Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hadrian_gw

ID help please.

hadrian
14 years ago

Would the powers that be please help me ID these plants?

The following three pics are of the same plant. I think it's some kind of Mondadenium but can't narrow it down further:

{{gwi:522037}}

{{gwi:522038}}

{{gwi:522039}}

The next one is a Cotyledon, i think:

{{gwi:522041}}

And this is a really pretty Agave, but I can't find any pics in my books that even looks close:

{{gwi:522043}}

This next one is a Kalanchoe, but what species?

{{gwi:522045}}

My best guess for the next one is Graptoveria 'Bella', any ideas?

{{gwi:522047}}

thanks in advance,

Bri.

PS, I hope these pics aren't too big. I apologize if they are.

Comments (21)

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

I wish I could do that, post pictures.
    I have never seen that species with yellow flowers, mine has red/pink flowers. Yours is very pretty, I'm not sure on the Graptoveria at all. It looks like one but I don't know the species well enough to confirm the name. The Kalanchoe might be a hybrid. Especially if purchased at a box store I looked in several books and can't come up with it.
    I need to go out and look at my Agave and see if I can find the label, and hope it isn't buried. I have one of these. The second one I just give up on. I'ts nothing I have seen before, unless the picture sizes are fooling me again, I not good with pictures, they have depth. On the Agave look at the marvelous leaf markings on the back of each leaf. Norma

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hi Norma,

thanks for looking into the IDs. if you still need help posting pictures, let me know. I am nearby and can stop by and try to help you.

Bri.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Very NICE Bri...I especially love the first photo!! Thanks for posting...

• dav4vid
    14 years ago

BRI:
    I wish I could help you ID these, but alas I am an idiot. But I would really like a cutting of that first one, looks like a euphorbia to me. Please see my HAVE list for anything you might want to trade for a cutting.

• paracelsus
    14 years ago
  • norma_2006
    14 years ago

Kalanchoe tomotosa It need more sun, it doesn't look exactly like mine but has a good start. #4 could be Kalanchoe tomotosa. I certainly agree with paracelsus, regarding the name of the Agave. Mine is labeled the same. Norma

• kaktuskris
    14 years ago

First one I was thinking Euphorbia as well. Does it bleed a white sap when injured? If so, it is a Euphorbia, and that white sap is toxic, so wash off with soap and water any which you may come in contact with immediately.

As Norma stated, the 4th one looks like a Kalanchoe tomentosa, aka Panda Plant, but I have never seen one with so little brown on the leaf tips.

Christopher

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma, puglvr1, David, paracelsus, Christopher,

thanks for the comments and ID help!

David: i just send you an email about trading

paracelsus: i've come across that site with Agav titanota Felipe Otero. i have another agave that looks alot more like those pictures than the one i posted on this thread. this one looks different to me. but since you and Norma both agree on this, you guys are probably right.

Christopher: i think you are right, that first plant should be some kind of euphorbia. i thought it was a monadenium because i have another plant right next to it that was labled a monadenium, but i lost the tag :( anyway, that first plant on this thread does have the white sap and i have been careful handling it. and regarding the Kalanchoe, i have both K. tomentosa Panda Plant and Chocolate Soldier. i can see the resemblance of the plant on this thread with the Panda Plant, but they really are different. like you said, this plant doesn't ave the prominent brown tips. and the leaves of this plant is also shaped differently and they are not as thick. it might just be some hybrid. oh well...

thanks again all for the help,

Bri.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

I thought I posted this comment a day or two ago, but it seems not. I believe Monadenium ARE in the larger family of Euphorbia; Synadenium too. I had a Monadenium some yrs. ago, thought that's how I learned this.

• kaktuskris
    14 years ago

PG: As I understand it, Monadenium used to be a separate genus, now they are lumped in, along with many others, with the already overcrowded Euphorbias. I don't know why, though. When I bought my Monadenium schubei last year, the greenhouse worker told me it was a Euphorbia. But it was in flower, and a Monadenium flower is different from a Euphorbia cyathium, so I was puzzled until I got a positive ID on the plant.

Christopher

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Hadrian, I don't know what they are, but they are really nice. I've never seen anything like the yellow one. It's simply beautiful!

Norma, I know that you've been trying to use photobucket. You have some gorgeous plants and need to master this photo posting thing. I've used PB off and on for several years. Lately, for some reason, the site is very slow.

