Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arehbella

Should this jade plant be repotted/pruned ?

Arehbella
12 years ago

Image:

{{gwi:520616}}

I repotted once, about 7 years ago and I've never pruned it before. If it needs to be pruned which parts would you suggest to cut off ? Thank you :)

Comments (24)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

I'd suggest, at a minimum, all of the hanging, somewhat-spindly branches. After they're cleared, repot it and continue cutting, now that you've got a more viewable plant (but that's just me - you can not continue to cut, too). Check out the jade / Crassula ovata posts / pictures here - they'll give you some ideas about how you can go about shaping it. It's a nice plant, for sure, and some pruning will improve its already good looks - a styling, if you will.

• elichka
    12 years ago

I would repot into gritty or well draining mix.
    Remove all the old soil,hose it, let it dry,check for rotten roots.
    Cut them and sprinkle w/cinnamon. after repotting dont water for several days.

I would put it in terracotta pot, dries out faster. it seems your pot has saucer attached, so water accumulates and it leads to rot. You should be able to water and it should run right away.

Al suggest to do repot in July. read some posts with name tapla. the only thing I'm still confused should you repot then prune the branches or other way around. i hope someone would help me
    Inna

12 years ago

Inna,

It's suggested to prune and then repot, since you'll have to juggle / place a lighter plant mass and it's easier, if it's cut first, to determine what the face (front) of the plant is, in case it's going into an irregularly shaped pot.

I would repot any Crassula ovata now - that way it's got a few months of getting used to its new pot and growing before the heat of the summer, when most Crassula slow down/stop growth.

• elichka
    12 years ago

Jeff,

Thanks for your advice, it means I need to repot some of mine now;)If only Turface would be available in Brooklyn. I have to order on Ebay .
    Inna

12 years ago

Inna,

Have you joined the Houseplant Society or the NY C&S Society - they might have contacts who can get it for you more easily.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Thanks for the Local Plug Jeff, but I haven't heard of any sources for Turface here.

I was going to suggest trying for pumice at Brooklyn Bonsai, they used to carry it (maybe they have Turface as well?).

• jeepman69
    12 years ago

Inna,

You might want to check the link below. Might help find someone who carrys it close to you. There is a place on the link to put your state in and it brings up everyone who carry Turface.

Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Turface Carriers

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

I would say a big YES to both your questions.
    If it were mine I would also set the plant higher up in the pot by making sure the finished soil level was no more than an inch below the rim of the pot if you use a similar sized one. Tetrracotta is best I find as it makes the crassula more stable as they can get top heavy.
    I would prune it severely. They are tough and respond well to drastic pruning followed by a pepot onto gritty soil.
    On my previously unpruned plants I picked off every leaf first so I could see the branch structure more clearly....BUT, I didn't have a fraction as many branches as yourself so maybe not in your case!
    So, for starters I personally would cut off every branch that is pencil thickness or less. Then every slightly thicker one. No doubt you will now be standing in front of a leafless plant wondering what crime you have committed, but you will have done it a favour in ridding it of the weak straggly growth with big spaces between the leaves and begun to give it some structure. I would then stand back and take a good look at it from all angles and see what kind of shape you want to aim for in general. Then go in again and take out ones slightly thicker, taking them back to within a couple of inches of where they join a thicker branch. Hopefully it should end up being a plant with a trunk, long main branches, shorter slightly thinner secondary brances, and even shorter branches coming off these. Does that make sense?
    Then I would repot into fresh gritty mix that is slightly damp, set it aside and wait for new tufts of leaves to sprout...and they will!
    Don't water till new growth sprouts, if your weather's hot, just spray it lightly every now and then all over the branches....this will help the sprouts push through as you will only have the brown bark covered stems having cut off the green growth.
    When new growth appears, sometimes it's not always right at the tip of a branch, so re-trim any ends of branches down to just above the set of new leaves so not to leave a bare stem above.
    Perhaps not everyone will agree, but this is what I would do if it were mine. Let us know what you decide to do?
    Gill from the UK.

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

I agree with most of the advice given, particularly Gill's detailed directions. Severe pruning is in order, and I would use a terra cotta pot, unglazed, for both quicker drying of the planting media and, as Gill states, stability for the plant. Overall, the plant looks healthy, ready to withstand the severe pruning it can only benefit from.

Christopher

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

I guess beauty *really* is in the eye of the beholder. :-)

I find this jade lovely just as it is...with a repot, of course.

Linda

• elichka
    12 years ago

Thank you Karen!!! Bonsai of Brooklyn has turface,and grit,and pumice. prices are very reasonable. Will order! Now, the question is whats better: pumice or turface(same price)?

Inna

12 years ago

Inna,

Without a doubt, pumice by a mile.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Yayyyyy Inna,

Good to know, thanks for checking it out & getting back to us. I'm so glad to know this. I've had my own pumice source but eventually it will run out & I'll need more.

I have no experience w/ Turface, I need to look it up.

I do belong to the NY Indoor Gardening Society, meeting next week as a matter of fact. I'll be sure to mention this to the woman who keeps up w/ local suppliers for us.

Arehbella,

So you've been given a lot to think about, eh? I'll be curious to see what you decide.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Yayyyyy Inna,

Good to know, thanks for checking it out & getting back to us. I'm so glad to know this. I've had my own pumice source but eventually it will run out & I'll need more.

I have no experience w/ Turface, I need to look it up.

I do belong to the NY Indoor Gardening Society, meeting next week as a matter of fact. I'll be sure to mention this to the woman who keeps up w/ local suppliers for us.

Arehbella,

So you've been given a lot to think about, eh? I'll be curious to see what you decide.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Not to steal a thread and I already know the correct answer, but does anyone think my jade needs a haircut? Well do you?

I've had this jade for over 25 years. Every couple of years I whack it back just a little. It was in the same clay pot for over 20 of those years and about 2 years ago, it got so heavy I couldn't move it back outside; it summer's outdoors. So I used my hammer and cracked the old 12" pot and put in a 14" plastic one. Seems pretty happy in plastic and it's a whole lot lighter. This year I think we are going to go for a MAJOR haircut!

{{gwi:520619}}

• Arehbella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up pruning it a little bit and repotting it too.

{{gwi:520622}}

12 years ago

There's more low-hanging fruit to pick, IMO.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I must be hanging out here too long -- I thought the same thing on seeing the pic.

• paracelsus
    12 years ago

I agree with Jeff. Keep plucking until it sings!

Brad

• elichka
    12 years ago

I love your pot, its very pretty.
    I agree that you may continue trimming. All this skinny arching branches must go.
    If you can put this outside (weather permitting) the new growth will be compact. Just introduce it slowly to prevent burns on leaves.
    Inna

• Arehbella
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay I will trim off some more, I just chopped a whole lot off the first time, so I was hesitant to cut it even more.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Downward growth in particular could stand to go.

We know it's dramatic or can seem so, but folks here suggesting this know these plants to be really rugged & sturdy & can take a lot.

After a time your plant will be even nicer for the 'haircut'.

• scsva
    12 years ago

OMG!! I love those jades as is and would not touch a thing.

Way to Grow!

Susan

• ndfay
    7 years ago

I was given a large Jade plant about a year ago and it really needs to be trimmed back I believe and moved to a new pot as the weight of the large trunk is braking away the plastic pot it is in now . How do I go about moving such a large plant? I am new at being the owner of a Jade and still learning how to care for it ... thankfully it seems to be thriving in its new home !