Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
care of dish garden

Posted by a-mazing 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 22:31

I just purchased this dish garden and have no idea how to care for it. I love it and it looks great in my family room. Would just like it to stay that way. Thanks for your help
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k593/gracescaggs/IMG_20110321_221031.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: care of dish garden

In case the link doesn't work.....
Photobucket

o

It'd probably be best for me to leave the actual IDs to the experts here, but I'd say, first off, no hot, direct sun, but instead bright indirect light. You especially won't want that delicate blue to get more sunburnt, which in my experience, can happen faster than you might think when you're first starting out. It's a very pretty dish.

o

All of those species I grow here in San Fernando Valley get full hot sun, very little water, I live above 35 miles inland from the Ocean. You are going to in time need to restart all of them, they are outgrowing the bowl. The one on the left side of the screen is th only one that needs the indirect light. It looks to me to be a gasteria/ hyworthia hybrid and may need the indirect light. The fuzzy Kalanchoe 'Chocolate Soldier' can use full sun, the other Echeviera need full sun as well, and I won't venture a guess as to names. Be very careful of watering, especailly this time of year. They may not do well in the house. Norma

o

Disregard me and listen to Norma. :)

o

As Norma alluded to, if they were mine, I would repot them in individual pots, in terra cotta, using a well draining potting mix.

Christopher

o

OTOH, if they were mine, I might get a larger dish, use the porous soil that others have noted, and slowly acclimate them to full sun. The blue glaucousness that Colleen notes is actually a protection against full sun, but as long as you slowly get them used to full sun, they'll be happiest there and grow the most. They'll grow faster, too, as long as you give them regular (but not too frequent) waterings.

o

Thanks for all your input. I was hoping I could keep them in the dish for a little while longer since they look so pretty. I have them in my family room where they get light from the window but I guess that's not going to be enough light. How often should I water them? Once a week?? I'm clueless.

o

Never water on a schedule, and, as we say here, "When in doubt, don't!" ;-)

You'll want to water when the soil has dried out. To determine when that might be,
you can insert a wooden skewer (chopstick, et cetera) deep into the soil - then check the
skewer for moisture every few days.

Indoors, without supplemental lights, certainly won't be enough light.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here