Let me suggest that you try Imageshack.us You don't have to register (I did register because I wanted to keep my pics organized. In addition, I wanted the option to keep my photos private if I chose to do so.) However, sometimes, we have to take baby steps before we learn to run. When you go to the site, you'll see a browse button. They also give you a direct link to your photo. You just copy the link and paste it into your post. Just give it a try when you have some time to kill. I know you'll get the hang of it. It was trial and error for me when I first started. Good luck!

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

The 2nd plant, can you give us another view of the whole plant, please? The ends of the leaves look like Cotyledon, but the fuzziness is like Echeveria or some Crassula. Hard to tell from this close up. How long are the leaves?

The Kalanchoe is a hybrid of K. tomentosa x K. millotii. It has mistakenly been called Kalanchoe 'Behartii' (thinking it was K. beharensis x K. millotii). They are selling it at the box stores as K. beharensis (incorrect). Mine is getting ready to flower. :)

The last plant looks like xGraptoveria 'Opalina' to me, but I'd have to see flowers & some indicator of the size of the plant to be sure. (xGraptoveria 'Bella' is a dark, brownish purple plant.)

BTW, EXCELLENT Agave! Primo looks!

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Rosemarie!!!!

that was very helpful info regarding the Kalanchoe and Graptoveria. and i am pretty sure you are right about it being G. opalina. the pics online look exactly like it. it's a wonderful plant, with colors that vary from greenish/blue to pink/purple to a glaucus white.

i am at work right now, but when i get home, i will post more pics of plant #2. the leaves are the same shape and length of my other cotyledon, yet it has the fur.

and thanks for the comment on the Agave. i love that plant. do you think it's A. titanota 'Filipe Otero', too?

thanks,

Bri.

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey Rosemarie,

as promised, here are some more pics of the second plant, complete with a ruler for size reference:

{{gwi:522049}}

{{gwi:522051}}

{{gwi:522053}}

{{gwi:522055}}

i'd me much obliged if you can figure out what it is.

thanks,

Bri.

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

Nice additional pix, Bri. Thanks a bunch!

Well, the tips are like those found on Cotyledon. And they do have fuzzy ones...like C. tomentosa (Cub Paws). I am not familiar with any Cotyledon with fuzzy leaves that long. I will look for you, but I might not be on the computer for a week, so don't be surprised if it's awhile before you hear from me. In the meanwhile, someone else may come up with something. :)

Okay, ix-nay all I just said...I took a quick look & I think you may have Cotyledon campanulata, although yours seems more fuzzy than most I've found on the net.

Gotta go! Bedtime!

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

that's it, Rosemarie!!!!

thank you so much. you are a whiz at ID'ing plants. you should open a succulent nursery, if you don't already own one.

Bri.

• land3499
    14 years ago

Bri,
    I think the first one is Euphorbia mauritanica. Many of the shrubby "green stick" Euphorbias look similar, but I'm pretty sure that's it. Especially if you're anywhere near the West Coast, where it's pretty popular.

-R

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Bri I posted some pictures tonight on this forum, thank you again, please come over so I can give you some more plants. I am actually doing it, it may take me two hours to get it right, but I wasn't going to let this PC get me down, I did it all by myself, I feel so proud of me. I have more plants for you.
    Thank you,
    I think one of the plants that is fuzzy is a Kalanchoe of some sort, probably a hybrid. I'll show you mine to compare. The more sun they have the more they will look like a species. Box store usually don't have species plants, mostly hybrids. That is one of the reasons they don't put the names on them. Norma

• hadrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

land3499:

yes, i think you are right. it is E. mauritanica. David on this forum turned me onto a european site that has pics of virtually every succulent euphorbia and i spent hours going through them and finally found that it looks exactly like E. mauritanica. thanks for the ID and confirmation.

Norma:

you're very welcome. i am so happy to see your pictures on this forum. it's been a long time coming. but i would venture to guess that people on here feel they have been worth the wait. i would be happy to go back to your place for a visit sometime soon.

Bri.

• rosemariero6
    14 years ago

Bri
    The ID of Agave titanota 'Felipe Otero' seems reasonable to me. Your plant does look like a hybrid of A. titanota & Agave horrida. How large is your plant? Pix can make size deceptive.

• Carolyn Howe
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Kalanchoe hybrid 'Behartii' - A hybrid between Kalanchoe beharensid and Kalanchoe millottii. I just found it outside at the major chain grocery and bought it, during Mother's Day. It was pretty so I brought it home!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz