Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocimum_nate

Looking for Epiphytic cacti

ocimum_nate
10 years ago

I am looking for tropical or rainforest type cacti seeds or cuttings. I am a horticulturist for a non profit aquarium I am trying to build an exotic cacti collection for my journey to south america exhibit. If anyone has cuttings or seeds they can spare I would greatly appreciate it. I do have some cacti seeds I can trade. Some hardy desert species, christmas cacti, and Joshua Tree seeds. Please contact me if you are interested.

Comments (8)

• naoh123
    10 years ago

This is going to be a scant lead at best, and hopefully the cacti pros can offer something more, but 3-4 weeks ago tropiflora was offering a specimen marked as an epiphytic cactus. It was one of their weekly specials, they had only a handful and they were asking $100. You might email them and ask them what species this was. Good luck!

• FrugalFanny
    10 years ago

Hi Nate,

I think this is a very interesting project. Unfortunately I can't be of much help to you in the way of offering trades since all of my epis are very small still. However, I noticed that there are a couple of other posts in this forum right now that center around various epiphytic cacti. Maybe you could approach those folks directly?

I'm also wondering if it would be worth asking around at local botanical gardens/nurseries, etc. to see if they might donate some cuttings for your exhibit. Especially since your aquarium is a non profit, they may be happy to unload some cuttings or specimens on you.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Best,
    FF

ps. I'll be excited to see photos later on when this is up and running, and even in the process of getting it there. Epis are some of my favorites:)

• chrisware
    10 years ago

I have a few epi's that can be clipped. I'm trying to find banana plants.... Gran nain or red bananas

• caligrown
    10 years ago

sorry I cant help you with the cuttings you are after. I just wanted to advise people against signing up for tropifloras newsletter. It might not be to bad for the average c&s lover but, if you love bromeliads STAY AWAY. They toss up some cant live with outs quite regularly. I have personally forked over an excessive amount of money for some of their plants.

@Noah123- I save all their newsletters. I cant find the plant you are talking about. I have only gone back 4 weeks though. If it is of any importance I will look through though them though and find the exact species.

Regards, Patrick

• naoh123
    10 years ago

I looked back through mine as well; i deleted some of them from the time frame I referenced so I was hoping that may have been the sale including this, but maybe not. My memory may be playing tricks and it was further back. I am quite sure it was tropiflora, though. They're pretty good about replying, although it does take some time. Again, going on memory here, but I recall them replying within two weeks.

• carolthistle1939
    10 years ago

I'm new to this site, but am looking for someone to share a strap or two of orchid cactus. A dear friend (now deceased) had given me a start, but it died when we moved it to Arizona. I had it in the house during the hottest times....and felt really bad to lose it. I'd be glad to pay for a start of this gorgeous plant. My e-mail address: bigbird@wamego.net Thank you!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Carol,

Don't mean to be mean or a bummer, but pls. read the Rules: talk of money is not allowed here & the Rules state its mere mention can be cause for someone's removal from here.

Also, it's ill advised to post one's private email address online here, most of us advise agains it. Just enable your Member Page & folks can email you thru that.

• Sundewd
    10 years ago

Well, I have several species of Rhipsalis and Schlumbergera . Also have Rhipsalidopsis which produces small Epiphyllum style flowers.