W. FL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 08 at 22:14

I have a dilemma. I managed to root some jade cuttings by putting them in a shallow cup with just a bit of water. I kept it on my kitchen windowsill and lo and behold they have roots - - lots of them. I want to pot them up but I'm not sure what type of soil they should go into. I've been down this road before and everytime it seems the cuttings just rot on me or the roots just completely wither away. I've used Schultz cactus soil, but maybe that's not the right kind.
Does anybody have any advice? I'd really like to keep these cuttings going so that one day I have a half way decent jade plant!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best soil for jade cuttings

Maybe it's just me but I'm still stunned and surprised when anyone says they managed to root jade cuttings in a cup of water. Wow!

I never do anything special. I just take a bunch of topsoil and throw them in a pot. I'm sure quite a few will disagree with me though.

o

I'v rooted Jade cuttings in water and by just sticking them in potting soil and had luck both ways. I don't think the jade cutting cares how you root them, they seem to grow

Bear

o

I use cactus soil, turface and granite for succulents. (Tapla) Al in the container forum (do a search) has a great soil mix for cactus and succulents. Very fast draining mix is definitely recommended.

Good luck!!

o

I did what dragonstone did. I even plant their falling leaves. I have many pots now and they are doing well.

Good luck.

o

Yep, just put them into appropriate soil in small pots and they
should grow just fine. If the cuttings already have roots, I'd
mist the soil and very gently set them into the hole, then tuck soil
around them carefully. The "water roots" might not survive,
but if you can hold off watering for a week or two, the cuttings
will begin the rooting process all over again. It should be quite
simple and rewarding. Good luck, and share pictures!

*Soil: see Al's (Tapla's) recipe.
I use a cactus & succulent soil, with 30% or so Perlite for quick
drainage. I have started to blend in garden dirt, as well as various
gritty media like small gravel, sharp decorative rock, charcoal,
and a dash of oyster shell. The most important thing is to cut down
on the amount of peat moss in your mix, so that you can control
moisture levels properly.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here